20th Kick Off 2 World Cup | The Feedback

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

alkis21

20th Kick Off 2 World Cup | The Feedback

Postby alkis21 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:48 pm

A detailed report of the players' feedback has been posted on the Athens World Cup website. Please take a look before reading further.

I'm grateful for your participation (all but three players completed the evaluation!) and for your overwhelmingly positive responses. As you can see, almost every single aspect of the organization was rated extremely highly and the comments were very enthusiastic in their majority. We also received a great deal of useful remarks and suggestions. I believe that this evaluation is very important, because nowadays that most people are not active on the forum we do not get any accurate impression on what participants thought of a world cup's organization, other than pats on the organizers' back which do not really help us improve.

I would like to address some of your comments to the best of my ability:

Number of games and overall format

• There could even be more games in the first day.
• I’d like to play more matches.
• I think on Sunday it would be possible to play more official games in the afternoon. It happens that in many world cups on Sunday we are just doing nothing or playing friendlies.
• On Sunday afternoon there were "dead times" there were no games.
• Silver cup as Gold Cup. Rounds after the league for Sunday because there was enough time on Sunday afternoon.
• Bronze cup final seemed quite off.
• I think it doesn't have much sense that the loser of the game of shame ends in best position than the winner and finalist of the bronze cup. Maybe the bronze final cup should be played for the players who ended in 7th place in the first day.
• There had to be the semifinals for Silver Cup and Bronze Cup.

Let me start by saying that nobody is a bigger advocate of more games than me. If it was up to me, we'd all be chained to our chairs for the weekend, connected to a tube for IV fluids and a catheter to avoid toilet breaks. But there were reasons for the way we did things in Athens, and I will try to explain them to you.

We used to play 2 legs on Saturday, and admittedly we had the time to do it this year, too. However, in previous world cups people used to nag incessantly about it, claiming back aches, tiredness, boredom etc. And that was back when the KOA was much more active and people played several local tournaments every month. So we had to cut back to a single leg Round 1. Therefore, although I would totally support an organizer's decision to switch back to 2, I sincerely doubt it is what people want.

The Bronze Cup final was not optimal, I totally agree. We were hoping to have enough people for a Bronze Cup group, it was stated in the rules that we weren't going to do it unless we had 38 players, even with 36 it could have been a possibility but not with 32. We had already bought the trophy and we thought that instead of scrapping it altogether, it would be better to let two players who finish at an arbitrary position play for it. If anything, I don't think it hurt.

Now, let me tell you that the plenitude of time on Sunday is an illusion. The past world cups speak for themselves; time has always been our enemy on the second day. In Athens, only one player left on Sunday, Ian, and even he departed quite late. Moreover, everyone followed the timeline and we didn't suffer from missing people. I like to think that the fact that we had a clearly and frequently communicated agenda contributed to that, but if I'm honest it's always about the people. Now, in previous years, we had:
-Players who did not join us on Sunday before 11:30.
-Players who did not come at all on Sunday - with or without bothering to inform us.
-Players who had to take an early flight, and left before finishing their games.
-Players who took 4-hour lunch breaks or simply disappeared for a long time.
As a result of the above, there were:
-Game of Shame played by other people than those who finished last (which is why I had it on Saturday).
-Bronze Cup finals played by other people than those who topped the BC group.
-Silver Cup finals played by other people than those who qualified.
-Severe problems with the format, software and general organization and even fights over the changes.

So, again, in KO2 World Cups time is an illusion. Just because you had enough time to play friendlies on Sunday does not guarantee that there was enough time for official games, because it just takes 1-2 people to screw up the timeline for the latter. In previous tournaments, we had too many people wait for too few to finish their games, which is why I minimized the classification matches; as a result, people played 2-4 games less than before, but it was one of the few times that the agenda was beautifully executed without delays.

Hardware issues

• Hardware issues on three of the play stations.
• Some locations not optimal Audio video defects.
• Amiga stations with TVs! I'm realistic about this point though as there is no way you can get so many Amiga monitors all in one place these days (especially if the next WC is in Malaga!). I've become a bit of a Amiga monitor snob despite growing up using a TV!
• Some TV screens were not good, too bright or too fuzzy.
• All workstations must equipped with monitors and Amiga.

I'm aware of all of these problems, and trust me, they hurt us more than they hurt you because it is our own equipment that broke down or under-performed. We did try our best to test them, but some even broke down on the day. In the end, we do the best we can with what we have available, and even made sure that we had enough backups so there was never an empty station. That's something to be expected with such old hardware. And I'm not sure anyone can guarantee a tournament room full of monitors instead of TVs.

Game of Shame

• I think the weaker part of all WC cups is the game of shame looser award perspective. It should be more honorary IMO.
• Maybe skip the Game of Shame in the future or change the format somehow.
• Game of shame should be played on Sensible Soccer.
• I worry whether anyone in the shirt of shame game actually enjoys that experience.

The Apron of Shame idea of which I was so proud ended up being the only organization feature that got a relatively low score. It seems that the GoS makes people awkward, and although it should be clear that nobody wants to offend anyone, I get that. It is also a matter of who gets the trophy; nowadays, there are rarely any actually bad players in competitions, just people with no standard goals in their quiver, so it doesn't really apply. I was at least hoping for one of Kostas Kakaletris or Antonis Trikas to wear the apron, as they both have a high sense of self sarcasm. In comparison, Manfred looks too much like a serious gentleman.

Let us put our heads together then and decide whether this should be changed entirely or scrapped altogether. I, for one, would like to see it stay as it is an institution that's been with us since day 1. I like the idea of the players competing in a different football game, maybe one even more obscure than Sensible Soccer that they will not know about before they sit down!

The Draw

• Maybe the draws could have been done on Friday to create more suspense.
• The fact that throughout the 2 days, I played with almost every Greek I've already played with a billion times.
• WC group draws should have locality restrictions, as it happens in most competitions.
• Some measure to not let too many people from the same country end up in the same group on the first day.

I certainly see the merit in having the draw on Friday. But we wouldn't have had such a rich presentation in a restaurant, and there's also the risk of people not showing up on Saturday (it happened).
Now, about country restrictions. I understand that it's a bummer when you go to a world cup and end up playing your neighbors. But I want you to do the math and consider whether there was really anything the organizers could have done about it. There were 10 Greeks for 4 groups, so the minimum limit we'd set would be 3 Greeks per group. We ended up having 4 in one group. Would it really have changed your experience that much if you had played against one less Greek, whom you'd probably need to face on Sunday anyway? If we have a World Cup with 16 people from one country, I'll be all for implementing a limit, but there really was no reason for one here.

Groups in the App

• In the application I would have liked to see the updated group rankings
• Updated group standings in the app Maybe.

Great idea, it's really up to Steve to create such a page. And speaking of Steve...

Camber's workload

• To be honest I was sad to see SteveC so busy. We definitely have to fix it.
• Find a way to keep Steve C less busy with support work.
• Dedicated livestream operator, even just a player with no other duties to worry about.
• To have a person (not necessary an external but he could be a player) caring about the broadcasting aspect.

It touches my heart that so many people care about our friend. You do understand though that for what you suggest to happen, one needs to step up and volunteer to help? So how about it?

Unbalanced groups?

• In this WC we had unbalanced groups all the way through, as, due to covid, the rankings did not correspond to the level of the players. The results of the 2nd round show this clearly. Perhaps this could be fixed in the future with a preparatory round of games that add to the rankings, before the group sections. This could render useless the friendlies session, at no time impact for the tournament.

I'm scratching my head with this comment. I am looking at the groups and see no unbalance whatsoever. In fact, this was one of the most successful seeding work we've ever had, with 15 our of the top 16 seeded players making it to the next round. Seeding groups are much harder and complex than you think. What exactly will the preparatory round tell you? Take people like Steve Camber, for instance. He finished 1st in his Day 1 Group and then was out of the quarter finals. So he was a 2nd seed who performed like a 1st seed on Saturday and like a 3rd seed on Sunday. And we have people like that every year. In the Silver Cup groups, it's even worse, because there are less goals. People can play a Silver Cup every week and end up with very different results every time.

Social media

• IMO if we want this to continue for another 10 years we must attract wider interest. Social media activation for instance not in closed groups.

Well said, I totally agree with this comment. I've been thinking that a Facebook Group is not optimal for what we need because people cannot start posts there. Perhaps we should migrate to a Facebook page instead.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Re: 20th Kick Off 2 World Cup | The Feedback

Postby Rodolfo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:26 pm

I propose we name and shame those three who did not care to answer.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO.
thor

Postby thor » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:11 pm

Rodolfo wrote:I propose we name and shame those three who did not care to answer.

1. Thor

This has now been corrected. I didn’t see the feedback request until now.
Fred/Typical
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:17 pm

Well done, champion!

iankay
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby iankay » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:56 pm

Thanks Alkis, the feedback is a great idea, and also it is brave to open yourself up to criticism. People tell you the negatives and not always the positives, and the human brain worries too much about the negatives! So first I will say this was the best organised tournament I have been to. These are just my personal opinions and I am happy to be outvoted.

