Talk about on-line Kick Off

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

online kick off news

Postby Rayge » Wed May 07, 2008 2:50 pm

Hello,

As some of you know already, I camp in the kick off irc chat all the time. My role there is to help people to set up their games, to play, make friends, have fun :P

I just make this little thread to remind or inform you that IT IS POSSIBLE to play kick off 2 on internet. The games are excellent, if your computer has the good config and if your connection isn't too bad, you can play games as if you were playing on a real amiga with a mate. No slowdowns, no loss of speed or accuracy, if your config is good.

If you are interested by giving it a try, just join the little community in the IRC chat, following the link at the top of the forum (or in my signature).

When you are in the channel, stay tuned and talk ! People won't always speak to you immediatly. Some are just logged in this chat but don't watch it all day long waiting for you, or maybe they're in a kick off game ;)

As I've said above, I am in this channel all the time. There are also a few regulars who are always happy to help.

If you type my name: rayge , you will get an automatic answer telling you if I am around or not. Typing rayge plays a sound on my computer, so I know I have to bring up the chat window to welcome our visitor. If I am not at home, and if noone speaks to you, you will get a message telling you when I am back home.

Here is a little video to show you how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7TuqYfMyaA

After first contact is made, it will be easy to handle for you, and if you like it, you can become a regular online player.

More details in next post (sorry for double posting, but it makes it clearer)
Last edited by Rayge on Fri May 23, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re: online kick off news

Postby Rayge » Wed May 07, 2008 2:52 pm

In this post, I will give a few additional details about all the good things about playing kick off online and logging in the IRC channel.

What is IRC ?

IRC is a simple chat program that is used a lot by gaming communities. On first sight, it's not beautiful, but it is extremely efficient. Not only it allows people to chat in rooms, but it also gives a support to programming. The programming part sounds very important to me, as it can help us making our projects reality (see below).

In an IRC room, you will find bots (robots) that automatically control the chat and provide information, and players. They are listed in the right column, letting you know if the place is crowded or not.

Why is online kick off an important aspect of the kick off gaming world ?

This question can sound weird, but I will let my personal feelings talk.
I have the feeling the Kick Off communities (not only the KOA) are dying slowly. More and more quitters, no newcomers. The people I recently met are old school addicts, who had waited 14 years to play again. Most of you know the feeling. Less people attend real tournaments, and this state is slowly killing all this organisation as well, and people motivation to get involved in our communities.

Online games ARE an essential way to promote old school kick off. We can't let people play against the computer all the time and getting bored of the game. We have to provide a human vs. human challenge, and we have everything we need to do it. We also have to offer something fun to anyone who want to try out this game. Keeping people interest in this game is a must for a middle-long term hope to keep kick off alive.

More concretely, i invite you to check out sensible soccer website. http://www.sensiblesoccer.de . This is an awesome website, a big community, they have permanent online tournaments, best goals contests, etc... They even have kids who had never heard of SWOS 2 years ago who come and play. How does it work ? with a great motivation of theirstaff, support from their players, and the fun provided by the game itself.

Online Kick Off is a needed touch of dynamism that our game lacks for now.

What will you find in the Kick Off IRC chatroom ?

Everything you need to play... online, offline, any information, friends, challengers, tips. We can also provide clients to play other amiga games online. You come, and we take care of you, if we have the time :)
We will also make sure you manage to play online, explaining you everything step by step, taking the needed time to do it until it works PERFECTLY. I have been in this place for more than one year now, I have helped over 25 people to set up their computer configuration, modems, routers. It has worked in all cases, except those who had a poor connection or local server restrictions that couldn't allow the game to run properly. The aim is: no lag, no delay, instant controller response and big fun !

You think you're too bad at Kick Off ? or maybe too good ?

Even if the online community is not big (around 6 regular players for now), we all need some training and will enjoy being your sparring partners. We don't really mind the scores, we just like playing, want a challenge and to help people to train as well.

How does kick off online work ?

It links the players computers together to make one virtual machine that will display the exact same thing on both ends. The players see the exact same things at the same moment on their screens, in real time.

To do that, we use a client with the latest version of Kick Off (cheers to SteveC). It's a little program to download and install.

There are two ways: either it goes through a server (server play), either both computers are directly connected to each others (peer to peer). Both work very well, but the peer to peer way is bit more accurate in some cases. There are tutorials on this forum to set up the server client. About peer to peer, we will ask you to come to the chatroom, as it is a bit technical to make it work properly (firewall / router specific configuration needed).

