Gameplay Discussion - (Beta 0.8)

This forum is dedicated to the new football game Active Soccer (and Throw In) by TheFoxSoft.

Moderators: TheFoxSoft, Moderators, TheFoxSoft, Moderators

rapTor_sonofsuns

Postby rapTor_sonofsuns » Thu May 10, 2007 3:52 pm

well, watch this :

http://robot.cmpe.boun.edu.tr/~caydogdu/booo.rar

see what my defenders are doing, i am chasing right after the player and watching what will they do :)

player team full of idiots vs cpu team full of marvel super heroes :lol:

btw , i found raptorheads advertisement , i saw it in the right side a little down of the center line , spooky :D
i learned playing kick off , before learning how to read and how to write.. birthdate : 19.07.1984
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Fri May 11, 2007 1:22 pm

rapTor_sonofsuns wrote:well, watch this :

http://robot.cmpe.boun.edu.tr/~caydogdu/booo.rar

see what my defenders are doing, i am chasing right after the player and watching what will they do :)

player team full of idiots vs cpu team full of marvel super heroes :lol:

btw , i found raptorheads advertisement , i saw it in the right side a little down of the center line , spooky :D

Yea, I understand what you mean. Yes, it can be a little bit frustrating but it will be fixed for later versions.

good report.. :)
JZ

Postby JZ » Sun May 13, 2007 2:43 pm

Only played a couple of matches so far, the only thing to add to what other people have mentioned, is that the keepers seem a bit too easy to beat on occasions- quite often if you hit a shot relatively powerfully, the keeper doesn't move, and the ball goes straight through him.

All in all though, looking really good. Each beta seems to have been an improvement so far 8)
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Sun May 13, 2007 7:44 pm

JZ wrote:the keeper doesn't move, and the ball goes straight through him.

Do you have a replay of this?
JZ

Postby JZ » Sun May 27, 2007 11:50 am

I played a couple of Champions League games yeterday trying to get a replay, but it didn't happen. Then I got an access violation and it crashed so I gave up.

(I must say I like the difficulty level:- I lost 3-0 to Barcelona as Chelsea, and good players like Messi & Ronaldinho really stood out. Managed to beat Werder Bremen and Levski more easily, but still struggled to get more than 30% possession although did have more shots in both games-think this is partly to do with the scanner not showing the colours of the teams playing, as you can't instinctively look at the scanner and see where your players are, you have to make a mental adjustment first and remember if you are red or yellow)

To be honest, I think theres more opportunity for the GK thing to happen in 2 player matches, maybe because you get more time to shoot around the box than the AI allows.

When I next play 2 player I'll try and get a replay, it happened at least 3 times when I first played.
Calimero
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Calimero » Sun May 27, 2007 9:18 pm

JZ, what do you mean by "get a replay" ?
Did you mean that you can't save them during a match?

For me this works: press F12 during a replay in a match or in the highlights at fulltime and it shows a screen where you can enter the filename and press OK. Then it's saved to your harddisk and you can watch it again with the replay viewer.

It only happened to me once that the game crashed when I pressed F12 to save a replay. And that was when I scored an absolutely amazing goal from about 25 meters into the top corner! :x
JZ

Postby JZ » Mon May 28, 2007 8:12 pm

By get a replay, I mean I didn't save a replay the first times it happened, so I need to wait for it to happen again so I can save one :)
Björn
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Björn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:00 pm

I find it great that there is a game that almost has the same gameplay as Kick-Off 2. For me the beste game ever to play with a friend and only on a 1.44 disk! The Amiga was great!! I was very suprised that a found a website of Kick Off and found out that there are Kick off championships! I downloaded the Throw in game and start playing. I few days ago after two hours of playing Throw in, i ordered a joystick(still waiting on it) But this are my comments up till now.

PERFORMANCE
- a lot of memery acces violations
- loading a match takes a long time

GAMEPLAY
great, almost the KO feeling and that without a joystick

GRAPHICS
it is good enough

SHOOTING
it needs more power

KEEPER
think it is to easy to beat the keeper, with a joystick it will be easier

SELECTED PLAYER
It is not easy to switch to an other player. I thinks it's nice while defending a corner that you can run through the players. (see also Bounty Bob his comment)

When a free kick is taken, it takes a long time before the player arrives same with corners

STRENGHT OF PLAYERS
It is mentioned already but:
Make the players(especially defenders a litlle bit more solid(see bounty bob)

SCANNER PROBLEM
It is already mentioned. Can it be more like Kick Off 2?

These are my comments for now. When i have my joystick will give a second review.

Keep up the good work. I allready love it!

[/b]
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:06 am

Björn wrote:I find it great that there is a game that almost has the same gameplay as Kick-Off 2. For me the beste game ever to play with a friend and only on a 1.44 disk! The Amiga was great!! I was very suprised that a found a website of Kick Off and found out that there are Kick off championships!

Hi Björn,

Welcome to the forum! :) Sounds like you'll be very much at home around here! 8) :D Seeya around...

Cheers
Garry aka gdh82
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:41 am

Björn wrote:I find it great that there is a game that almost has the same gameplay as Kick-Off 2. For me the beste game ever to play with a friend and only on a 1.44 disk! The Amiga was great!! I was very suprised that a found a website of Kick Off and found out that there are Kick off championships! I downloaded the Throw in game and start playing. I few days ago after two hours of playing Throw in, i ordered a joystick(still waiting on it) But this are my comments up till now.

Bjorn,
thanks for your comments and welcome to the board.
Your accurate report is really precious. I was planning to release a bug free beta. Unfortunately due lack of interest (you know if a ko2 remake is not popular on a ko2 forum something is wrong..) my priority is now different so i'll take a while before starting again on TI project.
Stay tuned because i already developed an interesting online code and i would like to apply to Throw In one day.

cheers, Gianluca
Calimero
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Calimero » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:44 pm

Yes, I think it is a real pity that there is so little interest in the last beta version. I expected to see a giant boost in this forum, but it looks like the opposite has happened.

I'm still playing the game, but not as much as I would like to.
I don't have much time at the moment, because my new job has become very busy (orking evenings and weekends) and I'm also building a new house. But when I play, I often have crashes so I can't finish matches.

The CL mode is great, with the group stages and the topscorers list :)
Gameplay has improved a lot, but the CPU is a bit too good at dribbling and controlling the ball.

I hope to see a version with the most important crash bugs fixed this year.
But I understand you will be busy with the KO2 World Cup, Gianluca.
snader
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby snader » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:12 am

Same here people... no time sadly... the beta looked good though!
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 am

Due to the fact that I have to constantly change my regional settings and reboot my computer (due to the Unicode problem) to play the latest beta, I haven't been playing it after the first days. Rebooting is always a pain in the a**.

I didn't have the crashes many people reported (I run WinXP Pro SP2/Ati 9600XT/AMD Opteron 1.4), but the game and match loading was indeed slow. Not a show-stopper though.

Gameplay-wise, I played the game (actually, some friendlies and a Champions league round with Olympiakos and Olympiakos got disqualified again from the first round :) ) without a joystick, so my input can't be very accurate. It felt like playing KO2 with the keyboard - not very enjoyable. I liked the menu design - it's clear and as retro as it should. The automatic detection of a saved competition and the extra option in the main menu is very nice.

It the game, I felt the AI was cheating, but I liked the game mechanics / ball collisions / bounces. I wish that my players felt a bit more "solid" in some instances and that shooting power was stronger, but these are just minor glitches. The keepers were very stupid (en par with KO2 keepers). I also think that the difference between good and bad teams is too exaggerated - playing with Olympiakos, all my players were noticeably slower than the opponents.