Random pitch as default setting in future tournaments

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Random pitch as default setting in future tournaments

Postby Steve1977 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:07 pm

What a wonderful idea this would be and perfectly matches the current KOA likening for mixing things up - which is KOBRA heaven as far as we're concerned.

Danny's recent idea of adding wind is superb in my view and it would be very fascinating to see how it transpired in a tournament, also it would add a slight random factor and a perfect way of countering any predictable goals that are always scored. We believe the goal keepers need to be adjusted but it seems like the game already has a mechanism for making things more unpredictable - just like in real life.

Same goes for the Pitches. In real life you'll start off with hard pitches at the beginning before descending into wet, then perhaps soggy...maybe the odd plastic pitch.
In the same way light wind, auto slides and no trap fix would add a random element to perhaps help newbies or at least add a factor of the unknown - having random pitches would achieve this too.

You could arrange it so from semi finals onwards it was on normal - after all, the top games are always played on pristine pitches.

Very enlightening and encouraging that chats about new features are being discussed in a great manner! 8)
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Lee W

Re: Random pitch as default setting in future tournaments

Postby Lee W » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:15 pm

plastic pitch as i remember was insanely fast... and they are kinda obsolete now, but, i'd be up for at least testing the idea out for sure, wind and pitch could make for some right laughs and who knows, some surprises too
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Just a minor technical note. A random pitch would mean a floppy would have to be present in the amiga for each game. Also a slight delay to procedures as the pitch was loaded in.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Danny D
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Danny D » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:22 pm

For decades I played on a soggy pitch.Decades I tell you !

I second this motion (with the exception of plastic pitches)

I feel there is an appetite within the KOA for change, for bringing more fun back into the game.
"We are now on the threshold of a newer movement, with a newer hope and a new inspiration."
James Larkin
r.cross

Postby r.cross » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:55 pm

I never played using wind, but random pitches would definitely add more variety. I'll come back to that for our yearly local tourney.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:17 pm

I always played on different pitches and would happily play again using any random setting.

However, there is an argument potentially that we have an amazing archive of ranked games and every game was ranked using a similar set of conditions....I am not sure how this would affect the stats, maybe not at all but I know that things like goals scored are based on a standard set of criteria in the match (so you wouldnt play a tournament with 20x20
As the goals
Scored would skew the finely balanced analytics from the first to the lAst result)

However perhaps there is no issue aside from the length of the game and I think we have had tournaments that ranked with random setting before now so perhaps there is nothing to concern us here!

I would definately love a random tournament (and tactics and subs and stuff too) regardless of its officiality.
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!