20th Kick Off 2 World Cup | The Stories

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

20th Kick Off 2 World Cup | The Stories

Postby Rodolfo » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:57 pm

Disclaimer: this probably got a little too long. But after rereading it turns out that this is what I want to say. On the other hand, no one is forced to read 8)

I can hardly describe how immensely happy I felt all throughout this last World Cup. Twenty years after my first appearance there I was again in Athens, where it all begun for me, to participate for the 16th time in this glorious event.

I knew (we all did) that this was going to be a superb one, because we had Alkis as the main organizer, and he knows perfectly both for professional and personal experience what to do for all of us to enjoy the WC weekend.

Anyway my best expectations were crushed from the beginning: the real thing was better than whatever I had imagined in my wildest dreams. If only because of this lovely detail: the WC begun on Alkis Day and ended on Steve Camber’s birthday. How could we possibly have picked a more perfect timing?

For those of us lucky enough to have been there since the early days, it is amazing how much the KOA main event has evolved. And this time reached a pinnacle that will be impossible to match for many years to come.

On a personal note, this was sure going to be very special for me: I had skipped the last one in 2019 because of other engagements. Then, as we all know, covid came and turned our lives upside down. There have sadly been other very negative developments in the world, and who knows what lies ahead for us in the future. But if we learned anything is that we cannot give the next WC or any future event for granted, and I am sure that we all shared that emotion along these few days together, making this gathering extra special.

Above all, there was that feeling of a very much desired re-encounter. As cheesy as it may sound, we all could feel the love in this WC. That also made bitterer some key absences of long-time friends, you know who you are, which I really hope we will get to meet again very soon.

I arrived for the first time on a Wednesday. My flight to Madrid instead of Jerez landed in Seville because of some deep mist, like coming out of the Stephen King novel, so we had to get there by bus and arrived to Madrid with a delay of almost five hours. I have to say that in spite of these unfortunate events I call myself lucky for having booked the Madrid and the Athens flights with such a wide time difference that in the end allowed my not to miss the second flight of the day. I had a booked taxi waiting for me at the airport, and arrived smoothly and swiftly to The Stanley Hotel.

The hotel did not disappoint, and my room was big enough, perfectly clean and with a great double bed. Also in the next morning I could enjoy a very good buffet breakfast.

Since this was my third time in Athens, and both times before I had visited the Acropolis, for this year I decided just to walk around the impressive site instead of going up. It was a very rewarding event, and after completely surrounding the big monumental rock, I entered for the first time the Acropolis museum. It was an overwhelming experience, which only had the downside of reminding me that my classical culture knowledge of the history and the myths is not what it should be to get the most out of the place. Still I loved very much the museum, and was deeply moved when I found myself in front of the true Acropolis caryatides.

After some casual lunch, went back to the hotel to have a nice siesta, knowing that in the evening we had already arranged the first meeting: Alkis, Klaus, Panayotis and me would go to have dinner together. And oh, what a dinner that was! The place was picked by KOA Greek foodie expert Panayotis. Since the menu was in Greek only (which shows how authentic the place was) I merely put one condition: ask for whatever you want as long as it does not have cheese (sorry again for being a drag about this every year in every meal), and then the four of us shared seven or eight dishes that turned out to be incredibly tasty, varied, and also even cheap.

It is funny that when I go in Jerez to a McDonalds (not very often) always reminds me of KOA WC meals, but oh, not this WC. With all due respect for other past host countries, in Greece they do have real food (only Italy qualifies high too on that aspect), and the Thursday dinner was only the beginning of an personal and intense love affair with the local food that would last for the whole weekend.

Also, of course, the company was delightful, as I always knew it would be. Group dinners are good, but getting this kind of intimate gathering with dearest long time KOA friends it also has been one of the features that made me love this WC like no other.

Everything was going great so far, and then on Friday morning Spyros had been so nice as to offer to take me to a day trip to Cape Sounio. When I arrived to our meeting point I found that his wife, Tatiana, was also coming with us, what made our little trip even better. I already expected the journey to be a nice one, but I have to admit that “nice” is not at all an appropriate word to describe the excursion. It just falls too short. Driving through the Athens Riviera, mostly by a sea adorned with crystal waters, little beaches, and a continuous array of smaller and bigger rocks and islands, on a winding road, on a clear day, just wow. Finally arriving to Cape Sounio, topped by the Temple of Poseidon, which we visited, can only be described as one of the most magical experiences of my life. And it was a privilege that I could share it with such lovely friends as Tatiana and Spyros.

