WC Rules Protocol Suggestion

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Robert Swift

Re: WC Rules Protocol Suggestion

Postby Robert Swift » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:22 am

There is a KOA constitution. It's just not all written down in a document. It's based on precedent. That is to say, how we have done things in the past, and the things we adopted over time.

For example, all games are 2 x 5 minutes. That's not written down in a document anywhere, people just 'know'.

Believe it or not, the constitution of the UK is largely precedent. There is no single document that contains it. There are also countries like the USA that have fully written constitutions. But it's a lot easier to set one of those up at the moment you declare independence. Trying to do it after many years is much harder.

We all live in a world of rules and laws and taxes and we have enough to worry about when we get behind the wheel of a car or while we are at work. The internet is the opposite. It's largely unregulated. Even governments are having huge problems trying to regulate it. So suggesting that a forum of unpaid amateur enthusiasts should be able to solve this mercurial problem is a little optimistic. I think we have done pretty well, still holding tournaments after 15 years, people still getting on planes to play Kick Off 2. And we have achieved this without a constitution.

All I am saying is, try to see the glass as half full, not half empty.

Anyway I feel that what Thor has suggested is very much in line with the unwritten constitution of the KOA, that is to say how things are done in the past. WC organisers have the privilege to table one or two rule changes generally in line with the requests of the community or the technological changes (Camber's good work) that have taken place. Then the participants, and only the participants, get to vote on these rules for the World Cup, as they are going to be the ones bound by it.

As for tournaments that take place outside the world cup, we have always said that, if you want to put them in the rankings database, there is one sole requirement - they need to be 2x5 minutes. Otherwise you get people playing 2x20 and entering scores of 19-17 which gives them the scoring average of Fabio or something crazy. Now, as long as these games are 2x5, they can be using soggy pitch, wind, lobs turned off, whatever, and still be 'official' - as long as all the participants agree. That said, generally people go home from a World Cup with the disc of that World Cup, and so adopt the settings. Indeed, if the World Cup is the highlight of your kick off year, and you see all other tournaments as practice, you will want to play with the World Cup settings and adapt your game. We have all of us gone through a process of adapting our game towards 'mainstream' KO2. Which, as you're seeing, pretty much follows an unadulterated 'out of the box' ethic.

Hope that all makes sense. If seems confusing, just ask.
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:30 am

seems very straight forward

I'd still be a fan of it being a written thing though, official sort of thing, called whatever, so people know, not just members now, but future members too so no one has to go through all this again and no one can accuse anyone of making stuff up as they go (although that's not a bad thing when it's being flexible to suit the good of the whole imo)
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:32 am

Robert, very well put.

If we follow the American's constitution path we will all end up demanding to bare arms!

If this was Facebook I would like your post, and probably share it.
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:32 am

Lee I am hoping to make an announcement this week that will address the request for a koa Constitution as well as
Other factors - I just hope we have people left to read it.

Regards

Mark
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:00 pm

Great post Thor!

Just a small correction here:

thor wrote:Robert and Rodolfo kept asking, what was it that started all of this debate? I believe it started because the Birmingham WC bid simply stated that they would allow the trapfix option.

The debate started as 2 controversial topics were proposed at the same time: the "Constitution" and "Keep Goalie on the pitch". Some people took extreme positions and it all went downhill from there.
World Cup 2015 Bronze Cup/Steve Screech Cup Winner

aka "The Kick Off 2 Hustler" and officially the best Portuguese Kick Off player living in Ireland.
thor
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby thor » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Thanks, Pedro.

I think we started discussing the trapfix in the Birmingham bid thread, and as a result there was a new thread about bug-fixes for WCs, which turned into the GK fix debate. As you said, somewhere in there we got a bit excited, and it went further south from there.

Anyway, the post wasn't meant to point a finger at Steve E. or Jorn. If either of you felt that way, I apologize.
Fred/Typical