How would you rate KO2 graphics

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

How would you rate KO2 graphics compared to other Amiga games?

Bad
No votes
Mediocre
No votes
Average
25%
Good
13%
Excellent
63%

Total votes: 8
TheFoxSoft

How would you rate KO2 graphics

Postby TheFoxSoft » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:30 pm

We know KO2 is the best game ever but what about gfx? Do you think the GFX was good enough at that time?
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Re: How would you rate KO2 graphics

Postby Torchiador » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:12 pm

I do think the KO2 multi directional scrolling at 50Hz is one of the fastest things I have ever seen on Amiga.
Also Sensi was 50 Hz multi directional scrolling but due to the size of the screen shown (Sensi covered a wider area so the movement was slower) KO2 had a waaay faster scrolling.
Also the Pitch GFX, although it is using very few colours, it was very realistic. looking it now, it doesn't seem it has 26 years, it is a gfx it could be used today. check also KO2 Wembley pitch, it is amazing!
Also the players animation is very smooth and fluent although the pixelart showed by Sensi is clearly much better. with less pixels Sensible software was able to give more character to the players, even having players with different colours of skin, hairs. Neither the sequels of KO2 (FW/Goal!) reached the SS pixel art.
Although this lack, the animation of the KO2 player is so smooth and well defined that the it gives a better sensation of motion and dynamism.
GUI GFX of KO2 instead is very poor compared to other games. Look at the Sensi GUI to have a good example of art in GUI GFX. Not saying SS had also sound in GUI.
KO2 used also very few colours in the game. at least the way they were split limited the GFX experience: just only 8 colours for the pitch is a very narrow limit. if I'm not wrong, just 16 colours are shown at the same time in the game. while SS goes to 32 colours simultaneously.
So, in my opinion GFX had an unmatched smoothness but it could be better
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Fantastic insight from Gianni. I never looked at it like that. Gfx'ish, I was more focused on that the player-sprites are so "old skool", especially compared to much of other amiga-games from the same era. Not that I took much notice to the graphics really, because the game was so bloody addictive.
I think the graphics does what it's supposed to, and don't steal any focus from the playability.
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
r.cross

Postby r.cross » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:54 pm

It's average. Very useful, but average at best.

I don't think KO2 is a very accessible game, not game-play wise nor graphically, especially these days. It lacks the cuteness or relatively easy to pick up controls of e.g. Sensible Soccer, and it's tempo makes things even worse. Or of course better - if you ask the right person.

I tried to introduce the game to several people who didn't have any nostalgic feelings for it, rather unsuccessfully I have to say.
Logos

Postby Logos » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:00 pm

For me, the graphics and the coding are a perfect marriage with every pixel edge on the player and the ball having a beautiful and unique interaction that leads to infinite variables.

Regarding introducing the game to people, I believe it depends on the person's character. I've seen people dismiss the game in minutes, and then I've seen others tumble down the rabbit hole.