Hello from a "vet newbie" (who has a few Qs)

Welcome for Newcomers, enter here for information and a warm drink before you begin.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

goonergaz
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Hello from a "vet newbie" (who has a few Qs)

Postby goonergaz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:13 am

Hello one and all.

Firstly I should say I was a KO fan day one. Loved it to bits & bought all the expansion packs etc. In fact at one point I travelled to London for the UK KO tourney (well I say UK - it might have been regional - but I do know the saim was that the winner would be playing against Europes finest). I got to the final where I urinated from a great height on my opponent only for their keeper to play a blinder (remember those games where you just couldn't score!) for him to break away and score with one of his rare chances (is he hear today I wonder!?).

Anyway...moving on...having recently been disgruntled by Retro Gamers KO feature I decided to splash out on an adapter - dust off my Konix Speed King and try to figure out how the hell to get WinUAE to work!? lol
A few pounds lighter and hours wasted I finally get to play and am re-loving this game...so I've been playing KO2 without the add-ons and I downloaded your updated version (is it 1.08) - great work - love the fact it's been lovingly updated through the years :)

My questions are (having done little more than play a couple of one off games):
Does this include the expansion disks?
Do I need to get those too or should I just stick to this?
Should all features be switched on - is that how you guys play in comps?
Anything else a nood should know (I'm off to do more reading)?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Re: Hello from a "vet newbie" (who has a few Qs)

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:29 am

goonergaz wrote:Does this include the expansion disks?

No, KO2CV basically just caters for the common denominator, basic KO2, but pimped up ;)

goonergaz wrote:Do I need to get those too or should I just stick to this?

Just stick with KO2CV, although feel free to have a stroll down memory lane with the expansions by yourself.

goonergaz wrote:Should all features be switched on - is that how you guys play in comps?

The features are mainly there for fun, boot KO2CV and what you see is basically what we play in competitions.

goonergaz wrote:Anything else a nood should know (I'm off to do more reading)?

Well you are already in the right subforum!

Have a browse through Garry's excellent thread.. http://www.ko-gathering.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=12517
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:55 am

Welcome!
Nice presentation post! :)
Konix Speed King... a great 2 hands joystick, difficult to handle but very fast. I loved it.

goonergaz wrote:Does this include the expansion disks?

KO2CV comes from 1.4 plus few mods to make the competition simple, basically a sort of "plug and play" disk to not waste time during tournaments.
So, practically speaking, you don't need to change any setting to play the way we play in tournament. it doesn't include expansions for Kick Off 2. It doesn't include the Extended Version (overhead kicks, referee, chants). it is simply a "mod" of Kick Off 2 V1.4E
goonergaz wrote:Do I need to get those too or should I just stick to this?

Just stick on this
goonergaz wrote:Should all features be switched on - is that how you guys play in comps?

Said already, load and play, anything else is needed
goonergaz wrote:Anything else a nood should know (I'm off to do more reading)?

Yes! There is the Kick Off 2 World Cup this November, Milan, Italy. may be you would try to see if you are still able to urinate from the great height! just let us to know, in case, my umbrella will be needed :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:12 am

Hi Gaz! Welcome to the forum (or should I say home :D)

Tell us more about that London tourney - sounded epic! 8) I don't know of the player you mentioned. Do you remember which year this was/how many attended/who else was there?

As Steve and Gianni say KO2CV really is plug and play awesomeness, competition ready, with countless options for you to explore. Checkout the EASY guide for hosting, KOASI for players and tournies (past, present and future) and when the time is right, we'll look forward to meeting you at a gathering one day.

Any more questions, just ask.
Cheers
Gaz
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
goonergaz
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby goonergaz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:25 pm

Steve Camber wrote:some godly talk

wow, first to reply was god himself...I am humbled :wink:
goonergaz
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby goonergaz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Torchiador wrote:it doesn't include expansions for Kick Off 2. It doesn't include the Extended Version (overhead kicks, referee, chants). it is simply a "mod" of Kick Off 2 V1.4E

That's a shame - I did like the extras like overhead kicks.

Torchiador wrote: may be you would try to see if you are still able to urinate from the great height! just let us to know, in case, my umbrella will be needed :)

It wasn't you was it? Much as I'd love to attend I couldn't possibly get that trip past the Mrs! lol
goonergaz
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby goonergaz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:37 pm

gdh82 wrote:Tell us more about that London tourney - sounded epic! 8) I don't know of the player you mentioned. Do you remember which year this was/how many attended/who else was there?

Unfortunately I can barely remember what I had for breakfast so all I remember is I was yound and had to train to London - so all I know is it was 1989-1991 (at a total guess bassed on the fact it was the big footy game and sensi wasn't around)...that's the best I can do...I think I played around 5 or 6 games to get to the final - it was a knockout based thing, really busy to begin with but I guess as folk got knocked out they went home...was gutted to lose in that way!
goonergaz
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby goonergaz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Steve, the work you've done is simply amazing...thanks so much, I look forward to fine-tuning my skills and maybe taking it online...
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 pm

goonergaz wrote:

Ha!!!!

Let me know when you are ready to go online and I'll guide you through it. There is much fun to be had ;)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Wich reminds me; I've got a new adaptor to try out. :)

Welcome aboard Gooner. And if I can get the WorldCup-trip around MY missis, anyone can get it around theire missis :lol:
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:38 pm

He's not god, hes just a naughty little boy!
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
goonergaz
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby goonergaz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Steve Camber wrote:
goonergaz wrote:

Ha!!!!

Let me know when you are ready to go online and I'll guide you through it. There is much fun to be had ;)

Yes, I suppose Jesus would be a better fit with DD being God.

Fun? You mean for you guys whipping my sorry backside...I've been-a-readin' (http://www.ko-gathering.com/forum/viewt ... =5&t=12764) and it looks like even at my best I was well short of you guys...need some serious playtime before I even begin to think of "running" online! :mrgreen:
goonergaz
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby goonergaz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Freshmaker wrote:Wich reminds me; I've got a new adaptor to try out. :)

Welcome aboard Gooner. And if I can get the WorldCup-trip around MY missis, anyone can get it around theire missis :lol:

very pleased with mine ~£20 well spent to step into that time-machine...shame the adaptor doesn't give you temporary mind control over the Mrs :lol: