which joystick do you use ? RESULTS SO FAR

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:55 pm

Abyss wrote:You are excused young man.

I read that first as:

You are 'executed' young man!!

:lol:

I used to use Comp Pro, then Sun-Tac2 til it malfunctioned, and now the Zipstick.

I can't hold the CMS Greek Stick, its too bulky, and I certainly cannot play on the table!! ...its so odd and unnatural for me.
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:59 pm

Sid wrote:
You are 'executed' young man!!
:lol:

:lol: Felt a bit like that to me too - didn't know whether to post or hide ! :yikes:
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Loul
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Loul » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:49 am

For the record, I'm pasting my posts on the subject made on another part of the forum some weeks ago :

Btw one of my expectations in attending a KOA event is to be able to check what joysticks you lot use and how they do feel.

As for my experience I used to play on a very specific Joystick that I have been unable to find those last months (I'm hoping I could adapt to some other joystick, in the mean time I play with a Xbox 360 joypad under WINUAE and it isn't exactly the same thing).

So what is that joystick I'm hunting for ?

Here it is !
The XE-1 SG
XE-1 is the generic model and SG is for Sega Genesis (and as most of you know the Megadrive pad/sticks are compatible with the amiga and they even provide that sought after second button for games like Flashback).

It's an arcade like stick that can stick to a table thanks to suction pads.
It has microswitches that you can hear click but they are relatively soft in use (only they tend to wear with time).
It was the perfect stick for long and perfectly dosed not so long lobs :(

As for looking for a substitute joystick, I would of course look at first for the same kind of stick. I've noticed the popularity of the "greekstick" but I'm afraid the buttons are to be pressed with the fingers of the left hand (meaning you have to hold it with your right hand), which is not my habit.

If by any chance any of you knows where I could find a couple of those XE-1 SG, let me know !

More pieces of information about that joystick :

The company that produced it is
MICOMSOFT / Dempa Shimbunsha

Moby Games wrote:Dempa Micomsoft was the software division of publishing company Dempa Shimbunsha. In 1993, it was broken off as a separate company, though fully owned by Dempa.

Apart from programming games, with Dempa earning a high reputation for its arcade conversions, it also made joysticks and other hardware. The company now remains as Micomsoft Co., Ltd., with TV scan converters as its main business.

Official homepage

If anyone speaks Japanese in the audience ? :oops:

They seem to have produce other versions of the stick for other computers/consoles (MSX, FM Towns and PC Engine).

Hereafter some pictures of alternate versions of that joystick:

Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges. (T. Pratchett)
karios

Postby karios » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:45 am

Tomahawk at first, PacMan I and II afterwards. I am now stuck with CMS since I cannot find the first ones I mentioned anywhere.
l00k
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby l00k » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:29 pm

Back in the day (atari ST times)I used zipsticks then zipstick II with the crappy autofire button ripped out after I ripped my hand on it.

I thought I had a zipstick in the garage with my broked amiga which has vanished

So I just ordered a usb comp pro

Do they have microswitches?
Kick Off 2 Sensi 0

@lukedearden
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Re: which joystick do you use ?

Postby Sid » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:12 am

Bounty Bob wrote:
gdh82 wrote:I know a bad workman always blames his tools but these comments got me thinking. I wondered if there's a any correlation between joystick and KOA rank? Are certain joysticks avoided by the top players and others preferred?
Joystick will play a part but game knowledge and basic skill will always be overriding factors.

I used to use Zipstiks but changed to the CMS joystick a while back and haven't looked back.

WHY is the CMS stick better than a Zipstick or a Comp Pro?

does it have clicky microswitches?
is the same sort of construction when opened up?

I have used a CMS stick when borrowed off Mark for a game, but I just couldn't hold it due to its size, and as Mark said, my awkward holding method!! (which is abit diagonally almost?)

Just curious.

It's good for table users especially...

I have come across Zipsticks that are are very quiet and you can't hear the microswitches... it just doesn't feel right!

I don't know why!? I used to have a comp-pro when I was a kid and it was very loose and flexible, nt clicky at all, very quiet, and it was the best joystick I ever had!!!!!!!!!
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
Calimero
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Calimero » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:08 pm

Suzo Arcade (using it on my PC with a USB adaptor to play Throw In 8))
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:19 am

Calimero wrote:Suzo Arcade (using it on my PC with a USB adaptor to play Throw In 8))

Nice...

You played 0,71 with keyboard, right?

Is it this one btw?
http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... osi_widget
Calimero
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Calimero » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:00 pm

For the ones that didn't know, I am here in the list:
87 Pascal V

@Danne: yes, that's the one! I am playing TI with the joystick lately and I like it :) It also is a little practice for the KO2 tournament in May.

r.cross

Re: which joystick do you use ? RESULTS SO FAR

Postby r.cross » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:54 pm

I seem to have a strong tendency in changing joysticks. I used a Comp Pro in 2007, changed to the plastic CMS sticks after Thorsten recommended them to me in 2008. I kept using them until Birmingham 2011 but had some experiments with self built sticks in between. I also tried the Suncom sticks (TAC2 and SlikStik), they're very fast but it doesn't help if like in my case you're not able to hit any diagonal shots. I recently got the Suzo Arcarde after Andy recommendet it last November. Rather ugly looking sticks if you ask me, but they're fast, precise and very well suited for turning moves.
mmike
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Location: building near marakana - stadium of red star, belgrade, serbia

Postby mmike » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:22 am

comp pro is crap for me, but since my amiga died just three days after rebirth, i had no choice but to use comp pro usb (hard to get proper atari to usb adapter here in sebia, no paypal, lot of stores don't want to send anything here), and my old topstar is not what he used to be.

i used to play on quickoy II turbo, and on quickjoy topstar. those 'sticks are best for me.

it seems that i've finaly found proper cable and a pair of topstars :)
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 am

Seems there are many sticks one should try, now that CMS stopped producing... :)
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:42 pm

I've been thinking the same thing too, Mike. My CMS has kindly been repaired by Evil a few times but not sure how much life is left it, and as Jorn says us greek stick fans need to consider other options.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!