Suggestion

Talk about on-line Kick Off

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

alkis21

Suggestion

Postby alkis21 » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:04 pm

You know how much I envy all you lucky broadband bastards that can enjoy online Kick Off! :x But just to show you I have no harm feelings against you, I have a suggestion to make.
How fast is the game at the moment? I'm pretty sure playing at full real-KO speed is impossible, right? I was thinking.. what if I made you guys a special version with as less details on the pitch as possible? Maybe it would make it run a lot faster! Like, if I remove the commercials and everything else that surrounds the pitch? It's worth a try if you guys think it would make a difference.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:32 pm

Go Alkis, Go Alkis, Go Alkis!!!!!!! Do you want money? Shit, I know a few of us willing to pay.... :wink:

Lovely idea.
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:10 pm

Not only is it a good idea Alkis but it'll look more like the ST version as well, and we all know the ST version rulez ;) ;)
NewEly - He is here sometimes...................
http://www.wayoftherodent.com
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:20 pm

:) I'b be glad to do it. I'm out out of town at the moment so it will have to wait until next week, but I'll tell you what, in the meantime why don't you download the "KOA version" I made (in the Kick Off 2 section of the forum) and try the 'OIL' pitch? Ok playing with a black background on a pitch that behaves like a wet one may not be too much fun, but I'd like you to tell me if you notice a difference in speed. Normally, due to the fact that black can be vastly compressed, the difference should be considerable. If it's not, then simply removing some details will probably not change much.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:00 pm

Does kaillera really work by copying compressed screen dumps across ?

I've not had the thing running here yet (cos I'm just a modem boy) but I kinda assumed it worked by getting an identical game running on the two machines and just sending input data across the link. If that's the case then it really doesn't matter what is on the screen. No harm in trying though !!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Steve

Postby Stainy » Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:05 pm

I think what Alkis is saying about compression is actually within the game itself.. Kaillerra thingy doesn`t compress screen dumps..
When ALkis is changing stuff in KO2. working with IFF`s when he changes something, the resulting IFF can`t be bigger.. so if he puts a lot of black in it.. it compresses down smaller than the original IFF :)
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:55 pm

Yes but the frame rate always depends on the number of details on a screen, so less details should result to bigger frame rate.. in theory. Can't two people test the Oil pitch in an online game?
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:56 am

Kaillera does no bitmap compression and the frame rate has nothing to do with the actual detail on screen, as long as the two PCs can run the game full speed themselves. The speed is determined by network data transfer only.

I'm afraid only better net access speeds will help us enjoy KO online. Meanwhile, we can do with the traditional sitting side-by-side, pushing and swearing. Ah....
he he he
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby he he he » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:45 pm

great idea alkis!
need any help?