Then, as it has been a constant of this extended WC, things got better, and they treated me for lunch at an astonishing restaurant by the sea in Vougliameni. We had excellent and abundant food, this time mostly of sea products, beautifully served, in the best company. I enjoyed it so much that I must say that I feel a little tormented of not being able to repay them in a lifetime for such an out of this world day trip. But I promise I will do my best!

And then, after some rest back in the hotel, most people arrived and the WC itself really begun. Oh, what a glorious feeling to commence seeing classic KOA faces, to share the first drinks together at the hotel bar… at first I was with Chris, Jaume, Michele and Thor, and then received a message by Samu telling me that he had met Alessandro and Gianni in the same flight. I am so glad that for the Málaga boys to begin their first WC in such exceptional way.

Most of us went to the designated place to have the Friday WC dinner, and I loved getting to see such a lively area of Athens. The food as it was served was a very good idea, just huge platters of different kinds of meat and fries, all served with big glasses of beer. Not only was good, but avoided us the hassle of having to order individually. When most people had decided to back to the hotel a select few were lured by Robert to stay having more drinks, and that kept us happily entertained until almost two in the morning. However, once we arrived to the metro station the fence was already down, so we had to get some taxis to go back to the hotel. Completely worth it!

The next morning, after such a long and disgraceful pause, it was, at last, World Cup Saturday.

There was a little anecdote on breakfast: I saw Michele sitting in a 4 chairs table, and went to sit with him and some other guy which I thought was Manfred. I began talking to him about the day ahead, showing him my cool Athens 2022 t-shirt, Jaume also joined us, and after a few minutes of conversation turned out to be that that man was not Manfred, but a Norwegian tourist having breakfast on his own. It seems that he was just too kind not to follow the conversation, although he probably did not understand much of it. What puzzles me the most is why was Michele sitting in his table.

First of all I complied with my duty of going to the registration desk and paying for the WC fee, meals and t-shirt. And I got to meet again, after so long, Roula, and for the first time, beautiful Nephele. It was so awfully nice to get to see the whole family, and I must say that it also made me miss the presence of some other classic KOA wives, which graced us with their presence in past World Cups. Besides Roula, in charge of the registration process, were two pretty ladies that also played a big role in making the WC experience better for all of us: Penny and Vicky.

I remembered very well Penny from 2008, and she looked just as nice and sweet. The new addition in this WC was Vicky. When I got there to say hello and register, for some reason she spoke a record number of words in a few seconds, which was equally an impressive show of energy and a bit scary. I believe afterwards I gave all my matches results to Penny, though I could not help quite often observing energetic Vicky from a safe distance. Above all, the work they did was simply perfect, and one can only think of what a downer it will be in the future to give the results to someone else.

It was marvellous to finally get to see the rest of the Greeks, and I must highlight my favourite Vasilis. He provided me with accommodation in his own apartment 20 years before, after being only faceless MSN friends, and showed to me for the first time the enormous generosity that most KOAers era endowed with.

The presentation and draw was so wonderful, with Alkis and Robert doing what they do best: keeping a perfectly balanced presentation and draw ceremony that is as informative, and as moving, as it is entertaining, all done with the invaluable collaboration of Nephele, who did a perfect job. However, to me the best part was the recollection of memories of past World Cups, so necessary, so poignant, to put us all definitely in the best WC mood. The KOA has indeed a rich history that is worth to be revised.

After that we played kick off matches. I did not do very good, but cannot say it was a surprise. I did my best match in the first one against George Ka, but lost, and then everything got worse. However I had my moments, like when I took the lead twice in my match against Mario. By the way, it was funny that after scoring, he selected lockout. Come on, it was only me, no need to expect lobs or quality kick off routines :P

For the dinner we had another great time at Salero restaurant. Panayotis had the clever idea of giving us in the afternoon the list of main dishes so we could choose in advance, while he arranged for everybody the starters. Once again, good real food, in good quantities. I had the luck of seating beside Nikos (and luckily there would be a second on Sunday), who always has interesting subjects for conversation and provided me of valuable information about Athens life. In the end, as it was another constant of the weekend, while almost all of us retired, Robert wanted to stay longer. But this time I believe it was only him and Panayotis who asked for another drink.

The next morning it was World Cup Sunday, the day that we all are waiting for. It is the time when you will be grouped together with your kick off equals (more or less), and when each one of us has to show how far he will get on a levelled field. No more Giannis, no more Thors, no more excuses.

I had luck on my Silver Cup group, and managed to finish first after winning all matches except for a draw with Ian. But honestly, it was really some luck: most results were really close, and could have easily gone either way. The best consequence was, that once eliminated from the Silver Cup competition format the traditional (though hugely absurd) quarters and semis, I was going to play my sixth Silver Cup Final. That made me very happy; although when I realized that I would have to play against Gabriele I knew that my chances of victory were really slim. It happened that I had already played a friendly with him the day before, and knew first-hand how he was in many ways better than me. The only hope I kept is that he got nervous because of having to play in the big screen, but was I wrong! He is not just young, has the best hair, killer lobs, but he is also cold as ice. Although I scored the first goal and played a decent first half, he completely dominated the game on the second, and already before the final whistle I resigned and just wasted time waiting for the end. Congratulations, don Gabriele.

That is as far as my personal performance goes, but of course, on a WC there is so much more. It is so thrilling watching the big guys’ games, and being witness of great stories, like Samu beating mighty Alkis on his WC debut, and above all, the story that captivated my heart: the incredible advance of Lorenzo to semi-finals.

Lorenzo was in the old days a classic Silver Cup player. In fact, he was always the one that I wanted to avoid, but proving that everything is possible with determination and hard work, he was the biggest and nicest surprise of this tournament. Too busy with my own games I missed him getting to quarters instead of Alkis (another historic moment per se), but then I heard that he had qualified for semi-finals! I went to look for him to congratulate him, and found him out of the room, telling his wife about it on the phone, with tears in his eyes that very soon appeared in mine as well. Amazingly for him the dream would still go further, and he reached the 2022 KOA WC final, where heroically resisted for practically all the first half of leg one without conceding a single goal. This has been one of the best sport stories in the 20 editions we have had so far of the KOA WC, while at the same time being a very touching one.

The final was, although as I have said Lorenzo resisted heavily at first, dominated with iron fist by Gianni, who achieved his 5th title. He was already the most successful player of all times, but it was also true that for all of us and most likely for him, the last big achievement was getting a little behind. I can see that it may take more or less time, but the 5th will definitely not be the last. Bravo, campione!

As it has been the case of Alkis too, one can only wonder how much Gianni could have won throughout these twenty World Cups if he had not been often so busy and involved as main or secondary organizer. Most of us, who just get there and play and enjoy, must never forget that always, behind a fun event for most, there is very hard work by a few. And this goes, above all, for Alkis, Gianni and Steve. Always there, always giving, always ready to help the rest of us to have the best of times.

After the competition was over, it was time for the closing ceremony. Again, what happened exceeded my expectations. First of all, it was great that we finally could finish on a decent time, so we could have this beautiful unifying moment at the proper pace it deserves. We must keep that in mind before complaining about empty hours on Sunday.

Alkis took the microphone to begin with the presentation of the highest KOA honour: The Lifetime Achievement Award, which was so rightly given to Alessandro. No need to remark his fundamental role as co-organizer in several World Cups and other tournaments, since Alkis already did that in front of everyone. I just want to share some personal memories of him. To me it all began in Cologne 2005, where somehow we connected so fine since the first day. Already on the Saturday evening dinner, at a Mexican restaurant, he was sitting in front of me, inviting me to go to Italy, to stay in his house, putting himself at my service! I also remember that 2005 WC because I arrived at a very very low personal point, but having Alessandro around is the best therapy anyone could ask for. Seventeen years later he is still here, always making everything better around him, and I could not be happier that he got this award. The emotional speech he delivered made all of us have to wipe some tear, and that is a lot of what the KOA is about: an association of kick off 2 players who care for each other.

One of the new players told me how positively amazed he was that among so many people there was not a single asshole. Yes, there was not (in this edition). We do not all have to be close friends, and it is only normal that each one of us connects a little more with this or that player. But in the end we are all, better and worse players, extroverts or shy persons, in the same boat, making all together the dream possible once more.

The last WC was also very special for me because of the arrival of Fran and Samu, to join the already veteran Jaume and me and conform a respectable national team. I am sure that they enjoyed this new experience enormously, and that they probably regret not having got here before. But what really counts is that now that they made contact (and at least in Samu’s case, tasted the flavourful blood of getting victories over KOA legends) they are certainly going to stay as long as we have the World Cups running. It was a pity that Jaume could not win the Bronze Cup, and that Fran could not play with me an all Spanish Silver Cup final, but this was not the year for that. This was the year of Italy, and a little for Greece as well. In summary, all the champions were from the Mediterranean area, and it is only fair considering how nicely they feed us every time we are there :D

Before dinner, a few of us gathered at the rooftop bar, and it was lovely that Vicky joined us. I could speak a little more with her and share a drink, to gladly confirm that she is a very cool and interesting girl. I must say I was very pleased to meet her.

In that small drinking group it occurred to someone to give Andy a video phone call, and that was truly nice, I hope for him as well. I really would love to get more of Andy in future big tournaments.

For Sunday dinner the restaurant was again a great choice by Panayotis, and in my opinion the best one counting only official dinners, Friday to Sunday. The food was terribly good, the dishes were big, and on top of it we could sing happy birthday to the great Steve Camber. This last dinner is also usually very emotional, since we all know that it is the final event of the glorious WC weekend. Already knowing that we need to say goodbye, but not even wanting to look at the watch, we stayed in the restaurant until it was obvious that the staff needed to go home. Then we continued the precious last moments together at the hotel’s rooftop bar. For some people there would still be breakfast, perhaps a last Athens walk on Monday, but my plane was too early and had to say au revoir to the last KOAers who were there.

Only had one last appointment: Lorenzo shared with me the morning taxi to the airport, whit his soul full of joy and his baggage full of silverware. Could not have been more perfect.

What a weekend. Really, you cannot realize how happy all of you have made me feel. When unexpectedly Alkis handed me the microphone, I remember I begun by quoting the first two verses of one of my favourite songs: “With so little to be sure of / if there’s anything at all”. Of course that the lines are so good that could not be my invention. I used them to begin in order to remark how incredibly important is that we preserve at any cost these marvellous gatherings, in spite of the so many hazards we must stand in the usual personal matters of health, money, love, and now to make it even worse, world pandemics, inflation, and international conflicts.
Here you have the full lyrics (of the most usual solo version, at its original theatre form is a duet):

With so little to be sure of,
If there's anything at all.
If there's anything at all.
I'm sure of here and now and us together.

All I'll ever be I owe you,
If there's anything to be.
Being sure enough of you
Makes me sure enough of me.

Thanks for everything we did,
Everything that's past,
Everything's that's over too fast.
None of it was wasted,
All of it will last:
Everything that's here and now and us together!

It was marvelous to know you
And it isn't really through.
Crazy business this, this life we live in-
Can't complain about the time we're given-
With so little to be sure of in this world,
We had a moment!
A marvelous moment!

Isn’t it marvellous when you find a song that speaks about yourself, that describes better than anything you could ever try your very own feelings?

After all, that is the usual when you are in love.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO.
MicheleL
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re: 20th Kick Off 2 World Cup | The Stories

Postby MicheleL » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:05 pm

Belle parole Rodolfo !!!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:49 am

Fantastic write-up, thank you for your time and your kind words.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:23 am

Wow. That is simply the best write-up I've ever read. Thank you Rodolfo.

But... Now I feel even more gutted I couldn't make it this year...
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
LORENZO L
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby LORENZO L » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:10 pm

dear Rodolfo well thank you very much for this story of yours, which further describes what a wonderful person you are ... You managed to make me move again, I love you brother ....
Silver Cup 2010 Dusseldorf, Germany
Best Defender 2016 Milan, Italy
Silver Cup 2018 Bournemouth, England
2° Position 2022 Athens, Greece
World Cup presences n° 11
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:09 am

When I said my last goodbye in Bremen, we couldn’t realise what there was going on already and what would have arrived over Europe and the whole world in a while.
That “See you All next year” was disappointed in a way we couldn’t figure out at all.
A fact that very few knew is that for the same reason we missed 2 world cups, I was going to stay at home this year as I was positive 11 days before my flight for Athens. You can’t figure out the tension when I made an official test Sunday, 5 days before the flight with the possibility to be marked positive again and due to law restrictions still applied in Italy, I would have missed Athens.
Luckily that test gave me the green pass and the green light for Greece.
With this in my heart I start my Chronicle, for myself and for those who are glad to read this halting English.

Friday - Christmas Eve

This year for some organising reasons (I badly checked the flights) the Kick Off House fellas were split in two: the Fichera Bros from Bergamo airport and the Cousins from Malpensa.
The first KOA moment and 1st KOA face award happened right there: cousin and I were waiting to be boarded next to the boarding gate when a guy with a cap on his head I’ve never seen before approached to me saying:”You are Gianni Torchio!!”
I followed cousin with a rapt gaze and he was palm face already and he said in a whisper:” fucking VIP” :)))))))
Well, he was Samu! Who was in Malpensa changing flight to Athens. Along with Fran of course! We had a short chat then we boarded.
So the flight went smoothly and perfectly on time. Hurrah easyJet!
Once landed we grouped together with the Spaniards and we shared a cab to get the downtown and the Stanley Hotel on time for the first koa event.
You know I can’t hide I have a fondness for some koaers and I was so happy to meet again after many years Panayotis and Spyros. And many others were in the lobby already, like Thor, Chris, Nikos, Frank, Sir Camber, Steve B, Ian, Rodolfo, Jaume, Cornelius, Klaus, Hanns, Manfred and… Robert and Alkis!
In a moment it seemed that time wasn’t passed. It seemed that we said goodbye right the night before. Probably this is the Christmas magic.
Just the time to make check in and take the room that we were again in the lobby to go for the dinner.
Spyros like Leonida led the 300 koaers to the Green Rose Beer Restaurant.
The place was very nice, beers were very good and food was simply delicious.
I realised that Greeks have the same Italian approach to the food. A sort of religion. It is common to say that Greek and Italian have some bond. This is surely one of them!Panayotis choose a selection of VERY GOOD restaurants, it’s been an experience. Thanks Pano! There is a Tartufo waiting for you here!
Although this year I promised to myself to stay as long as I could with my friends in the night, I was dead tired and at a point I decided come back to hotel. So when I saw Christopher waking up from his sit, cousin and I decided to follow him. We had a nice chat along with Steve B talking about the seeding and kick off stuff (of course!) we reached almost easily the hotel and we fallen instantly asleep although the emotion was high already, thinking that the World Cup was at the doors.
Last edited by Torchiador on Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:50 am

Rod, I wanted to finish my write up before reading yours. But I couldn't.
Thanks for your time writing this. you destroyed everyone who was there living what described so incredibly well, thinking we still need 358 days to be together again (hopefully) and I think you destroyed even more who couldn't make it.
All you said man, I do think I don't need to finish my write up! All you said! <3
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:23 am

Oh, come on, enough of my post, I want to read your stories! You are going to make me sorry i posted mine ;)

I want your anecdotes which should be different than mine, I want good descriptions of kick off matches which I hardly covered, opinions on players and people... Go, do not be sissies!

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO.
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:32 pm

Sure, I gonna do it!
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:19 pm

Saturday - Christmas Day 1

Btw I forgot to mention Michele who was in Athens early in the morning and, above all, our Italian Rookie Gabriele joining his first World Cup! I want to spend a couple of words for him. He found the Kick off House thanks to Steve Camber as he never knew about us but he found Kick Off On Line searching the web and he practised well there. He joined his first tournament in Milan right past year and we understood immediately two things: 1) he was skilled. 2) he was a natural born kick off house fellow, as you may have noticed in the tournament room and social events.

Coming back on subject, as soon as I woke up I realised where I actually was: a luxurious hotel in Athens downtown! Men! there was even a heated rooftop swimming pool! just amazing.
Not only, to be in Athens, isn't just like to be in any other cities in the world because you aren't just in a city. You actually are right inside the school book of history of your childhood. From the hotel rooftop was even possible to admire the Parthenon! was it possible to ask for anything more?

After a very good breakfast with cousin we went in the tournament room to meet the part of the group that was missing the night before. With my biggest joy I was pleased to meet for the first time face to face Nephele, the lovely Alkis’ daughter. I saw her many times in picture but reality is quite better than picture! So lovely and so gentle. Together with her of course Mamma Roula. Probably time has stopped in Greece, she is exactly as I remembered the last time I met her. Thanks God Nephele took everything from her mather and (perhaps) a nail from her father.

At the desk I had the pleasure to meet again Penny. I remember her from Athens 2008, also for her, time is definitely not passed. There should be something in Greece, I must investigate. At last the very nice new entry in the world cup team staff: Vicky, she is a very nice person, it's been a true pleasure to share time with her the week end as she joined us also in other social KOA moments.

At the amigas stations there were many players practising already. But Steve instead that was working with software.
I will post it in a separate thread when I finish this but I prefer to start right here: we have to do something to avoid Steve to be so engaged by organising duties during the tournament.
We should assign a lifetime achievement every year for him and a monument in every city we held a World Cup. But I’m sure he would rather prefer to play calm his tournament instead.
As I said in the speech he does already A LOT even before the tournament.

The opening ceremony was one of the Alkis’ masterpieces of the week end. You remember the one in 2008, was that so good, right? Amatorial compared to this one. Lovely ceremony in a such professional way that it seemed to be at the Oscar Night in full effect. Next Athens I expect Alkis presenting the world cup dressed in smoking, no less.
Then followed the draw and the microphone passed in Robert hands with the important support of Nephele at the desk while Alkis as director at his laptop.
Here happened to record one of the misc stats I like to notice: Nephele, designed to draw the 4 groups of the World Cup, found my name in the very last ball of the draw. I was quite happy winning the challenge with Rodolfo ho got the penultimate ball. You know: the lasts will be the firsts! :)

About the 4 groups of day 1 I do think they were quite balanced. During the seeding process, days before the World Cup, we had some problem to find the correct position on SteveB, Samu and Gabriele. Afterwards I can say we did a good job with the first two. For the latter one I was sure we were under seeding him but it was impossible to pull him over that 7th seed for many reasons. on the other hand seeding are done to be broken. this year this sentence was applicable also to me as for the first time in many years I wasn't the #1 of the seeding.

Finally my group was composed and I analysed a bit before to start.
I have to check how many times it happened but once AGAIN, although there is just 25% to have cousin in my group, well, that 25% magically become 100%. Any given World Cup I have him at the first stage and Again, as we don’t play to much together in Milan, we find each other on stage 2 as well! And there wasn’t Sandro, otherwise we would have him in our group as well. It’s a curse!
All the groups had their own dangers.
On my group I had my special ones: Mario. In my opinion is one of the most talented players in the world. On his side there was also a special bonus: Marco, his son that quietly supported his daddy the whole week end.
Alessandro. any time he is glad to ruin my best defence bid because usually he scores widely over his World Cup AVG against me! On his side he knows me like no others. On my side I can say the same about him!
Then there was Steve B, the one that in my opinion would have won the trophy of the player who performs better than expected (I would call this trophy as “the seeding smasher” BTW.
That trophy went to Lorenzo but this is an another story, or better, I’ll be on it later.
There was Rodolfo then. We faced each other so many times in these years. He has World Cup experience to sell and, as the new guys in town realised this week end, World Cup experience is something that can make the difference between to win or not to win a match.
George Ka then. He won over me in 2011. Right in Athens at the National championship. He is the most skilled players among the keyboard players and I suffer a lot his game style. I read in opponent’s joystick but he doesn't use a joystick, that is a keyboard! Probably that is the secret!
Hannes and Antonis were closing our group. The last time I met Hannes was past Bremen World Cup. I’m glad he could make Athens although the trip to reach the 2022 kick off city was quite far, compared to the cities he attended in the past World Cups.
On the other side there was Antonis. I saw him in Athens 2008 and perhaps at the Greek championship 2011, don’t remember correctly. What I remembered well instead is his smiling face as soon as I met him in the tournament room it was more or less the same as 14 years ago.

A step back now.

In October 2021 we played the first tournament post covid of the KOA. It’s been a great pleasure to come back in action and to see friends again, specially those who went from very far like Germany and Norway.
I was totally out of practice basically from 2018, Year in which I started with cousin our secondary job with ‘90 Arcades cabinets.
In that tournament I had my worst performance ever. In matches, in goal scored and goal against.
Looking afterwards that tournament was a gift to me as it allowed me to understand that I couldn’t live anymore just on my naked talent.
Talent must be fed with practice. Specially now that there are so many talented Champions and new talented players are emerging thanks to online gaming.
So, for the first time in since 2014 I had a proper training this year thanks to Alessandro and Lorenzo.
I was feeling very confident about myself and I wanted to match my feelings with results on the pitch.
I tried to stay very focused in all my match to keep my tension at the highest level.
That helped me a lot to stay practised on my moves and to play always in tense situations like it happens on big screen. This attitude had a couple of side effects: because of the tension I had my hands totally cold 2 days straight. Second: I was sorry for Hannes and Antonis as I went too far in the score.

I think I had a very good match with Steve who played well with me, also Alessandro played a very good first half then he lost me in the second.
Also George played well as I expected from him stopping me many times: luckily I did the same to him. Mario scored some very nice goal but not enough to stay in the match.
Rodolfo had some trouble closing the doors while I was attacking and he didn’t feed his Barber as he should, that resulted in a wide loss for him.
During the first round we had a break for the meal. I can fairly say that the Hotel served the best meal we ever had in world cups so far. the price-quality ratio was impossible. That was another Alkis' masterpiece.

So I won all my matches of the first stage and I was quite happy about my performance. I was feeling right about myself. I was leading even in scoring and defence comparing the 4 groups of the first stage (it wasn't happening for very long time). The performance I had in Milan 13 months before was behind. The final boss was back again.

So it was already late in the night as you know as usual we go late... NOWAY! we finished all our matches and it was just 4 o'clock! we all finished very early and everyone was still eager to play again. some would have liked to start second stage! there was so much time to get dinner time :D so many continued to play friendlies while organisers prepared the second stage.

I think that we were able to keep the time table correct for some precise reasons. one was for sure that we had a lot of good amiga stations and there wasn't queue behind a specific station and there wasn't a specific amiga always empty because it wasn't good. Because of this I say a big thanks to our Greek friends sharing their precious piece of Hardware. thank you from the bottom of my heart. I know what means to share your delicate amiga and CRT. I do think that KOA people knew and treated amiga with respect and softness.

the second reason was that we were all together at lunch and we didn't split in the city looking for something to eat wasting time, lot of time. and 3rd people wasn't disappearing during the tournament so we were always able to find our opponents and play. Don't know what was the precise reason about this but that was so.
Again an Alkis' masterpiece: the time table.

In the night we had another fantastic dinner. Panayotis thank you so much again, that was just amazing. I loved any moment. but I don't mean food only. I think that we waited so much to stay all together again that I think I tried even to breath the KOA, to steal any moment. one of the reasons because I did so many pictures. The big surprise to me was to see Tatiana again. Lovely Spyros' wife. I remember a picture of 2008 WC, their 2 years old daughter was crawling over an amiga. now she is 16. Sixteen! can't believe it. specially thinking to my kids.
That was indeed a lovely night.

Coming back at the Hotel, we went on the rooftop again to take a couple of pictures in the windy night. another spectacular moment that I shared with cousin. tired but very happy we went to sleep. The World Cup was getting serious.
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:06 am

Again I forgot something from the day before: and that of course was a Alkis' masterpiece. The game of shame.

The decision to play the match on day one was a very nice idea and, having so much spere time in the afternoon, that was quite natural. What wasn't natural was the amazing idea Alkis had for the players entrance at the GOS. hope there are pictures of this. Manfred and Hannes entered in the tournament room welcomed by a human tunnel (the 30 players) that led to the main amiga station, The Centre Court. I think that it's been a memorable moment.
I met Manfred in Bremen and I remember we had some nice chat there. As he was a local player I didn't know if I would have seen again somewhere else than Germany. But I was wrong and this year I realised that he wasn't a flash in the pan and now I'm sure that he will join the next world cup wherever it will be hosted. Joining day two only as he said :D
Both offered a very entertaining match and this was surely the best game of shame ever. Hannes deserved the win and Manfred deserved the the best shirt of shame ever! actually it wasn't a t-shirt but an apron that I'm sure Manfred will wear with pride in romantic dinners at his home.

I talked about my day one group but the other 3 were quite entertaining as well. Thor, the former world champion that was of course tipped as the winner of the group instead went second as he lost with his long time friend and rival Chris who topped the group then. Robert reached a very good third place and Frank went 4th good enough to get the World cup group, the best 16 players.

Fabio won all the 7 matches and being one of the favourite for the world cup he also was second in goal scored. just me and him were at 21 points and I knew he was on of the biggest threats on my road to world cup.
Nikos surprised everybody with a vintage performance leaving behind no less than Spyros, a 2 times world champion with 3 world cup finals. one more than Thor and Fabio, to say who we are talking about. of course Spyros isn't the same Spyros of the 2000's but he is always a world champion and at times he can do what he wants with the ball. so kudos to Nikos reaching the second place and Panayotis reaching the 4th place with the same Spyros point.

