KO2 PC project

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Abyss

Postby Abyss » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:25 pm

I think that what Steve is saying is that you are welcome to draw new sprites if you want to. He is just using the well known KO2 sprites and original graphics because that's what is available.

I guess that in the KO2PC context he can easily antialise them, magnify them or add any post-effects.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:07 pm

Abyss wrote:I think that what Steve is saying is that you are welcome to draw new sprites if you want to. He is just using the well known KO2 sprites and original graphics because that's what is available.

I guess that in the KO2PC context he can easily antialise them, magnify them or add any post-effects.

100% what the champ said!!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
filippodb
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Location: Supposed to be in Rome (but usually in Venice - Italy)

Postby filippodb » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:05 pm

great! :D

I'm Looking for a great improvement on graphics like it happen on SF2 on XBox!

TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:35 pm

filippodb wrote:great! :D

:shock: :shock:
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:16 pm

filippodb wrote:great! :D

:roll: :roll:
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:43 pm

Stainy i can't count how many times you used this face maybe soon there is an overflow error.
Loul
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re: KO2 PC project

Postby Loul » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:26 pm

Steve Camber wrote:Just testing the water here..

I believe we have the technology to run KO2 on a PC and enhance it WAY beyond what can be achieved within the limitations of the amiga.

My vision is to use WinUAE in the background to emulate KO2 (from the point where the players come on to the pitch to the point where they leave). With that running invisibly in the background, our application (which builds upon the winuae source) would set up the game, feed in the input and display the players etc using data extracted from the internal emulation. Gameplay would be identical.

Anyone with a bit of programming knowledge can add to the project, and therefore development would be much faster than we have seen with KO2.

I would not imagine this to ever become a replacement for KO2 on Amiga, but instead be a cool thing for us as a community to develop for fun inbetween tournaments.

Your thoughts please..

My apologies for giving them that late...

I might ask a stupid question (it is actually very probable and I don't know much about the open kick off project), but...
why leave winuae deal with the mechanics of the game ?
is it technically possible to have the "engine" of the game dealt by the PC along the same algorithms ?
I don't think the source code has been made available (nor that it still exist as is and that its right would be abandonned) but can some sort of doable reverse engineering make winuae usage totally useless ?

That would make change easier to do and maybe win some more precious milliseconds for online play (and for dynamic audience watching).
Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges. (T. Pratchett)
filippodb
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Location: Supposed to be in Rome (but usually in Venice - Italy)

Postby filippodb » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:55 am

any chance to have this running in rome on a projector wide about 5 meters and tall 4 meters.? Image

is it technically possible to have the "engine" of the game dealt by the PC along the same algorithms ?

no, to have the same exact engine u need to emulate it, otherwise a good clone for pc is already in development
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:19 am

I have decided to bump this topic. Steve might not approve because he's fearing more work ahead of him. But we talked about the KO2PC version in Athens, I had somehow totally missed this thread last year and I'm very impressed, this has great potential. Steve has created a proof of concept version and it's already quite useful - you cannot really play in the new window yet but it can serve as a huge radar and will help me improve my knowledge of tactics even as it is now. I hope after the CV is more or less finished (which it is by now, even though more requests were made at the WC) we can get back to the the KO2 PC project one day.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Vag

Postby Vag » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:01 pm

If you want to see the potential, Michael from Sydney did it already, with F-Zero for the SNES!
You can read everything about it at his blog here: http://fzerovs.blogspot.com.
The greeks of the forum can also read my post in Retrogamer blog here: http://www.retrogamer.gr/?p=120.
There are already two videos on YouTube, here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFbEFNdO0HU
Michael wrote a server program that runs on one PC, he modified the emulator and it patches the rom dynamically.
So he combined programming with emulation and rom hacking. This is exactly what KO2 PC project will be.
Click here and here.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Bump!
--
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Patgom145

Postby Patgom145 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:59 am

Hi,

I am back on this forum after a "few" years of KO inactivity.
I am very surprised to see that this forum is still alive and that a lot of very interresting projets have been developping (Throw In, KO2CV and this KO2PC)

I am very interrested by this KO2PC project and I really want to help it if possible and if required.

I am not a programmer but I have a very good knowledge of football and all competitions. I have a huge database of real events (national & international) that I could easily implant on this new PC interface.

As for me, here are the most important points that must have this KO2PC :

1) same game play as the debugged KO2
2) online games and competitions (possibility to play in position until 11 human vs. 11 human, hummm)
3) richer list of competitions (national & international) and more realistic approach (real player names, real team strengh,...)
4) foundations for a development of Player Manager 2

I don't know really if this development is still alive but I am available to help.

Please Steve, let us now how you see the next steps of your KO2PC and what you expect of our helps.

pg
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Welcome back!

We need a project manager, to organise people and get the project in motion.
--