The sunday online tournament thread

Talk about on-line Kick Off

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: The sunday online tournament thread

Postby gdh82 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:32 pm

Well played again guys! Welcome to Mugen too. Like the look of those scripts, especially how it labels matches individually and by round 8) Dnielsen was certainly on an impressive goal trail tonight! 8) :no1:
Last edited by gdh82 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Thanks, gdh82, and thanks to all for playing. That was a lot of fun tonight, with a lot of intensity going on all around. With 4 players, we didn't have to wait every third game any more :-) Also, with one more player, there suddenly was just a bit more of a feeling of having to adjust to a new opponent all the time :shock:

A big thanks is in order to Rayge for creating this tournament script. It's really great that we can have automatic fixtures and standings at all times. I think the script can handle no more than 6 players at the moment... So there's still plenty of room for 2 more to join us one of the next times we find a time to play :lol:
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:40 pm

Excellent work guys! Keep the online game alive. Surely more will join especially with the script developments :)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:40 pm

:)

Thanks.
6 players was to experiment it. It shouldn't be hard to have more, but I'd love to see 6 players at the same time in the channel, first ^^
Mugen
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Mugen » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:11 pm

Hey guys,

thanks for letting me join the online tournament. It was a big pleasure and made a lot of fun. :D

From now on I'll play this tournament as often as i can and i hope some other players will join this tournament.
Thanks to rayge for developing the tournament script. He did a great job.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:56 pm

Mugen wrote:Hey guys,

thanks for letting me join the online tournament. It was a big pleasure and made a lot of fun. :D

Hi Mugen,

Welcome to the forum too and hope to see ya around.... :)

Cheers
Garry
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:59 am

Tuborg VIII - held on June 3rd and 4th at night...

Many things to say about this one, I'll show the results first.

At last, and as expected, everyone's training is giving results !

Dnielsen, who recently switched from keyboard to joystick, still has an awesome eye to know how to score in any position. Congratulations to you, you keep improving.

Logos gets an excellent second place, beating me twice. It is no big surprise, because he had shown he has the potential in the past, even when being slaughtered in the first tournaments, he never gave up and worked on it. He even has fun when he loses and keeps the smile, which the good attitude to improve. Now that he has a very good organisation in defense and reads the scanner more often, he can attack much more and make good results. Go on like that, you have an excellent style.

Mugen, even if he finished last, also has the potential to make good results. He's better than the rest at handling the ball in the middle, he's very fast and dangerous. If he works on finishing, he will be very tough to beat, as he has a big amount of chances to score in every game.

Rayge... I lost my kick off mo-jo tonight, missing intereceptions in defense, needing 3 guys to counter one attack, running around the ball (you all know what I'm talking about)... just to much to hope for any good result, especially when I consider myself better than the others when it's not the case. I really got mad tonight, but it's an excellent lesson. I just understood that if I have no defense, I can't expect to have an efficient attack :p

Congrats to everyone for improving tournament after tournament. When will the online kick off crew take over the real world of kick off ?
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:18 am

So tonight, we decided to make a quick little tourney before sleeping.

And the winner is...

... my Joystick !

I think I'll manage to play with it again, but for now, I'm more or less retired for 10-15 days until i receive the new ones, already ordered on internet.

This USB Pro from speedlink is made of very poor quality, it needed its first fix after one week. When I opened it for the first time, I was scared to see it was assembled with glue !! (not kidding) and the screws on microswitches didn't have real use, as they were planted on a 3 millimeters plastic thing.

Anyways, after fixing it 15 times in one year, I was still happy with this joystick, even when strange cracks on the plastic body appeared... until tonight :) I wouldn't have thought it would break here, but I knew that lobbing is much worse than a crash test.

R.I.P my beloved 10 euros joystick :cryo:
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:47 am

Rayge, in an effort to try and get more Kick Off players I posted on this forum:

http://z11.invisionfree.com/RetroLeague ... wtopic=418

It appears it's got some people interested! Unsure if you want to register and try to entice them to the chatroom!
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:42 am

Thank you Steve :D

New tournament, I played round 1 and 3 with keyboard ( I loved it ! ) and round 2 with a joypad ( painful ). Hopefully, I'll have a good joystick very soon !

I can't believe I managed to score 9 goals with that stuff :no1:

Thank you for playing !
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:23 am

It was great to play a tournament again after a little break. Rayge has been missing his joystick, and we have been busy watching the EC :lol:

Overall, the scores of my games were quite misleading. With keyboard, Rayge could not so easily do some common moves that would usually have led to goals, and Logos had a lot of chances and finishes that would simply have been goals on any other day.

There was a funny incident in my second game with Rayge. I shot passes back and forth several times over Rayge's PB and finally managed to trap the ball in a good spot and shoot it past the keeper... only to see Rayge wait on the goal line, intercept the ball, and run to the other end of the field and score like it's the simplest thing in the world :lol:

Thanks a lot for playing, I hope the next tournament will be soon!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:32 am

Well done, Dnielsen :no1: Good to see you guys keeping up the good work online! :)

dnielsen wrote:There was a funny incident in my second game with Rayge. I shot passes back and forth several times over Rayge's PB and finally managed to trap the ball in a good spot and shoot it past the keeper... only to see Rayge wait on the goal line, intercept the ball, and run to the other end of the field and score like it's the simplest thing in the world :lol:

Hehe I love the way the great game offers such great moments too. The depth of gameplay allows for intricate goals as well as the route-1 efforts too - what a game ! 8)

dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Thanks a lot, Garry :). We're three new people who came to KOA at the same time (Logos, Mugen, and me), and then Rayge who has been here for a little while. We've had a lot of fun, not only playing these small tournaments, but also many casual sessions. And sometimes it feels like the big mystery is: Where is the chat-channel that the rest of KOA is using? :lol: I really hope that some of you guys who have previously not been allergic to online play will be tempted to try it again.

gdh82 wrote:Hehe I love the way the great game offers such great moments too. The depth of gameplay allows for intricate goals as well as the route-1 efforts too - what a game ! 8)

There is nothing better than failing your intricate attacks 5 times in a row, and then decide to throw a wild lob in despair, only to see it fly nicely into the goal as if guided by angels :lol: :lol: :lol: