UK Championships 2022 - Manchester 17 Sep (Provisional)

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Noodlebug

UK Championships 2022 - Manchester 17 Sep (Provisional)

Postby Noodlebug » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:55 pm

Hey everyone, I feel like we don't have any real excuse not to do a UK Championship this year now Covid's sort of gone-but-not-really.

I reached out to Ian who was arranging the abortive 2020 edition, sadly he's not in a position to resurrect that at the present time because circumstances. Steve Camber is tentatively on board if things come together, so hardware shouldn't be an issue.

If this is left to me, I envisage something small and inexpensive and makeshift. I'd be happy with 10-12 people, and go ahead with 6, though I haven't really worked out the economics of it all. If anyone objects to the proud legacy of the UKCs being tarnished we can just make it a regular tournament. If anyone else wants to take command, please, weave your magic. (Robert?)

I propose a Saturday in September because we don't want to run too close to the WC, but need to let people come back from their holidays. Shall we start the bidding at 17th September?

Venue-wise I think Manchester fits the bill, I've already got 5 people who would attend if it's there, and can probably add a couple of Vellas, and its not too far for various Yorkshire/Midlands folk. That seems to be where most of the active players are these days (sorry Andy!). I'm back up in Newcastle so it's a bit of a trek for me too (also not sure how long I'll be in the country for).

So please let me know if you would be likely to attend, or if any small tweaks could improve your likelihoodness. Or if you have to rule yourself out but still have words of encouragement. Any help/advice/local information/hard cash would also be welcomed.

That is all.
Last edited by Noodlebug on Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------
Newbie for 12 years
Silver Cup runner up 2017
Bronze Cup and Best Defence runner up 2018
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Re: UK Championships 2022 (Provisional)

Postby Steve Camber » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:03 am

Let's do this! I'm flexible on dates and location.
I can also provide 3 decent amiga stations and a few spare TVs if required.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:29 am

Up for this, I'm up in Rotherham near camber now too... Have 1 1200, 1 500 and 3 good monitors.
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
Fiery Phoenix
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Fiery Phoenix » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:46 pm

Yeah, depending on dates maybe able to do (few commitments / golf weekends booked in) few decent cheap places outside Manc city centre for lower prices, esp ones with train stations, Wigan, Stockport, Bolton, etc

Bury and Leigh poss cheap too but no train stations, only the met in Bury and guided bus-way in Leigh, both coming from Manc city centre
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:48 pm

Can we make it south Manchester

If we did it in bury we could have an evening in the arcade club which would be fun

Anyways for me I am not sure I can manage to play ko2 anymore, but I would be very interested In attending to see People like Steve, Lee and Andy and many others.

If we have low numbers I could compete to a) make up the numbers and b) I may be ok playing a small number of games

So yeah I am tentatively interested but I do have a few commitments in September but hopefully can fit it in.
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:23 am

Any venue suggestions? Or tips on the best ways to search for suitable economical venues?
Newbie for 12 years
Fiery Phoenix
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Fiery Phoenix » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:00 pm

Bury is a good shout as arcade club is excellent and just opened a new floor too. Pity no train station for those that need it

However Manchester city centre also have a couple of retro gaming bars in the Northern Quarter which are ok. Not as good value as the Bury one though

Venues no idea. Would think local community centres won't charge as much as maybe Premier Inn conf. rooms. Could be wrong through
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:08 pm

We held two ukc's at the premier inn over the road from the Trafford centre, and some real football at the sports complex behind which I think may now be Jurassic golf?!?

It was relatively inexpensive but if people are staying I doubt they will give any special rate and pretty sure their rooms aren't that cheap due to location to Trafford centre and the ski centre
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:31 pm

As it will be a one day event and most people will probably be travelling on the day, we don't really need to take hotel rooms into account. Perhaps we're all getting a bit too old for real football too - golf might be more age appropriate! I'm pretty sure most have their own transport too, only a handful are likely to come by train (including me!) and if you're determined enough to attend, closeness of the station won't be a kill factor.

If Premier Inn (Trafford or Bury) has a conference room available perhaps I will go ahead and book it, and whatever it costs will determine whatever each of us pays (maybe with an extra £20 for pizza or whatever). If anyone gets enthusiastic enough to start organising trophies/shirt of shame etc we can adjust price accordingly before the day.

The Met in Bury (https://themet.org.uk/about/venue-hire/ ... ce-venues/) does spaces for £25 per hour plus VAT. Premier Inn Trafford looks like it's actually about £400 these days. Different rates for half day (1.00 - 5.30)/full day (8am-5.30). My feeling is four and a half hours including set-up could be a bit tight, though I suppose it depends on attendance. Thoughts from anyone whose been in this situation before?
Newbie for 12 years
Noodlebug

Re: UK Championships 2022 - Manchester 17 Sep (Provisional)

Postby Noodlebug » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:30 pm

OK, here's where we're at.

People so far up for it: Steve C, Lee, FieryPhoenix, Eternal Student, JVella, Noodlebug, Durban (non-playing)
Not canvassed but perhaps likely: Logos, Mark Vella, MrMick, gav
Not impossible but probably unlikely: Ian Kay, Steve E, Garry, Simon K, Danny, Olly D, Dino, anyone from overseas
Lost in the wind: Robert Swift and people we haven't seen since 2014.

Maybe one or two others on KOOL might be up for it, especially north-west based. j1mpster, PrestwichDude, etc. Apologies for anyone I've missed out. I don't know if the mailer still works or if it's worth fishing for people we haven't seen for 10 years. If anyone reading is in touch with anyone, you could give them a buzz.

Anyway, venue wise, the 2017 venue is an option (Manchester Premier Inn Piccadilly) but the price has gone up, now £214 for full day (8.30-5.30). If we think we can do a tournament in 4 hours, including set-up, half day is only £107 (from 1.30). £214 between around 10 people (touch wood) is manageable and even with 7 people comes out at around £30 each which is tolerable.

I am sure there are cheaper options out there, we really just need a cheap-as-chips pub basement or function room really, but they're very difficult to find online, and check for suitability. I checked all the options I could find in Bury without success. Not everyone got back to me.

If anyone has any brainwaves or feeds me some hot tips before 15 Aug, or if I accidentally stumble on somewhere perfect during my amateurish searchings, that's great. Otherwise I'll go ahead and book Piccadilly where at least we'll (some of you anyway) be on familiar ground.

That is all.
Newbie for 12 years
JohnVella
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby JohnVella » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:32 pm

Count me in.

Didn't we see Rob in 2018/2019?
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:52 pm

He confirmed for this year's WC in May, so it basically depends whether he looks at the forum between now and the tournament! Obviously if he attends it will give us the gravitas and credibility we're crying out for.
Newbie for 12 years
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:18 am

I don't think I can find us a suitable venue for 17th. The Premier Inn Piccadilly is all booked up for that date. All the quotes I'm getting for venues visible online are in the hundreds of pounds. I'm not willing to take a risk on a venue that might be cheaper but could turn out to be completely unsuitable. My respect to all of those who have organized tournaments and booked venues in the past, it is not as simple as it appears!

Sorry, guys.
Newbie for 12 years