Number of games: Spare time is better than something unexpected which means tournament games cannot be completed.
Sometimes we have a fun doubles tournament knockout on Saturday afternoon. People can choose to enter or not. Top and bottom ranked entrants play together against the second top and second bottom, and so on.
Hardware issues / Steve C: I don't know how hard it is to set up equipment, at home I play on a friend's old Atari STE. I think in Bournemouth the organisers hired the Swedish guy who did the broadcast in Landskrona. All I can do is offer to be an extra pair of hands for Steve plugging in extension leads etc.
Game of shame: I like the Silver and Bronze Cups. For players who will never be champions, they provide a chance to win something in the spotlight. With 32 players, we could not have a simple solution and I was happy with what happened. The game of shame has a long tradition, but it is a harsh spotlight. I hope, at least, the players have input into the game rules.
The draw: Until we have several years where nobody drops out on the Friday, I am content for this to be Saturday morning. Catching up with old friends at the Friday meal is great fun anyway without the draw. No problem if it is earlier on Saturday, that might encourage people to be there on time.
The app was great but I don't want to add to workload, I am happy with results on a big whiteboard or flipchart. If it was a choice, I would choose for example video recording rather than the app.
Social media: I'm happy just using this forum, I've hardly touched Facebook since https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook% ... ta_scandal. Always great to see publicity like the Athens and Bremen TV features, and the 11 Freunde journalist in Landskrona.
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:36 pm

I would love to play a lot of games on day 1 and a little less on day 2. But we have to fully appreciate the wonderful timing we have had this year. It has been very unusual in the past having time to do properly all the WC ceremonies that are an integral part of a World Cup. This edition we had both the time and the best content, and we should be proud and thankful for that.

To have more games on day 1 we need more players and more hardware, as simple as that. Both are the most difficult aspects to manage by the organizer, because they are almost completely out of his hands. Therefore it is better to play safe, and stay a little hungry for more, than collapse and having to alter GOS or dinner.

The day 2 format was simply perfect. Too often we have (in my opinion, stupidly) added more games just for the sake of it, i.e. : forcing Silver Cup players to go through qf and sf then undermining and making useless an already very short league competition by making pointless finishing 1st or 4th. Thanks God that is over, and let's keep it like that. This is a sport tournament, not special people games. Play until you cannot qualify higher, then watch the better players' games.

Hardware issues

We all would love to have perfect and abundant hardware, but complaining (instead of marvel) about the hardware we still have is simply delirious. Sooner or later we will have to talk about the use of emulators, some purists will get annoyed and dissappear... ok, we have seen it all before.

Game of Shame

I believe it is a good tradition, although some years it has gone too far. This year I think it was really good, actually had very good level, and it was as it should be: funny without being disrespectful. In order to keep inside these fundamental guidelines I do not think we should improvise or make them feeling like fish out of water by making them play Gazza II or whatever. Keep it simple and nice.

We all owe a huge lot to these players that come and join us knowing that they will likely finnish at the bottom of the table, and must be grateful by giving them a good reception, as we did, and a good applause.

The Draw

I also like having the draw on Friday, but only if we can do it in the game room and with all, or almost all players already there. Since that is quite difficult, it is a good solution to have it on day 1 morning.

While is understandable that no one likes to play in the WC against the same dude they have been playing all year long, I believe it is a lesser evil than implementing alterations in the draw. Although it used to be nice to shout "fiiiixed!"

Camber's workload and The App

He certainly deserves being free to come and just play at least once. I admire, respect and praise what he does for all of us. But in the end all I can do is buy him flowers, what else? I simply do not have a clue and could not substitute him for a single minute.

Maybe the solution, even if a partial one, would be in a more complete app. As beautiful as it was to give the games' results to Penny and Vicky, it would be even better not to need them, and entering the scores in the app, and then having the groups instantly updated both in the app and in the big screen. But of course, this is just an idea that I could not know how easy if possible is, and although perhaps a good solution in the future, would mean more work for free in the present. So what can I do? I think I will stick to the flowers. Or maybe some Sherry wine.

Unbalanced groups?

Bollocks.

Social media

If you insist... I am not really that excited about finding new players, would rather instead find a way to bring back some already known KOAers that sadly got lost along the way. Also keep in mind that less than 32 players in a WC is a little sad, but more than 40 it becomes a difficult challenge. Be careful what you wish for.

Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:17 pm

Like Ian I’d like point out that this idea of the feedback is simply great and another Alkis masterpiece.
The attention to the user (read the World Cup participants) it’s been in such professional way that I don’t want to be in the pants of the next World Cup organiser to be compared to!
I do think that nowadays where just 4-5 of us write on the forum, to have a direct feedback from the “World Cup users” it’s been a very smart move and something that we have to do again as default.
Maybe we could pepare a tool set of such things to help next organisers to have better World Cup experience (to who organise and who join the World Cup )every year.

