The 2014 World Cup - The Stories

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Freshmaker

The 2014 World Cup - The Stories

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:12 am

Part 1 -
First of all, let me once again express my thanks to all of you who came to Copenhagen this weekend. It meant a lot to me to be able to host a World Cup, celebrating 10 years from my first World Cup.

My World Cup weekend started thursday, when John H came to Copenhagen, with his family. They stayed with us till friday, and it was really great to get to catch up with them, after the years John's not been playing in tournaments.

Friday started with me getting access to the game-room, starting to fill it with gear. Off course, after I'd carried 4 tv screens, one amiga and my bass-amplifier into the game-room (quite a distance from the parking-lot), a guy working there told me I could just drive my car in to the parking-garage, and I'd just have to carry the stuff 15 meters, rather than 250... Doh...
A bit later I got the message saying my son Alkis had arrived, and I went to pick him up. Doing so I also got to meet and greet Mark and Steve. Perfect! Alkis was dead-tired, so naturally I decided to bring him with me the entire day, not giving him any time to rest. ;)
We then drove to the game-room to meet Jacob, who'd drove early from Sweden, and start preperations. A bit later Chris and Thor turned up, and by now I had the full World Cup-feeling. Great!!! I love it!

We kept on moving tables around, trying to find the best ways to have the tournament-room, and pretty soon we had it settled.

Later, we went by train to the Hotel to meet up with all the others, and the feeling of seeing all these known and loved faces is something I deeply cherish. That first beer, while everyone turns up... It's something impossible to describe, you'll just have to experience it.

Then, leaving from the hotel, it quickly became clear we'd not reach downtown in the pace I'd thought, so I had to call my wife and tell her, so she was waiting with John and his family at the Central station.

Immediately after we arrived at the restaurant, I had to leave, so I could meet Vilde, who was arriving at the Central Station. A great feeling.
The Dinner and Draw turned out well. I love the mexican food, I love the Negra Modelo beer, and I love that restaurant. I just hope you enjoyed the retro-style draw :)
After dinner, it was time for me and my wife to take our two kids (Alkis and Vilde) home and get settled for the night, and do the final, mental preperations for The 2014 Kick Off 2 World Cup.

To be continued.
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Freshmaker

Re: The 2014 World Cup - The Stories

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:15 am

Part 2:
A strange ting, showing up for the World Cup Saturday without a hangover. AND being the organizer... Alkis, Vilde and I got to the gameroom and continued preparing everything. Other people started coming in during the first few hours, and when eventually Ektoras arrived we where all there. However, this organisation is highly professional, so I guess we first started any official mathces around 2 pm.

Day 1 was the day where I would secure my place in the Silver Cup, but as Mark totally screwed me, I eventually ended up going through to the World Cup. Dammit...
The strange thing happening this year, was that I won the matches I was supposed to win, meaning I didn't fuck up myself. I lost easly to Mario, Gianni, Andy and John, managed to put up a fight versus Sandro (2-4), Christopher (2-3) and Gianluca (1-2) and drew Mark. I even had Gianni at 3-3, but then he remembered to plug in his joystick... I was very pleased to beat Michele, who I've always had big difficulties with before. A great pleasure to play/chat with Wolf, Peter and Helmut as well.

Having my wife and two younges kids showing up for a while also made the day special to me, and Jesper was really disappointed with me, when he was trying to cheer me on vs Gianni. ;) Anyway, when he came home he told his mum he wanted to play footy-game on the Gamecube, but since DB can't figure out the Gamecube they agreed he could just wear footy-gear. So he did. And he slept in it...

However, the best part must've been having Alkis, my new son, coming to me telling me he wanted to go out tonight...
It went down somehting like this:

Alkis: We need to go out tonight.
Me: We don't need to, but you're free to go.
Alkis: What? This is the World Cup? You must go out!!
Me: Yes, this is the World Cup. No, I must not. But you are welcome to.
Alkis: Why not? You always go out.
Me: Yes. But I'm organizing, and I sleep at home, I've got wife and kids, Jesper sleeps in our room, I'll get the 7 o'clock wake up from the kids no matter what. Besides, I've got Vilde here, and need to take her home.
Alkis: But, but, but, but
Me: You go out, I'll pick you up at the trainstaion when you get home.
Alkis: Oh, thank you.
Me: But DON'T you be late!!!

Got to pick up Alkis at the trainstation at midnight, then do the sleeeep..

Tbc.
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:24 am

Freshmaker wrote:However, the best part must've been having Alkis, my new son, coming to me telling me he wanted to go out tonight...
It went down somehting like this:

Alkis: We need to go out tonight.
Me: We don't need to, but you're free to go.
Alkis: What? This is the World Cup? You must go out!!
Me: Yes, this is the World Cup. No, I must not. But you are welcome to.
Alkis: Why not? You always go out.
Me: Yes. But I'm organizing, and I sleep at home, I've got wife and kids, Jesper sleeps in our room, I'll get the 7 o'clock wake up from the kids no matter what. Besides, I've got Vilde here, and need to take her home.
Alkis: But, but, but, but
Me: You go out, I'll pick you up at the trainstaion when you get home.
Alkis: Oh, thank you.
Me: But DON'T you be late!!!

Got to pick up Alkis at the trainstation at midnight, then do the sleeeep..

Tbc.

bloody kids eh mate ;)
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:31 am

They grow up so fast...
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:55 am

well they certainly get older...not sure about UP!
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:09 am

:lol: :lol:
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Good reading Jörn, appreciated you take the time. Looking forward to the rest. Will try to manage one myself after the weekend. Stunned that one week already passed since the Firday-dinner :?o:
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Well my World Cup started quite well, as for once I was flying from my Local Airport (Local being 25 mins drive!) rather than 3.5 hours down to London first.

Met up with Steve at the Airport at some silly time, but that meant the WC had started.

Our flight landed and we decided to get a burger in Copenhagen and then spent the whole time waiting for Alkis (about 90 mins) gawping at all the beautiful Scandinavian women (Although I swear the French girl was mine, I saw her first!!!)

Alkis finally showed up and myself and Steve played a game with him for about 20 mins by sending him texts telling him we could see him, the poor guy just stood there trying to find us whilst receiving messages like 'no stop smiling, we are up a bit'....

Was lots of fun for me and Steve, not so much for Alkis :)

We got our train tickets, great directions from Jorn and went down to the track, super simple.

We got on the train which arrived just as we got to the platform (which is basically how it should be done - David Cameron your country is shit, please take note!)

So we sat down on a very comfy train, and I couldn't wait to ask Alkis how his family was doing - it had been a year.

Sadly the woman who had thrown me and Jorn out of the Pizza house in Milan 2 years earlier had followed me to Denmark and had hidden on the train....She stood up and pointed to me, then at some stupid sign with a mobile phone on it, and then started to TUNE Me!

'Im sorry I don't follow?'

'YOU MUST NOT TALK ON THIS TRAIN'...was her reply...

'But you are talking?' I thought but didn't actually say.

I was confused, eventually we realised we were in the silent carriage....well yes perhaps just a mention of this would have been enough!

Anyway I was scared, I didn't talk for 30 mins, instead myself Alkis and Steve just passed messages on our phones trying not to giggle as the girl shouted at some Chinese couple in the carriage taking the heat off me!

Welcome do Denmark - Mark.....please do not talk!

Even when we got off the train we just looked at each other not certain whether you could talk anywhere in Denmark at this point, we decided we would try talking really quiet and no one seemed to mind...except everyone else was kissing WTF? Is this Paris? No its the land of vikings, stop kissing fffs!!!

So anyhow we got to the Hotel and checked in no worries, looked really nice but it was the longest hotel in the world. I think the corridor started in Denmark and stopped in Sweden. There were 'break areas' every few hundred feet to give people a rest when they were walking to their room. I think I spotted a passport control bunker in the distance!

Room was lovely though, even tho I flooded mine!

Got to meet Jorn quickly, never seen him so stressed - he took the Package from us (Alkis) and bundled him in the boot so no one could see...then drove off killing 3 cyclists in the process.

Steve and I then took a romantic stroll, saw a mermaid, and some woman on a chariot in a fountain, and a nice church, and a battleship and some British batallion inside a secret hill...best of all we saw a windmill, and as we are the KOA we decided to explore!

We went up and up into a very creaky windmill that David Cameron wouldn't allow in the UK coz he is a twat. Basically we broke most of it and nearly fell off the top floor, but it was fun...yes David we are adults we can have fun without you holding our hands whilst fleecing us for every penny we have!!!

It was getting Dark, we went back to the hotel and looked around the shops and then got ready for meeting the others for the meal.

The meal was excellent, a great choice, met Jorn's lovely family and the rest of our own family of course :)

His wife is amazing and funny, he has done well even tho I know he actually prefers men really!

So after the meal a few of the Norweigans and Germans wanted to PARTY. We spend an hour walking around and couldn't find a good bar where we could drink and fight like men. I realised the next night its because all the good bars are the OTHER side of the Train Station. I believe Jorn had tried to tell us this, I believe we had ignored his advice...

Anyway we eventually found what seemed to be a good old fashioned bar.....me and chris refused to go in, the Germans seemed not to bother - it was called the SPUNK BAR ffs!! no fricking way was I going in there!!!

eventually we found a place with some music, but it was smoky and it hurt my eyes as I am only just getting used to contacts, it was past midnight so I decided to go home and leave the hardcore to the smoky bar.

Next morning we had danish pastries for breakfast...I had about 32! they were nice, the coffee wasn't!

Got to the KOA room and we were greeted by that noise! Bon Bon Bon Phweeeeeep...penawtly! The world Cup was on!

Met a few more of the KOA who hadn't made it there the night before.

Day 1 can be rounded up as follows : I played some kickoff, met the lovely Vilde, drank some shit beer, got kicked out of the Gold Cup, drank another beer, watched Liverpool play shit, sulked, had pizza with Steve, went to bed, bumped my head...and didn't get up in the morning.

Sunday was kinda like : Got up late, set my alarm for Saturday - or that's the reason I am sticking with...got to tournament room, beat a few people 9 times out of 9, had beer, had Italian Home made pasta sauce, had some fucking awful Californian Steam Beer followed by Beer made from Xmas trees WTF?, got beat by the great Ektoras, watched some KO2 games that were quite ok from memory...cleaned up after some messy Italians and Gremans....went home, sulked.

I realised this year that the World Cup isn't about just having a party, or about meeting people, and certainly isn't about KO2.

Its about a balanced mix of all those things, its about a special few days where people get together, people who have become true friends over the years, or people who will become real friends over the next few years...
This time the party wasn't so rowdy as Austria (which was pretty hardcore with Andy and Jorn and the Gremans!) don't think we got in once before 5am, even on the Sunday!
This was more relaxed, I loved it - it was my fave world cup but that's because the people there were absolutely fucking awesome, every single person who attended was a fking legend in my eyes and I realised that the KOA is about the People who make the effort, both new and Old.....yes a few of my favourite people were missing but they will just make it even better next time I am sure!

51 weeks to go to the next one people!

Thanks Jorn, said it before but its worth repeating - you hosted an Epic WC, it went perfectly but it was setup with the true will of a viking who would not let it get the better of him!
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:46 pm

Brilliant mate. Loved that pasta! Allesandro's mine ffs!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
MicheleL
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby MicheleL » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:16 pm

Jorn, did not think to take taste defeat me ahahahahah.
The pasta Alexander was outstanding.
I would love to organize my beautiful city in the world (Siena), and I'd love to let you all see but unfortunately I have no chance.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Michele; if I could do it, so could you :)
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:54 pm

