Faulty amiga video port - advice please

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Faulty amiga video port - advice please

Postby gdh82 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 pm

The floodflight failure I've been having is in fact a problem with the video port on my A600. We discovered at our last tournament that same problem occurs even with a different cable and monitor. The port itself isn't lose or anything and shows no sign of damage.

Any ideas on if this is fixable? Alternatively I have an 'scrap' A500 which I've been using for spares (already missing a keyboard) and was wondering if the video port could in theory be transferred to the A600? Any advice appreciated.....
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Re: Faulty amiga video port - advice please

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:17 pm

Have you tried both the standard video port AND the composite video port (yellow circle)?
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Thanks Steve. We hadn't tried both at the same time but unfortunately it produces the same result. With the monitor (Commodore 1084ST) switched to RGB it's the same 'floodlight failure' and when I move the switch to CVBS/LCA it produces the B&W image?
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Does the black and white image appear to show the floodlight failure too? Or is it just standard KO2 in black and white?

Black and white while using a yellow composite video source tends to suggest a NTSC/PAL mismatch. Can you use the "two mouse buttons on boot" trick to switch PAL/NTSC (or is that just A1200) ?
--
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:18 pm

That's right Steve, the B&W picture purely lacks colour and is quite different to the floodflight failure (which no longer flickers incidentally - it's just dark!). Was out all last night but will try the mouse button trick later and let you know. Thanks again.

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:50 pm

Well that's a good sign. I'm guessing it's just a problem with the video port of your amiga instead of a problem deeper within the amiga internals. One thing to note. Never connect/disconnect anything to the video port while the amiga is on. It's ok with the yellow composite connector though.
Also, try connecting to a TV instead of your amiga monitor.
--

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Definitely good news that the composite output is perfect. 8) So it seems to confirm the RGB port is the problem.

I tried the double mouse button press on bootup and although it seems to delay the start-up (until buttons released), it doesn't appear to change the display modes (i.e still B&W via RGB). This impressive A1200 FAQ describes "the 'double' video modes of the A1200's AGA chipset" which maybe explains why at the 8-Bit tourney, Steve was able to wire his A1200 to his monitor via the composite output? I've also read elsewhere how 'unrepairable' A600s are, and were apparently described as "a complete and utter screw-up" by Commodore's MD (UK)! :lol: :lol:

I'm grateful for all the help Steve but beginning to think I should just stick with what I've got. Just had a play with the kit design and even found two colours that show up with the floodlights off! A black pitch is suddenly surprisingly cool! :)