Kick Off Association talk + website Updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

KOA Disruption March 20th 2011

Postby durban » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Dear all,

Apologies for the outage of the website today.

Unfortunately the Server was attacked last night and as a precaution the Admins took everything down until the breach could be pinpointed (an errant script on another users site).

All recovery action was performed at approx 9am this morning and in total took around 9 hours to complete (although there are still some issues on other hosted sites, none of mine hopefully!)

The KOA was back up and running at approx 16:00 and I do not believe there are any ongoing issues (although you may still see some timeouts or PHP/Mysql server errors due to the load the server is under performing recovery for other sites).

Thanks for your understanding and patience in this matter, it was completely out of our hands and unexpected. In particular apologies to the Birmingham boys who I appreciate went to a lot of effort to Launch the WC2011 details today!

Obviously you will all receive a full refund of this months user fees....oh hold on ;)

Regards,

Mark
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Freshmaker

Re: KOA Disruption March 20th 2011

Postby Freshmaker » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks Mark. As always, great work. :D

Should I give you paypal-info through PM, for the refund?
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Durbs does this mean things like my sites were suffering the same issues and why I couldn't get email (or Jacqui hers for that matter)?
NewEly - He is here sometimes...................
http://www.wayoftherodent.com
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Yes mate, and unfortunately the remedial action was performed in Alphabetical order...so Alkis was pretty lucky however people like you who think its a good idea having a site beginning with Z may not have seen it back until about 18:00 I am afraid!

Should be ok now, from an Email perspective as well :)

My email is still down tho, but thats only because I have a high level domain on the server :)
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Robert

Postby Robert » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Good work my lord.
Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:49 pm

durban wrote:Yes mate, and unfortunately the remedial action was performed in Alphabetical order...so Alkis was pretty lucky however people like you who think its a good idea having a site beginning with Z may not have seen it back until about 18:00 I am afraid!

Should be ok now, from an Email perspective as well :)

My email is still down tho, but thats only because I have a high level domain on the server :)

No problems at all mate, when ever is fine, you do a sterling job with all this. One thing though, if I try to access my email via the Web I get;

Internal Server Error 500
User 'ely' is over quota

Any ideas?

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:10 pm

Yeah mate you ran out of bandwidth a few days ago.

Will sort it in 20 mins :)

Mark
Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:05 am

Ran out of bandwidth!! Blimey I didn't think I ever got close to my limit. Let me know if it's a common problem and I can give you some dosh or something.

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:12 am

Heroic work of Gordon Banks proportions, keeping out unwanted intruders. Cheers Durban for yesterday and always! 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Menace
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby Menace » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:31 am

Good job!

I've had to take down the WOF forum due to attacks also - and my severely limited skills doesn't allow me to fix it I'm afraid.. Hate those bastards.
Dennis Hansen - http://protomenace.wordpress.com
Creative Director - http://www.bigbitegames.com

'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea' Eric Cantona
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:29 am

WOF isn't on my server is it mate? Not one I know of anyway, but if it is then give me a shout and I should have backups to restore to etc :)

Ely, I noticed your account getting hit for Bwidth a few days ago, nothing major (as you only have a small amount allocated) and wasn't an issue to increase either. No money is required or expected :)
Menace
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby Menace » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:02 am

durban wrote:WOF isn't on my server is it mate? Not one I know of anyway, but if it is then give me a shout and I should have backups to restore to etc :)

No no - no worries! =)
Dennis Hansen - http://protomenace.wordpress.com
Creative Director - http://www.bigbitegames.com

'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea' Eric Cantona
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Oh and just a pre-warning.

The KOA and other sites on the host will be down for approx 90 minutes tonight from midnight until approx 1.30am.

This is for a Kernel package to be applied to the server which should hopefully prevent the sort of attack seen yesterday.

Once again, just for info, I can confirm that the Sites I have on my part of the server were unnaffected, and that the attack was simply to 'brand' or 'tag' a few pages on other sites. No confidental information was at risk (not that we have any of that anyway).

Cheers,

Mark