brilliant reading!
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

The Chronicle of Holy Shield #4

Postby Torchiador » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:55 pm

My world cup started Friday early morning with the alarm at 4:30, together with Mary, Sandro and Alessandro. Once we arrived at the airport we joined Mario and Fabio bros and the Milan crew was complete.
Once in Copenhagen it was love at the first sight. The CPH airport was nice, almost as the Cologne’s airport.
I knew that at the Hotel we would have slept, was near the rails of the trains, but I didn't expect so close! Basically it was like the Blues Brothers hotel! At least the position, but the hotel was VERY nice and I enjoyed every moment there, the room was very quite and I slept very well all the nights. I loved in particular the hall, it was cosy.
The “FIRST KOA FACE OF 2014 WORLD CUP AWARD” goes to Oliver, who entered in the hall few minutes later of us.
In the morning and afternoon we visited the city all together. In middle afternoon we split in two because Mario, Fabio and Sandro preferred to rest a bit in hotel, while Mary, Alessandro and I had legs enough to visit the downtown.
At 19.30 there was the rendezvous in the hall and there, finally I met all my KOA friends.
It is always a special moment. I love you guys, do you know it?
Nice and good dinner in a lovely Mexican restaurant. After the meal we had the retro style draw there. The local fauna was quite interesting in the neighborhoods!
Saturday morning, after a huge breakfast we went to the tournament venue.
For me it was the 11th world cup. It was the first time that in a world cup venue I saw a kitchen!
After many and many crap kitchen tournaments I host in kick off house, finally we had the kitchen world cup! Fantastic!
The place was very nice although there wasn't the usual darkness. To avoid the sunshine we decided to start the world cup after the sunset. The idea worked well. Being honest, I judge positively the fact the room wasn't so dark, usually the big contrast between TVs and room make eyes very tired. I don’t remember anyone complaining about the light.

Both groups A and B were very strong but I had the sensation that group A was quite harder although I think we did a good job with the seeding, anyway we couldn't overseed Christopher and, in a couple of players we made in the seeding, there is always one that is better than the other. My sensation has been confirmed in the final standing: 6 players of the Group A reached the top 8 positions, in group B just only 2 players reached the top 8.
No matter how far, I played and won all my 12 matches on day one. In this moment I can say I’m at my best. I never played so hard, so fast and precise. I was quite practiced and very confident in myself, my hands and my joystick. Anyway I know in Kick off everything can happen so, although I felt myself very strong, I didn't undertake any games and any opponent and I played as hard as I could against every player.
In think I played my best kick off against the bigs, in particular against Andy and Mario breaking their defenses and allowing them to see my goal rarely. Tense game with Gianluca, no matter he is out of practice, he is a 3 times world champion and in the same situation of low practice he reached the world cup final, two years ago, I know he was very dangerous. In our last match in Milan he won. This time I prevailed 5-2 in a very good and nice match.
In the last month I knew Christopher played much online with Dagh and Andy so I knew he was practiced and improved since his last tournament in England. In our game we had a nice fight in the first half but in the second I had the extra gear. Anyway that was the only defeat for Christopher who reached an outstanding second place in the group, ahead to class players like Gianluca, Andy and Mario. Amazing performance there!.
In the years, one of my tough opponent has been always John. It isn't a matter of lockout. Simply he has a great approach in our games and his way to defend is very effective against me. And on the attacking side, although he isn't a player who scores a load of goals, his BLCs and lobs can be devastating in matches where he finds a streak. He is a very solid player.
At the and of day one I was surprised to see out of the world cup Mark and Ektoras. To be said Ektoras didn’t sleep at all the day before. And that paid a lot in his performance.
Amazing performance of the new player Thor, that hammered most of his opponents in group B.
After the day one was over, I spent the evening in Tivoli with all the Italians + Alkis who joined us in our tour. Luckily he has a good comprehension of Italian language, seen that most of the dialogs and insults were made naturally speaking…
On the train, reaching the central station, Alkis and I realised that we are getting old: instead to talk about the games we played on Saturday and what opponent we had to face on day two, we were talking about our sons!

