WHDLOAD Kick Off 2 CV

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
alkis21
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15011
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: WHDLOAD Kick Off 2 CV

Postby alkis21 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:34 pm

StingRay wrote:
Steve Camber wrote:The "some more bytes" option is not a permanent solution here, more of a "delaying of the inevitable". Have you seen the size of the wishlist!? :lol:
However, I can place an agreed identifier in the bootblock, even including the exact address of the cache disabling code which would signify it as a WHDLoad-friendly KO2CV adf.

How does that sound for a solution?


Hello again, it's been a while. :) Been quite busy the last months so I didn't check the forum. Anyway, your solution sounds excellent, this will solve the problem nicely. Something like a "KOCV" ID (fits nicely in a long) followed by the offset to the cache disabling code at the end of the bootblock would be perfect I think. What do you think?

I also noticed that you have made quite a few updates to the Competition version meanwhile, I'll add support for the new versions in my WHDLoad patch now.



Yes please! I'm still stuck with the 2009 version. :( And if you two can find a solution that will enable us to keep the same patch for all future KO2CV versions, that would be awesome.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Image
User avatar
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!
Posts: 6197
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: WHDLOAD Kick Off 2 CV

Postby gdh82 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:18 pm

Sounds potentially great news. 8) Thanks Stingray.

As you probably already know the latest CV can be found within the KO2 Competition Version (KO2CV) Index.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
StingRay
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: WHDLOAD Kick Off 2 CV

Postby StingRay » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:18 pm

alkis21 wrote:Yes please! I'm still stuck with the 2009 version. :(


2009 version? I last updated the patch back in March 2010! Anyway, updated patch which will support all versions of the competition version will follow shortly.

alkis21 wrote:And if you two can find a solution that will enable us to keep the same patch for all future KO2CV versions, that would be awesome.


The solution Steve suggested will work nicely.


gdh82 wrote:Sounds potentially great news. 8) Thanks Stingray.


My pleasure. :)

gdh82 wrote:As you probably already know the latest CV can be found within the KO2 Competition Version (KO2CV) Index.


Yep, I already know that, it's why I also already know that there have been quite a few updates meanwhile. :)
User avatar
alkis21
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15011
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: WHDLOAD Kick Off 2 CV

Postby alkis21 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:47 pm

StingRay wrote:2009 version? I last updated the patch back in March 2010!


I know, but the last KO2CV it supported was the one from November 2009.

StingRay wrote:The solution Steve suggested will work nicely.


I'm looking forward to him implementing it then. :)
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Image
StingRay
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: WHDLOAD Kick Off 2 CV

Postby StingRay » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:06 pm

alkis21 wrote:I know, but the last KO2CV it supported was the one from November 2009.


The last supported KO2CV was 1.04 from March 2010. I just updated the patch, it now supports all Competition versions up to 1.07. It will appear on the WHDLoad site soon.

alkis21 wrote:I'm looking forward to him implementing it then. :)


That won't be much work for him, he just has to type 8 additional bytes (ID+offset) for each new released KO2CV. :)
User avatar
alkis21
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15011
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: WHDLOAD Kick Off 2 CV

Postby alkis21 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:59 pm

OK you're right, it's 1.04. I just called it the 2009 version because it has the pitch graphics of the 2009 World Cup. Thanks for the update, I'll check it out tomorrow.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Image
User avatar
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Posts: 7511
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, England
Contact:

Re: WHDLOAD Kick Off 2 CV

Postby Steve Camber » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:45 am

StingRay wrote:
Steve Camber wrote:The "some more bytes" option is not a permanent solution here, more of a "delaying of the inevitable". Have you seen the size of the wishlist!? :lol:
However, I can place an agreed identifier in the bootblock, even including the exact address of the cache disabling code which would signify it as a WHDLoad-friendly KO2CV adf.

How does that sound for a solution?


Hello again, it's been a while. :) Been quite busy the last months so I didn't check the forum. Anyway, your solution sounds excellent, this will solve the problem nicely. Something like a "KOCV" ID (fits nicely in a long) followed by the offset to the cache disabling code at the end of the bootblock would be perfect I think. What do you think?

I also noticed that you have made quite a few updates to the Competition version meanwhile, I'll add support for the new versions in my WHDLoad patch now.


I have updated 1.07 to include the KOCV+offset tag at the end of the bootblock. The offset is an offset into kickoff2.prg and points to the cache disabling function. As the function could potentially change in size, the safest patch I see is an RTS in place of the MOVEM.
Grab the update from http://go.to/ko2cv and see what you think. Let me know if you would prefer something different.

Thanks for looking into this again 8). Hopefully there won't be any need for future updates!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
StingRay
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: WHDLOAD Kick Off 2 CV

Postby StingRay » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Steve Camber wrote:I have updated 1.07 to include the KOCV+offset tag at the end of the bootblock. The offset is an offset into kickoff2.prg and points to the cache disabling function. As the function could potentially change in size, the safest patch I see is an RTS in place of the MOVEM.
Grab the update from http://go.to/ko2cv and see what you think. Let me know if you would prefer something different.


Excellent. :) I have updated my patch already, if no known Kick Off 2 version is detected, I'll check for the KOCV ID and if found use the offset to disable the cache disable (yay :D) routine. Works fine and is the perfect solution for this problem. I don't see why the cache disable routine should ever change in size but you are right, rts at the beginning of the routine is the safest solution. Only problem: In the cache disable routine you clear a flag, I didn't check if that's important or not yet.

Steve Camber wrote:Thanks for looking into this again 8). Hopefully there won't be any need for future updates!


My pleasure. Good games need a perfect WHDLoad patch (recently I FINALLY also finished the patch for Goal! which only took me 14 years to complete :P).
User avatar
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Posts: 7511
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, England
Contact:

Re: WHDLOAD Kick Off 2 CV

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:46 pm

That's great news!
Don't worry about the flag clear, it's nothing vital. I'll put it somewhere more sensible instead.

Congrats on the goal patch too :)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest