The WC Silver & Bronze Cup suggestions topic

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:34 am

I would like to start this topic for world cup players who generally compete in the Silver & Bronze Cup of the competition. My concern is that we have very little feedback from them, and it would be nice to hear if they are satisfied with the current format or if they believe that some changes are required. Others are welcome to join the discussion if they want, but I would prefer to hear from the actual participants.

Please contact all your bronze & silver friends who do not frequent the forum, and ask them to join this discussion. This is their chance speak their minds. If you do not approve of something and do not speak up now, you basically forfeit the right to complain during the world cup weekend.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Freshmaker

Sv: The WC Silver & Bronze Cup suggestions topic

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:45 am

Mark Bishop would know, he usually wins the silver...
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Re: The WC Silver & Bronze Cup suggestions topic

Postby Steve Camber » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 am

Hey, I've got my eye on that trophy this year :) Make it a good one!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
r.cross

Postby r.cross » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Steve Camber wrote:Hey, I've got my eye on that trophy this year :) Make it a good one!

You're not the only one, I'd like to win this too! All I have to do is to avoid accidential qualification for the GC and then beat Rodolfo when it matters 8)
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Mental note to self: Gotta get more than just the final. Gotta win...
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 pm

firstly, how can you say you don't hear from Silver players :lol: :lol:

Secondly, what changes would you reccommend?

I think Silver/Bronze players are there primarily for fun and a love of KO2 and the weekends.

the more hardcore players are the more likely to want to change.

My personal belief is that there are a lot of good players in the Silver groups each year, people like Jorn and Rodolfo for example can beat some Gold Cup players maybe 2 out of 5 which doesn't make them bad.

I think the Silver groups are GOOD, but perhaps just a little more organising in terms of rules for games and how you go about playing your games in order.

I think potentially we could merge the Silver and Bronze groups to make it a bigger competition with maybe 1/2/3 trophies but this takes something away from bronze players (myself being one of course) who suddenly have nothing to realisitically play for on day 2.

My own believe was that, having experienced both Silver and Bronze, they work quite well in the current format.

In Austria it felt like a bit of a 'friendly' competition, as if we were keeping our own scores...this wasn't the organisers fault, just the way I think we all 'felt' about being in the bronze cup. Having a beer with the game was part and parcel.

In Milan last year it seemed a lot more organised, but still seemed that we were second fiddle to the Gold games (people jumping in front of us at a machine because they needed to finish their games) which I understand but still makes you feel a bit second class ;)

Would be interested to know if you have any particular ideas you want raised mate, do you mean the format, the organisation?

I plan on being Gold this year incidently, but will expect Bronze of course ;)
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:31 pm

Let me make it clear that I am not suggesting that there is anything that is wrong or needs changing with the two cups. If most people are happy with them, then that's fine by me. I only started the topic because I think that most of the discussions in all the years involved the WC format, which is unfair considering that the players who compete in it are the minority.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Thank you Alkis for raising this topic. I am very interested in the Silver Cup and I see things that I would like to change.

Rodolfo, after WC 2011 wrote:Quarter Finals: Do we really need QF in the Silver Cup? (Of course, I am protesting just because I lost there!) If it is about adding emotion and unexpected results, we could have a pure cup competition as well. But after a long group league, perhaps having to play QF it is too much punishment for someone who had a great performance and finished first in his group with no defeats, and also too much reward for someone who finished 4th in the other group. I will campaign against this in the future.

Rodolfo, after WC 2012 wrote:Quarter Finals – I said it last year after finishing first in my Silver Cup group; I say it again after finishing fourth in my Silver Cup group: there must not be quarter finals after the Silver Cup groups. It is too much punishment for a good player, and it is too much reward for a bad player.

I put very clear what I did not like for two editions in a row. Since I have been in both positions, 1st and 4th, I expect to gain some additional trust in what I say. To achieve the fourth position in a SC group you usually only have to win 3/7 matches, which means that your are a bad player, or you are having a terrible day, or both. In any case thank you for coming, but you must not occupy time and computers very valuable in sunday and most important of all, you deserve not to be awarded with the chance of going on in the competition at the expense of a better player who may see his day ruined for a bad moment after 6/7 victories in the group. I feel that this is too unfair, and should be corrected.

I would not feel bad to go to a strictly cup system, but I believe that the actual one is a lousy formats combination. Adding matches for the sake of it (an evil that affects the whole WC) does not provide nothing but exhaustion and unfair risks. In the usual SC we have 16 players, two groups of 8. With that, having 1st and 2nd of each group to play SF and final is more than enough. Only those who perform consistently must go on in the competition.

And yes, SC is second class. We have to accept this. And that is another reason not to increase unnecesarily the number of games. Please let us have a small and simple but serious competiton.

Besides this, I believe that only the SC champion should get a trophy, and perhaps a medal for the runner up. We can skip the rest. If not, we are giving in, more and more, towards that special olympics spirit that infected the whole WC years ago. Medals for everyone, applause for everyone, 15 different trophies... we are bastardizing these deferences for the very few who really deserve them. Sometimes my nieces see my WC medals and ask me "uncle Rodolfo, you were the champion?" and I have to give them the not very educational answer "no silly, you get this just for showing up!". A nice coffee mug as in 2009 would be enough.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:00 pm

What Rodolfo said ffs. End of discussion.
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Why about two legged final to replace quarters?

Personally im old school and believe all finals should be 1 leg, but just putting it out there
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:14 pm

For a dark moment i remember finishing 4th in the group....

Luckily i was obviously drunk and finished second so my clAim to the cup remains intact hahah
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:36 pm

ridicoulusness that we played 2 legs in qf and sf, while final was 1...
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 pm

This is the truth!