Day two started wit a very fun match: the ten titles match, I have to say that it was a very fun mod of the game and I would love to see some implementation on it!
Groups were bloody hard: 7 hard opponent, Gianluca, John and Sandro again, plus Fabio, Thor, Jacob and Steve.
Probably Thor didn't play his best kick off with me, on the other side I played a not so bad kick off there.
In the group stage happened something that I will never forget, something that it a must for generations to come: World Cup Pasta! Chef Alessandro went in the world cup kitchen and cooked 1,5 Kg of Pasta!!!
I have to say he can do it MUCH better but considering the situation, it was top! Now the crap kitchen tournament gets the next level!!! Again, again and again!
I had a very difficult match against Fabio, firstly because I didn't stop a single kick off lob. And secondly because I stroke to many posts (4) and 2 minutes to go, I had Barber sent of at his first foul (Screech). In the end I was even leading 9-8 but he scored the 9-9 on the final whistle.
We are used to say that in Kick off Fabio isn't just lucky. He is the lucky one.
Anyway I know that with me he drew the joker there, and there weren't other jokers in the pack.
On Sunday afternoon the KOA had a very nice Close Encounters of the Third Kind with a Sensible Soccer Delegation. For a coincidence the Sensible Soccer community was holding a SS tournament in Copenhagen too! we had fun moments with them, nice fellows! Of course, before they went away they had to swear that Kick Off is better than Sensible Soccer.
Once the groups were closed I realized that Mario was sadly out. And Above all, that Fabio in my group was second: that could mean a possible Kick Off House World Cup Final. A dream that we are following since 2006 when we missed it due to my elimination in the semi final with Spyros while Mario reached the final.
Spyros again broke the dream the following year in Rome. we could even have a Kick Off House World Cup final between 2 brothers: Sandro and I.
Spyros again eliminated Fabio in semi final in Voitsber 2009 while I reached the final.
Well, I completely agree the decision of Spyros to abandon the international scene and dedicate his spare time to ride bicycle now. Well done man, continue on that way. I’m all with you.
For the fist time ever a final position in a group has been assigned with an extra match between Andy and Christopher.
That worried me a bit: last year in Voitsberg, Andy and Chris had the last match in their group that was deciding the 1st and 2nd position. That match decided the players that had to face me in the quarter finals and that was Andy. In that quarter finals I have been eliminated by Andy then.
This year again I faced Andy in the quarter final. Historical recurrences.
Andy played better than day one but that wasn't enough this time. I played with solidity in defense and I found some good goals in first leg. In the second I played even harder taking a good lead that gave me the big screen.
In the other quarters Dagh demolished John giving him 19 goals in 2 matches.
Fabietto losing the first leg with Christopher (3-5) and down in the second leg seemed out of the games, but he made a great come back and at the very last second he scored the goal that even avoided him the extra time!
Perhaps it isn’t just a matter of luck then… it is a matter of big luck!
The other unexpected result went from the last quarter: Alkis – Gianluca a quarter final with 5 gold medals under their belts.
After the 2-2 draw of the first leg Alkis had a great match in the second leg and he recorded his first victory against Gianluca. Incredible, Alkis wasn’t disqualified by an Italian! Well he was waiting for his right Italian, maybe…
The silver cup was nice. I was supporting Our Durban and he was in game for some time, but Ektoras’ attack was too strong for him.
About the big screen with Alkis, we played the first 3 minutes studying each other like we never faced before. Then I ate in Alkis’ dish hitting him with a diagonal lob. I opened a goal streak but Alkis broke it too late, thanks to that lead, I made more than a step in my 7th World Cup Final.
In our second leg I administrate the lead gained in the first leg and I focused much on the defense. At the end of the match Alkis scored just two gaols. My 424 defence was working very well.
About the other semi final between Dagh and Fabio, I think it has been said everything already.
So finally we had our first Kick Off House World Cup Final.
The kick off lob was the only threat between me and the Holy Shield, but this time defense worked very well conceding just one (own) kick off lob and it was the only goal he scored in the first leg.
In the second leg Fabio scored twice reducing the gap to 5 goals, then I started again to play and I took again the lead.
And so 4 Holy Shields!!! Jawohl! My first gold medal as father!
After two grey world cups where I ended 3rd and 5th, I finally reached the top again and doing it with a flawless performance. In a world cup with Dagh and Gianluca together, it was very difficult to get the top scorer and best defense awards. But as said, this year I was very well prepared and I think I played my best kick off ever. I got even the two sought-after awards, completing my first triplete. I’m proud of it, above all because I reached this in a world cup that is defined as the hardest world cup ever.
After the final presentation I remember I left the world cup venue around 23.30! luckily in Copenhagen there are trains at every hour of the day and the night!
On Monday we had the whole day to visit the city as the flight was at 19.30. Weather wasn't as good as Sunday but at least it wasn't raining and for us was more than enough.
During the day you had to hear Mario moaning about himself for poor performance. We were crying listen to him!
Another Christmas has gone, and it did it so fast!
Thanks to everyone who joined the World Cup, you are my kick off family. Every year, some of us can’t make the gathering, some other come back, like Jacob, John, and Gunther, the family even grows up: Thor, Torgny, Christopher and T.J. worth KOA faces! I miss you all!
Hope to see you all soon!