Amsterdam KO2 Tournament, April 2nd, 2016.

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Logos

Re: Amsterdam KO2 Tournament, April 2nd, 2016.

Postby Logos » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:55 pm

albyrne5 wrote:
Freshmaker wrote:Looks like a winner Alan! Make sure to give reports to us who can't attend...

I surely shall! Will try to take some decent photos etc and do up a post all about it.

Gutted that I cannot attend this, but there is always next time! :)

Have fun Alan!
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Hope to join it next time! have fun!
albyrne5
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby albyrne5 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks guys!
albyrne5
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby albyrne5 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:09 am

Well, they came, they saw, they tried to conquer, but Mr. Dig held firm and kept the Dutch title in the hands of a Dutchman!

Despite much last-minute panicking, we managed to start reeeeasonably on time, and get it all finished by (I think?) 7pm or so. The venue worked out great, we had 17 competitors (although 1 dropped out early due to a family emergency, and a couple more had to leave before they could complete all their games), some fierce battles, and above all a lot of fun.

I think I may have slightly over-indulged in the booze, because my early-games form rather ran away from me as the day progressed, but I am going to blame it on the stress of being an organizer. Speaking of which, many many thanks to Danny D and Anne for helping out with the organization and various other folk who lumped in as and when to facilitate the smooth-running of things (Mick N especially!).

After the competition there was talk of a boat-ride, but in the end we opted for a guitar-jam and sing-a-long at mine followed by a monster poker tournament (12 players) till 4am!

And now, here is the result of the Dutch jury ...

The opening round consisted of 3 groups of 6 teams. There was a top-seed in each group (Mark P, Cornelius, Klaus L) and a second-seed in each group (Riemer P, Panni, Jaume), and then 4 non-seeded players in each group, all randomly assigned. Each group was a round-robin of the usual 10-minute games. Options (trapfix etc) were up to each player, but I think everyone just turned everything on.

The preliminary groups results:

http://imgur.com/jvn3Ajr

Then, the top 2 from each group went through to the gold group, middle 2 to silver, bottom 2 to bronze, where again there was a round robin. Then, the top 2 in each group had a final for that colour's trophy. In addition, the bottom 2 had a play-off for the Clogs of Shame!

In the bronze group, due to some absentees, there ended up being only 3 player left at the end, so 1 played 2 for the trophy and 2 played 3 for the clogs. In the gold group - all six top seeds made it through, though Knut nearly took Klaus or Panni's place, but just missed by a whisker.

The final results:

http://i.imgur.com/lxSS7my.png

The final, numeric order -

1. Mark P
2. Klaus L
3. Cornelius
4. Riemer P
5. Jaume P
6. Panni
7. Knut L
8. Gunther W
9. Ilja T
10. Danny
11. Alan B
12. Thomas
13. Dino D
14. Mick N
15. Marcel
16. Mak O
17. Niels

Danny remains officially the best Irish KO2 player, but my day will come!!! =)

I'll follow-up with a FlikR photo-essay at some point, but this is the main info for now!
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:20 am

Seriously sad i had to miss this event. Seems like you guys had a blast!
Congratulations on having your virginity as organizer plucked mate :) now bring the Amsterdamned WC 2017!
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Oliver St

Postby Oliver St » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:31 am

Well played everyone and congratulatons to Mark on winning this one.

I had no way of knowing that Cornelius and Panni would attend. Impressive performance by Cornelius. I guess he arranged himself some kind of "Koenigswinter conditions" :D .

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
r.cross

Postby r.cross » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:24 pm

Well done guys!
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:47 pm

Wow! 17 players! great! hope you have a nice group picture too! Congratulations, you have been able invoke an unleash the Poelstras power! I'm really glad to see also Knut in action again! also Niels isn't a new name, is he Niels Tijssen?If so, I saw him last time on the London International 9 years ago!
About Klaus, I guess he is Klaus "Iceman" Loite, brother of Knut and Glenn, a big gun!
Then of course I'm glad that also regular attendees joined the fan too, like Cornelius, Panni, Thomas, Gunther and others. Nice to see that also Jaume is now a regular too!
Although Amsterdam is definitely not cheap, you have been able to gather a very nice group, well done! to you and your organizing team.
Congratulation to Mark, winning the tournament and congratulation to everyone who joined the fun in Amsterdam
Cornelius
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Cornelius » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:48 pm

A big thanks to you Alan for enabling this great weekend in Amsterdam.

While both, the city of Amsterdam and a KickOff-tourney are always worth a visit, it was you and all the wonderful people I could meet, which made this weekend so very special.

The venue had a nice atmoshere with just the right amount of coziness, good food and beer and the tourney was organized with, well... I would say a great portion of enthusiasm, perfect improvisation and never ending optimism. So we had all it took for a great tourney. :wink:

But what really made this weekend so outstanding were the two nights at your place. The atmosphere of your home, your (and Anne's) hospitality and the friendliness of all the people coming together in your house. It's a long time, since I felt myself so warmly welcomed by someone I just got to know. (The last time could have been in Milano, after I missed my plane home from the wc 2012 :D ) And the party / music-session we had after the tournamnet was absoltuly splendid. But next time try to finetune your poker-skills, before you lose to two absolute noobs, but maybe you just tried to be the perfect host, what you definitly were . :lol:

@Gianni : It was Klaus Le from Austria, who played in Amsterdam. Beside that, I'm still missing the recipe for Maria's delicious minestrone. :wink:
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:42 pm

:))) Cornelius! I'll give you the minestrone recipe in Milan this Autumn! Btw thanks to make me clear the Klaus question, well done!
albyrne5
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby albyrne5 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:44 am

albyrne5
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby albyrne5 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:44 am

Did anybody end up with 2 spare joysticks afterwards perchance?

Both of mine have vanished! =(
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks for the photos! Some old faces I haven't seen in a long time. Old being the key word. :) I hope those joysticks turn up.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46