KO2 PC project

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Patgom145

Re: KO2 PC project

Postby Patgom145 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi Steve,

My real job is road project manager for the french state government so I can take the role of KO2PC manager if nobody else is interested.

Here are the preliminary points I would like to check first :

1) What is the complete is of every people interested by this project ? What skills can they provide (graphics, music, statistics and database, developping, networks,...) ? What are their avaibilities and their estimated spare times ?

2) What are the main objectives of this project ? How can we priorize them and what are the realistics deadlines ?

3) I really want to be the project manager of a very lively project that goes on continously with an alpha version quickly available which could be very simple put playable.

As for me I can work at developping a virtual event generator and at collecting real events database (international and national).

I think we must start with something simple : a new interface which allows to play a friendly match if possible online and with some exhaustive statistics at the end of the match. Then we could complicates the interface with virtual cups or league with the online possibility. Then we could add real events with real player names (starting with the WC2010 and several domestic leagues).
Then we should be near to a Player Manager 2.
Then we could work at more "exotic" developments like the possibility to play X player against Y player online, X, Y between 1 to 11.

Maybe Steve can sums up here what he has already done, the problems he met, what helps he would need immediately.

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life. Let's go.

pg
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:30 am

At last, a volunteer!

With the current proof of concept, we can play emulated KO2 in one window, with a separate PC window showing a more detailed view. With more development I can turn this into launching a single game configured exactly how we want, showing only the detailed view.
We can choose exactly how to 'wrap' this ability... This is where the main effort is needed! No amiga knowledge is required, I can handle the low level stuff and any communication between KO2 and the wrapper. That's where my skills are best placed.

Scan back through this thread to see who has volunteered their skills. Of course, Maybe situations have changed, and new people have arrived since then. For instance, GingerPete was looking promising as a programmer, but he's been quiet on here recently.

Most valuable right now is someone who can write c++, use DirectX and put together a front end for the game.
A networking solution is another area to be filled, along with any server setup.
A designer is required to ensure what we make is well thought out.

Deadlines - This is something I prefer to keep only in the workplace!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Come back from my hols to some very interesting developments I see! Excellent offer from PG! 8) Although I can't offer any technical expertise I'd gladly support with playtesting/bug hunting/feedback/suggestions (along with many others no doubt!).

I imagine there'll be some keen eyes on this thread so good luck with moving this project forward! :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Logos

Postby Logos » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:42 pm

As mentioned in a previous post, I can offer help in 2D or 3D design, i.e. 3D Studio Max, Photoshop, etc..
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:28 pm

I am volunteering Garry as tester. Well done Garry!
--
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Patgom145

Postby Patgom145 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:52 pm

Here is our first Team for this KO2PC.

Please tell me if something is wrong or incomplete or if you are not interrested at all.

If GingerPete has definately vanished, we clearly missed a programmer and that would be a big problem. I have put today several posts on developpers forum to look for that kind of developpers but with no results until now.

I will also need every email to build a mailing list which is easier to communicate together.

KO2PC Team (10/08/2009) :

Steve Camber : Technical team leader, KO2 internals developper

Patgom145 : Team project manager, events generator and real events database

GingerPete : c/c++ programming, game artwork in photoshop, sql database

Freshmaker : sound & musical manager

Sid : graphics

Logos : 2D or 3D design

l00k : webspace and stuff for testing networking

Beta testers :
JamesHBeard (Jim)
Robert Swift
SimonB
gdh82 (Garry)
Torchiador
Freshy
Spyros
jesper
Semtex
Abyss
Bounty Bob
Stainy
Steve1977
JZ
Calimero
alkis21
Ely
Vag
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:23 pm

Plenty of Beta testers, but few programmers.

Who has the skills? Spyros? BountyBob? Durban? Surely plenty more?!!
--

Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Steve Camber wrote:Plenty of Beta testers, but few programmers.

Who has the skills? Spyros? BountyBob? Durban? Surely plenty more?!!

I certainly have the skills but all my time is taken up at the moment with my own projects. As much as I'd like to, I can't put any time into this, otherwise I'd have had it sorted long ago.
baccardi
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby baccardi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:06 pm

hello, i'd like to join your project too. I could help with c programming, i don't have much real practice, but i have done some network programming in windows, no previous game development experience, but if i could be helpful with any programming task just let me know because i'm looking for any jobs to gain some real programming experience.
Patgom145

Postby Patgom145 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi Baccardi,

Pleased to see you again.
I think the first job you can start with could be to create a very simple interface (no graphics extravagances) similar to the original KO2PC. This inferface will deeply change afterwards and all our team have to discuss about what must be found on this interface but I think it is a good start for you.

The original KO2 interface was built with 9 buttons which was :
Practice, Single Game, The League, The Cup, Internatiobal Friendly, Action Replay, Kit Design, Options, Special Events

Steve, can you send us the pre-alpha version of what you have already done and short explanations to launch and use it.

good evening,

pg
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:24 pm

baccardi wrote:hello, i'd like to join your project too.

Hi baccardi. Welcome to the forum! :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
baccardi
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby baccardi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:17 am

patgom, have i understood well? you mean i have to create a win32 program with no connections with emulator yet?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:13 am

baccardi wrote:patgom, have i understood well? you mean i have to create a win32 program with no connections with emulator yet?

Yes, go right ahead!

It's easy enough to link program components later on.
--