KO2 on an A600 with CF/SD?

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

LostP
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

KO2 on an A600 with CF/SD?

Postby LostP » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:18 am

First post! Long time lurker though :)

I'm finally getting round to building a proper retro Amiga machine with game loading from a CF/SD card, so that i'm not stuffed if the floppies fail, and of course Kick Off 2 is the main game for it. When I play with friends, we have always stuck with the v1.4 Oracle as our favourite version :8o: .

I've been thinking to go with an A600 for the compact size, but as I never owned one am unsure I will get the same experience as with an A500/+. Main problem I can see is no keypad for player 2 formations. So my questions are

1) If I make use of the Competition Version (with the alternate formation keys), it seems to be based on v1.4. Does this mean that with the right option settings I can play exactly the same version as Oracle, bugs and all?

2) Am I right in thinking that the only way to play floppy-less KO2 is with WHDLoad? If so, does it support COmpetition Version updates?

3) Any other A600 differences to consider?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Re: KO2 on an A600 with CF/SD?

Postby Steve Camber » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi and welcome!

"v1.4 Oracle" - now that's a mystery. The oracle version we are all familiar with was based on something before 1.2. If yours is an oracle crack of 1.4, then please share :)

1) If I make use of the Competition Version (with the alternate formation keys), it seems to be based on v1.4. Does this mean that with the right option settings I can play exactly the same version as Oracle, bugs and all?

Why aren't you already using the competition version?! Just use that and enable PBD and you will be in very familiar territory. I expect many bugs can be reintroduced if you wish via the option menu, but some gems like the crash when the ball hits the corner flag, or the corner being taken from the wrong end of the pitch have no option. You'll just have to simulate those yourself mid game if you want, by rebooting the amiga at the appropriate time :)

2) Am I right in thinking that the only way to play floppy-less KO2 is with WHDLoad? If so, does it support COmpetition Version updates?

No idea, I never use it. I do know however that WHDLoad is compatible with current and future KO2CV releases.

3) Any other A600 differences to consider?

As far as I know it's an A500 with no keypad, a handy extra video output and more accessible joystick ports. Just hold down a shift key when selecting a tactic for Team B.

Enjoy!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:00 pm

LostP wrote:2) Am I right in thinking that the only way to play floppy-less KO2 is with WHDLoad? If so, does it support COmpetition Version updates?

Yes, you are right and yes, the current WHDLoad patch automatically supports each Competition Version update. All you need to do is rename the ADF to 'Disk.1' and replace the file.

I strongly suggest choosing an Amiga 1200, though. You'll be able to run many more games. I hear that it's possible to run WHDLoad in an A600 with enough RAM, but I also hear that many guys have problems with several titles with that configuration. I have a standard A1200/68020 with 10MB RAM, and I am able to run 99% of Amiga games.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:59 am

why 99% of the games? what are those 1% games you cannot run with such configuration?
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:18 am

The ones that require a faster processor. OK I suppose they do run, but very slowly. :)

Plus, there are always some very rare occasions where a game will refuse to run on a machine for no apparent reason... there are 5-6 cases (out of thousands) I think which simply don't run on my Amiga, and I can only play them on WinUAE.

Maybe 1% was too high.. let's say 0.02%!
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:44 am

alkis21 wrote:The ones that require a faster processor. OK I suppose they do run, but very slowly. :)

Plus, there are always some very rare occasions where a game will refuse to run on a machine for no apparent reason... there are 5-6 cases (out of thousands) I think which simply don't run on my Amiga, and I can only play them on WinUAE.

Maybe 1% was too high.. let's say 0.02%!

ok, now the percentage sounds more reasonable! :)
LostP
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby LostP » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Yeah, I'm tempted by the extra horse power of the A1200 (I have one in the loft somewhere) but the more portable size of the A600 is tempting...

The other thing I'm thinking of when we talk about differences with the Oracle (you are doubtless right about it not being 1.4) and CV are that we use the international teams, and I remember on the 1MB version (1.6?) that some of the teams felt a bit different - for example Spain seems more supercharged. But I know that most people here do Team A/B so I suppose we'll just have to try it and see :)
Danny D
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Danny D » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:39 am

alkis21 wrote:
LostP wrote:2) Am I right in thinking that the only way to play floppy-less KO2 is with WHDLoad? If so, does it support COmpetition Version updates?

Yes, you are right and yes, the current WHDLoad patch automatically supports each Competition Version update. All you need to do is rename the ADF to 'Disk.1' and replace the file.

Just wanted to seek confirmation that the current ko2 competition versions still supports whdload ?
"We are now on the threshold of a newer movement, with a newer hope and a new inspiration."
James Larkin
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:22 am

As far as I know WHDLoad will still work with KO2CV. (I never use it though)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net