Reasons we Love Ko2

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reasons we Love Ko2

Postby durban » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:56 am

I'm in a feel good/spread the love mood today.

Lets have a topic listing reasons we love KO2, lets keep this to the gameplay - there will be another topic about the KOA :)

* I love the way the ball moves, I think DD came up with the perfect feel with Aftertouch, I don't think any other game comes close with mirroring how I would like to play a pass with A/T.

* I love the sound the ball makes against the crossbar (especially when it then goes INTO my opponents Goal)

* I love the way the game has avenues you can go down, but there are always many roads yet undiscovered...
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
alkis21

Re: Reasons we Love Ko2

Postby alkis21 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:06 am

I definitely agree about the ball flow. It was so revolutionary and perfectly engineered that we had to wait for several years and many more dozens of MHz in processor power to see anything remotely like it again. People talk about Sensible Soccer and sure, it's a fun game, but they tend to forget that its football feels, acts and even sounds like a golf ball. The ball in Kick Off *IS* a football.

I also love the INFINITE feel about it. I still witness goals in Kick Off 2 that are either first timers or extremely rare. How much time does it take to see every single goal there is in every other football game in the past 30 years? 2 months? Surely that's stretching it. It's been 22 years and we're still counting.

Above everything else, the first time I laid eyes on Kick Off I instantly knew that I had finally found the hole on the great gameboard of life which had been drilled to accept my own oddly shaped peg.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:51 am

alkis21 wrote:Above everything else, the first time I laid eyes on Kick Off I instantly knew that I had finally found the hole on the great gameboard of life which had been drilled to accept my own oddly shaped peg.

Alkis, there are other forums for this sort of filth, KOA is not the time nor the place ;)

Agree with your sensible soccer analogy, the game is fun, it has lots too it especially SWOS, but it ISN'T kick off. There is something unquantifiable about the way the game plays, the way you feel in control more of the game, able to shape it a little more than other games. I know there are 'set moves' but even these are unique in the way they go, no 2 goals are the same, they are like snowflakes...subtle differences. And then as you say you get the unique goals, all the time you see new goals, different reactions from the keeper, the game is about as Random as the real thing, that's why its so perfect even now!
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Yesterday I played some games with cousin. We are used to joke saying: "It is nice this new soccer game. Yes! it nice! but I don't believe it has a future."
Guys, 22 years are really many! Still this game continues to give new emotions!
A reason because we love Ko2?
Here the Alessandro's one: http://db.tt/18K992qo
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:15 pm

And here my reason too:

http://db.tt/PlPrQmx7
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Cousinator is better.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
r.cross

Postby r.cross » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:08 am

I love quite a bunch of games from that era, yet KO2 has something special to it - provided you have some people to play with, it simply doesn't age. In 1991 I spent most of my Amiga hours either with Turrican 2 or Kick Off 2 and while I'm 99% sure I know T2 inside out KO2 still manages to surprise me. In fact it was like I had discovered a completely new game in Rome '07. Something I particularly love the KOA for.

And there's something else about it - it might go a little far, but I can't help but believe that a little bit of the players personality can be extracted from their style of play. At least i like to believe that.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:46 pm

HAHA yes that last bit is SO true and I never even realised.

I definately have a soft spot for some of the players, you kinda think you know them like a friend.

I get the idea Barber is a bit sophisticated, Nicholls is probably more of a tall lanky workhorse.

R.Shaw I get the idea is a shy and retiring type, but genius on the ball...thinking of Matt LeTissier for this

Scott I think is someone you would love to go for a beer with, but wouldn't so much like him as the skipper of your team...I see him as a Steve McMahon player

They all have little mannerisms, you think you know them outside the pitch somehow...its weird now you mention it!
kick off hooligan
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby kick off hooligan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Hello Kick off Association !

I am new to the site and have just registered an account.i will start by introducing myself and telling you all a bit about me .
My name is jason and i am 35 years of age i have loved football ever sinse i can remember. the nation england of course .. the clubs ..you guessed it chelsea but i do have a soft spot for crystal palace , sheffield wednesday & hell even the glorious 80,s liverpool sides and the harsh dominating 90,s sides of manchester united

Do i love football and football computer games ? ..hell yes and ive played em all from the days of commodore 64 / amiga right through to the spoilt visual delights of pro evo / fifa that grace our consoles and computers today ...... but on to arguably the greatest game of them all kick off 2 ....and for the reccord im at the end of the pitch which feels this title is better than the sensible series for reasons im sure you all know.

my first memories of the great game come from an early age when i could only enjoy the pleasures of the commodore 64 and microprose soccer.. however my much older and more fortunate cousin had the amiga 500 and also possesed this new football game called kick off 2. ..One day he invited me into his room which at the time seemed like a palace of football and computer delights which only royalty could hope to enter ....that day was unforgettable , my cousin peppered my goals which with bending shots , blinding pace , skillfull goals and ultimatley a lesson in kick off 2 i have never forgotten.

in years ahead i did have the opportunity to own my own amiga & kick off 2 game which saw hours upon hours of unbridled football joy ...i look apon those days with great fondness and have only recently discovered that joy again through emulators such as winuae.

i hope you all welcome me here and let me join in on your conversations ... for i am just like you kick , off has been a part of my life as it has yours .. i share all your heart felt moments about the game and that warm nostalgic feeling that can never be lost when playing this game ..

i hope my post explains the reasons i love kick off 2
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Welcome to the fun!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Pure quality, pure madness. Welcome Jason. :)
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
kick off hooligan
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby kick off hooligan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:00 pm

hello steve camber & freshmaker !

thanks for the welcome lads nice to make your aquanitance ..
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:53 pm

What is the first memory you have of KO2?