Discussion - PAKT

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lee W

Discussion - PAKT

Postby Lee W » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:53 am

k, suggested this 4 times in the other threads but it's been blanked each time so thought i'd kick a new one off with it.

first of all rules, rules should be fluid, to adapt with the times and adapt to situations. this must have been the case in the past in the KOA or the KO2CV would be at version 1.0, not 1.8... people must have had discussions about things and amended the rules accordingly.

My suggestion, for discussion at least, would be to have the APT menu modified to fit in the keeper fix (PAKT, KAPT. APTK?). It's clear that most of the big guns in the koa like this goal and some even say need it to score vs lockout... ok. For, i'll say 'some' of the others, the lesser (yes, runts) players, don't like it and feel it's an unfair way of scoring due to the deliberate nature of pushing the keeper from the pitch to just have an empty goal to look at. Do you guys really need to score this goal against us? I'm pretty sure not. I know I've played many games against Andy and he very rarely scores it against me, probably cause he knows my feelings on it, he still has very little trouble giving a proper spanking!

So... with 'PAKT', those players who like it can play each other and score it all day long to their hearts content while the others who don't can be shielded from it's negative impact that it has on lesser players. Trust me, most new players coming to the KOA won't know about this bug, they might have seen it happen once or twice but nothing like what it really is. Once they realise it's nature, I fear they'll not return, it's bad enough being thrashed by double figure scores, but when you feel it's completely unfair, that's a different story altogether, put yourself in their shoes. I know i'm new here but it seems so far that you guys are constantly looking for new members to come n enjoy tournaments... i would just say that keeping them is equally important.

My preference on it would be that if one player selects fix and one doesn't, it goes automatically to fixed as this would inevitably favour the underdog.

No need for flaming or comparing it to lobbing, it's just a simple suggestion that, to me at least, seems to be a good compromise to give some fairness to everyone.
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
alkis21

Re: Discussion - PAKT

Postby alkis21 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:47 am

Let me start by saying that after reading the topics you mention I believe that nobody has the intention of flaming you. I know it's unpleasant when people disagree with you, but it doesn't mean that they are flaming you.

My first objection is with your premise. You have pinpointed one goal as the one single problem of the game, one that is supposedly used by strong players to unfairly thrash the weak ones. I can assure you, as someone who has played against more than 100 KOAers, that that there are many weak players who rely on that goal. As you say, strong players don't really need one particular goal to win. If you start forbidding goals, it's always the weaker ones that will be in trouble, as they get fewer chances. The strong ones will just find other ways to score.

But the most important thing is, where does this stop? I can think of at least 8 goals, off the top of my head, that are blatant bug exploitations. In your next tournament, you may play against John Hogstrom and concede seven BLCs. Will you advocate that PAKT needs to become BPAKT then? Then you will play against me, and for every goal you score I will score back with a kick off routine (not a lob, since you requested that we don't compare it to lobs). Will it be RBPAKT then? And just so you don't think I'm singling you out, replace 'you' with 'Player X'. Player X believes that one particular goal is unfair, other people have a different unfair goal in mind, if Player X gets what he wants why shouldn't Player Y get it too?

I hope you can take a moment to understand my reasoning, instead of taking my post as attacking your views.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:57 am

BountyBob used to score a goal where you trap the ball, draw the keeper out and pass into empty net. You don't get mad, you get even...so I perfected it myself :D
Same with narrow angle goal...takes great skill to perform and when I did it, I didnt care keeper goes behind the goal because it's difficult to do.

Alkis summed it up perfectly when he said something like don't get mad as me scoring a goal, get mad at yourself for not defending it.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:40 am

For that to happen as you describe it would require the backing of the vast majority of the KOA. We've already had an open discussion about it on the forum and it does not look like that is the case.
However we can have a feature exactly like this for you to enjoy for the 99% of games you play which are not in official tournaments.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Alkis, I single this one out purely because it sends a player off the pitch, all of the other goals in the game has 11 players each on the pitch (until a red ofc) then at least what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch... also, wasn't accusing anyone of flaming me, just tryin to nip any high emotions in the bud

Steve, I straight forward refuse to score this goal when i see the keeper run behind, I know how to do it, if i do it accidentally I cut back n try a different shot, because i personally see it as cheating (not calling anyone a cheat, just saying that's how i feel if i score it). I'd rather be able to score the narrow angle goal instead of cutting back, but to do that i'd need to see the keeper on the pitch (and not a painted ghost figure)

Other Steve (parent's were so unimaginative!) I know some people were against a perma fix, that's why I suggested this instead to try and think of a fair, all round solution, cause a lot were in favour too. like i say tho, just a discussion, chucking an idea out there.
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:19 pm

I would repeat what Alkis said. Although in a deeper and more manly voice.
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:56 pm

very interesting that not many people even want to discuss the choice
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:09 pm

I'm afraid this topic gets lost between all the other topics filing the forums at the moment mate.

My 2 cents; I want as few options to choose between when starting a match as possible. Like the last world cup, where Trapfix was not really a part of the settings, it shouldn't be something you choose before you can start the match. It should be in the menus, but not as an absolute choice you have to make.
So I'd like to see choises between pbd on/off.
Because the Autofix is set. The Trapfix is agreed off. Therfore you should have to enter the menu to set it up, both Trapfix and Keeperfix.
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!