Group C was the most entertaining of all. it was the group where defence ruled strong and where the position weren't defined till the last match. Steve made another great day one performance of his and he topper the group with the best goal score and best avg of his group. No organiser syndrome for him! so forget what I wrote about him above.
The second place could seem scanty for a two times world champion like Alkis but sometimes but considering the situation, we could consider it as another Alkis masterpiece. specially because he got the same Steve's points.
Behind them there was Lorenzo reaching a safe 13 points. 3 behind the pair that topped the group and 2 more than Samu. Lorenzo was again in the top 16 and that was so for Samu getting the gold group at his first world cup. congratulations!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:25 pm

Excellent Parts 2 & 3! I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

Thank you for your kind words, and screw you for the nail comment! :lolo:
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
LORENZO L
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby LORENZO L » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:49 pm

I take courage to describe my story hoping to convey my emotions.. ..
....... I find myself in a closet to take a picture with an Alien next to me and in front of the undisputed champion of Greece to congratulate, and take some pictures, we go out together, and to welcome us I find 40 people applauding in front of the "Big screen" and like my boxing matches in the presentation ...."in the right corner the Cinderella of the tournament" ....I sit down , and I realize that it's all true ... it's not a dream .... And to think that a double pole could have changed everything ...

It all started in June 2020 I was stupidly convinced the world championship could be done and I book the plane to Athens there was a good offer, but maybe it's better this way because I could have trained for another 2 years.
On Friday 4th 2022 I finally take that plane and arrive only with the idea of ​​savoring every moment. The duration of the metro made me enjoy the very particular landscape of this land that I had never seen and the sympathy of the people who made me think that they are very similar to Italians. In the evening I was very tired and after eating a sandwich with my "brother" Mario and the small but great Fabietto, I collapsed thanks to the time change. On Saturday morning I go to have breakfast under the booked b&b, in a bar and my attention is caught by an excellent "energy cocoa" snak as well as the cappuccino. Even Mario was happy with the choice :) as he was our talisman in the following days.
Entering the hall of the beautiful hotel, I was welcomed by the very kind girls (they were the icing on this event) and then by my great friend Rodolfo. Nothing is random dear friend, because you were the first and the last to say hello...
There was so much emotion on my part to try out certain mechanisms with the new joystick, which thanks to months of work I created together with Mario, whom I will never stop thanking for the patience with me this past year. I take this opportunity to make a small advertising corner: if you want Mario to make a customized joystick, his contact is millemediane@gmail.com but excluding Saturdays and Sundays because his partner is a bit jealous :)
Returning to Saturday morning, I slowly said goodbye to all my Greek friends, especially Ektoras, whom I hadn't seen for a long time, to whom I dedicate all the best for him and see you next year...
There were the myths Spyros and Nikos, the Kostas, Vasilis, George, Panayotis and Antonis but also for the first time at a World Cup, Spain's online opponents Franetti and Samuel, Manfred (Koff's Mick Jagger) the veterans Robert Frank, Klaus and Cornelius and my adventure partner Chris, the reigning champion Thor and all the others, even if I must say it was strange not seeing my dear Jorn and Andy, Mark D. and the legendary Jorg present. In any case, the tension of the draw that was present in the air was perceived, then at a certain point here was the small and pretty Nephele who gradually turned and drew the four groups.
A good group for me was really what I wanted, to compete with the strongest and my goal for the day was to qualify as soon as possible in the gold group and so it was.
In the evening I could not ask for better than walking through the city in the direction of that charming restaurant with an open roof and where the delights of the place were eaten divinely.
The next day I should have felt the tension, but instead I felt good, I had my goal clear inside me and I was willing to pursue it relaxed with the "energy cocoa" in my belly, eager to face the champions of my group one by one iron.
The first was my great online opponent Steve Baker to whom I envied the whole tournament his fabulous joystick and his millimetric routines, but this time my 10 world championships and his emotion made the difference, but I know that the next time it won't be the same story. Immediately after him, fate and good fortune or call it what you want would have accompanied me with an athletic gesture from Cox towards the final.... the second part follows
Last edited by LORENZO L on Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Cup 2010 Dusseldorf, Germany
Best Defender 2016 Milan, Italy
Silver Cup 2018 Bournemouth, England
2° Position 2022 Athens, Greece
World Cup presences n° 11