newbie - totally newbie

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

aranel
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

newbie - totally newbie

Postby aranel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 am

Hello All KO community!
I found you by an accident on youtube - some videos from last World Cup. I must say it looks really impresive.
Anyway im a big enthusiast of retro gaiming, Amiga computers and arcade gaiming (and so on). I never actually played in KO. I tried it once or twice and i just couldnt understand "the mechanism" of game. Altough im a big fun of Sensible Soccer and a member of SWOS community. We also have international tournaments, World Cups with many players from all of the Europe. We play on real Amiga Computers, with a fancy joysticks etc.
Anyway i watched some videos on yeutube, some recorded games also and i must say that thise game really have that something special. I would like to join next World Cup but first i need some advice about game itself.
First of all - what are the World Cup rules - i mean the in game options, what teams can be picked (is there any difrences between teams in game, what are skill of each players).
What is all about diffrent versions of game? Wich is that right one (if there is)?
I found some tips how to control a ball in game, so i will try to figure my style.

Thanks for any help!
Regards!
Marek Januszewski
aranel
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Re: newbie - totally newbie

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:20 am

Welcome! It would be great if you could make the next world cup. There is plenty of time to practice the game :)
As for settings and version, you can go wrong by downloading ko2cv and jumping right in.
There is plenty of info here on this site, so keep reading :)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
aranel
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby aranel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Steve Camber wrote: you can go wrong by downloading ko2cv and jumping right in.

you mean i can or i can't ?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:51 pm

--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
aranel
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby aranel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Right, thank You Steve. ;D
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 am

To expand on this briefly: The KOA WC is played with Team A vs Team B. In fact, both have exactly the same players with the same skillsets. However, we discovered that Team A has a built-in home advantage which used to mean always having to play two legs to balance this out. But thanks to Master Camber's programming skills, the advantage has been eliminated.

The other main problem we had is that the famous cracked version by Oracle has a difference in ball control to the released version, which we have dubbed "penalty box dribble" (PBD) - search the forum to understand what we are talking about. Years back whoever was Team A was allowed to choose which version to play, suiting him and possibly disadvantaging the other player. Steve managed to combine both in the KO2CV (Competition Version), each player can toggle PBD on or off as he prefers. The difference only applies to dribbling in the opponent's penalty box. So choose whichever you prefer, I believe No-PBD is better for beginners because it means the dribbling is the same all over the pitch.

Well, if you only know Sensi and have never player KO2 - good luck. It's a hard game. Like in real football moving the ball around and even creating scoring chances is not so difficult, but scoring goals is. Unless you know tricks of the trade, the weaknesses of the keeper, etc. Dagh (dnielsen) made an excellent goal scoring tutorial video:

http://www.ko-gathering.com/forum/viewt ... =5&t=15546

And you'll find many more videos and much more info on this site.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
r.cross

Postby r.cross » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 am

aranel wrote:I would like to join next World Cup

Sounds great, you're very welcome. And bring some friends too! :wink:
aranel
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby aranel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Tripo - thanks for an explanation. I was reading the forum a while and i noticed that there was some discussions about game versions. Thats why i asked, now i know exactly what to look for. I expected some things like that, on Sensi scene we had (have) analogical issues (for excample, there are 2 main versions of game, fisrt developed originally for Amiga, and second for PC - there is big diffrence in gamplay, so all tournaments are played on both platforms seperetly).
As i wrote first time i saw on youtube some reward ceremonny, them some matches. I found that KO is very tactical game, it's like batle of minds, game allows to play in so many diffrent styles. I just said to myself "wow, it is really cool, i want to know how to play that shit" :D
Could you please write me one more - what is lengh of match during the tournaments 3 or 5 min?
And yes, You are right that KO is very hard to play. Uncomparable to any other football game i know. So i rather expect to be the worst player of all time but it's not the point. The point is to keep this retro climate alive nad have fun. And i know that there is few thigs as cool as some offline international tournaments. Thise year the 10th Sensi Days (SWOS World CUP) will take a part in Berlin (august), very speciall tournament. Then the KO World Cup, i hope i'll join both. :) Thank you for worm invitation by the way ;)

Sorry for a bit chaotic post wrote with not to good English.

thx again!
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Matches are 2X5 mins :)
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!