As organiser of some tournaments and as a player (Player Manager?) I’m for the more the better. BUT we have to face reality. This year it’s been a special year. Where every thing under control worked very well. Other things that weren’t directly under control of the organiser went very well too.
I must state that in 17 years of World Cups I attended, this one has been the very first time that happened. Or better: in recent years things went smoothly on day one, we even anticipate game of the second stage on day one to not overload day 2 but due to the usual problems we had severe lates on day two.
This year for the first time ever we didn’t have late on day 2.
The fact that nobody disappeared for hours during the World Cup or people entering in the tournament room at noon or later on Sunday helped A LOT as well. it was possible to find your next opponent any time. Let me say that for what my perception of how the things went, I do think that the alcool policies applied this year helped very much. As long as it helped to have everyone in the hotel for lunch without split the group making long walk to find something to eat or alcohol to drink like happened many times in many World Cup.
As said by Alkis and Rodolfo less games have their merits but:
We come to the World Cup to play FFS!
As said by Ian we could organise a cup to play aside the World Cup, after stage one is over. After day one using the final table of the 4 groups so having a balanced cup groups or simply a total random draw. That can be easily arranged on the fly. And if people prefer to rest they can skip the cup. It is definitely an easy task that can be arranged even with pen and paper (there are plant of app for Android or iPhone that handle that) then these games are recorded and ranked to give prestige to the games according we use standard rules (5x2 matches and so on).
About a format change to have more games. I would avoid.
As long as I would avoid a 2 legs day one unless we have 6 players or less per group. But as long as we have groups of 8+ players one round is welcome. Better to face more opponent and have big groups rather than to come back in the early days of the koa with small groups to have 2 legs group.
Anyway I think that if things would work always like this year, I wouldn’t cut the play out stage to define position. But who could predict this aspect? So I’m for the safe way.

Hardware issues

Gents, Amiga are old. CRT can’t be assembled any more and banned from the market from early 2000’.
If you argue we didn’t have 12 perfect amiga stations, if you have a basement stuffed of commodore hardware, you are welcome to share it at the World Cup .
Otherwise It is impossible to have a tournament room with all the station perfectly working. We have to accept some compromise and to have some flexibility.
Difficult to talk about compromises and flexibility to retro maniacs like us though.
Anyway, one of the greatest prestige we have talking about our tournament is the fact that we play rigorously on real hardware and crt.
There is a big merit in it.
Although I think that sooner or later we will have to deal with the orribile word “emulation”
I do think that in between there is still room for FPGA word. And nowadays it seems that fpga costs less than a real Amiga.
Game of Shame

It’s tradition. I like this tradition. And btw I do think there isn’t anything shame in the game of shame. Of course it is a joke. But if people who play the GOS feels themselves injured. That would be a pity.
I’d like to listen to the opinion of the players who attended it and also those who plays in the neighbourhood of the GOS to decide the best thing to do in such regard.
For what I concern, the biggest shame we ever had in the game of shame, it was when we couldn’t make it because of organising problems I had in Milan. So I wore the GOS t-Shirt with (de)merit.

The Draw

It is up to the organiser.
I think that the draw and the opening ceremony could be handled separately, to have the draw on Friday night (to enter in World Cup mode on Friday night already) and to have the the ceremony on Saturday morning.
But if the show must be done at once for work reason, I don’t think it is a big problem to have everything on Saturday. I just prefer on Friday because you know, in champions league or the real soccer World Cup the groups are done in advance so, to see the groups on Friday night is cool. To me at least.
About the “country mates issue” I’m really bored about bad luck to find any time my cousin twice at every World Cup. I avoid him just only when he does’t attend it!
I know that such restrictions may work but just to be disappointed on day two as they are grouped again in the second stage where things really matter.
Camber's workload and The App

Flowers and wine for Camber a part, they are needed of course, we need to fix some players to handle the broadcast thing.
We need at least two players that study the tournament software to fix it when it is necessary. We have to study a task force for this.

Unbalanced groups?

Are you kidding me?

Social media

If we could find some sponsorship that could be helpful. maybe an Emir to cover all the costs and maybe the flights to the players.
About social media, any year we have something going on but hardly this is converted in new players to attend.
In 2012 I did a massive work, and many Italians gaming magazines published the news of the World Cup in Milan. We had zero incoming due to that.
Better to think about possible sponsorship. Social media are read by persons that don’t move their asses from their armchairs.