FUTURE PROJECTS

Depending on the success of online kick off, the following projects can be made. I have all the needed tools to achieve them, but for now, the online community population is not big enough to make them a must. If we can reach an amount of 12-20 regular players, then we can seriously think about making these projects real:

- online kick off league: The same way it exists on sensible soccer online. There are no fixtures. Two players meet, decide to play a ranked game, then submit the final score. Their rating will change instantly, and their rank will be updated. I'm thinking about hosting the league table on the KOA forum.
Then we let the league last for a predefined period, when the period is over, we send flowers to the champion, offer a joystick to the worst player, and reset the ratings before starting the next season.

- Tournaments: These can be held anytime, and don't really need any specific tool. Still, we need enough players to make them fun.

- video library: Very easy to do, we ll just have to ask players to capture their goals and submit them. Online and Offline goals will be good :) I love watching goals, except when it's my opponent who scores them.

-your suggestions: Any idea is welcome, and it will be a pleasure if you want to share it with us :) If we like it and can be made, we'll do our best :)

Final notes

I know this message looks like a big advert, but I have faith in all this work. We have everything we need to be online-happy, but we need more players in the kick off channel. Don't feel forced to join, but if you want to try it and test the fun, you are welcome. All that our community needs is more players and support. Until last Monday, I had lost my motivation to play the game, then two newcomers came and reminded me how cool it is to play this game. The best thing to do is to use this new motivation to advertise online games a little :D

Thank you for reading ! If you have any question, or idea, or comment, let's talk about it in the kick off channel, or just post here :)

Happy gaming.
Last edited by Rayge on Wed May 07, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:25 pm

Fantastic walkthrough Rayge!! Kick Off online rocks and given and is a great alternative if you'r unable to get to tournies...and if you do get to tournies its great to play so you can beat the players who normally beat you. :lol:
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Logos

Postby Logos » Thu May 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Hello all,

Rayge has made our dreams come true!

Online kickoff 2 is fantastic! I started playing this week and it's as if I've travelled back in time to 1992. So far I have found no lag in playing online, it is perfect. Nothing compares to playing other people.

Please come and join us so that Rayge can implement his Future Projects.

Also, Rayge is very patient and will walk you through the setup, which is very simple once you know how.

Thank you very much Rayge for making this happen!
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Rayge is the geezer thats for sure! Where are you from Logo?
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Logos

Postby Logos » Thu May 08, 2008 6:39 pm

hi Steve I'm from UK
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Thu May 08, 2008 7:12 pm

Erm sorry to ask a silly question.

Is 'this' online kickoff different than the kailerra version?

I just cant work out if Rayge has 'invented' a new version or is just good at setting the current version so it works well (both of which are great news of course!)

MArk
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Thu May 08, 2008 7:17 pm

Rayge has answered online, anyone fancy a game in a few hours?
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:24 pm

Logos wrote:Online kickoff 2 is fantastic! I started playing this week and it's as if I've travelled back in time to 1992. So far I have found no lag in playing online, it is perfect. Nothing compares to playing other people.

Hi Logos,

Welcome to the forum :)

Hope to see you at an online as well as offline tourney soon! 8)

Cheers
Garry
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Thu May 08, 2008 9:49 pm

Great news, durban, steve1977 and gdh82 have visited us tonight. It seems like they enjoyed the experience :)

Keep coming :)

durban wrote:Erm sorry to ask a silly question.

Is 'this' online kickoff different than the kailerra version?

I just cant work out if Rayge has 'invented' a new version or is just good at setting the current version so it works well (both of which are great news of course!)

MArk

I did nothing ! I just use other people work. It's no new version, but with the server and peer to peer improvement, it has reached an awesome result.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu May 08, 2008 11:58 pm

Damn. I've gotta get myself a pc that works with Kaillera... :evil:
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:10 am

Rayge wrote:Great news, durban, steve1977 and gdh82 have visited us tonight. It seems like they enjoyed the experience :)

Only had a spare 30 mins last night but had a great time - my best online ko2 experience yet! 8) I encourage others to give it another try too, or at least drop in the IRC Chatroom. There's a link to it at the top of every forum page...

Thanks for your time and patience, Rayge, in getting my settings right which was much appreciated. :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Fri May 09, 2008 1:01 pm

Freshmaker wrote:Damn. I've gotta get myself a pc that works with Kaillera... :evil:

What is wrong with yours ? too old ?
Drop by the chatroom, we'll see if we can do anything for it - just in case you still have some hope about it ^^ -

gdh82 wrote:
Rayge wrote:Great news, durban, steve1977 and gdh82 have visited us tonight. It seems like they enjoyed the experience :)

Only had a spare 30 mins last night but had a great time - my best online ko2 experience yet! 8) I encourage others to give it another try too, or at least drop in the IRC Chatroom. There's a link to it at the top of every forum page...

Thanks for your time and patience, Rayge, in getting my settings right which was much appreciated. :)

And thank you for showing me the lamest corner routine ever ;)