Help with Joystick

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Josh
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Help with Joystick

Postby Josh » Thu May 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Dear KO-Family,

first of all, a big thank you! To see that this genious game has survived for such a long time makes me really happy!

By browsing on the Internet searching or old Amiga-Games, I came to your side, and I already played KO2 with keyboards (at least I made a draw in a single game :oops:). By your advice I've ordered the good old Competition Pro (I always preffered the blue one) and when I took it our of the box, I felt like 1990 again... Best thing: My girlfriend is working out of town until tomorrow, so I have already planned a long computer evening with my favourite game and my favourite Stick.

Anyway, my problem is, that I'm not getting started with the Stick - I simply put it in an USB-Slot, the computer notices it and says it is installed. When I'm now starting the programme and choose either PC Joystick 0 or PC Joystick 1 and then start the Game there's unfortunately no reaction at all. As I have absolutely no experiences with Joysticks on PC-Systems (the last Joystick I used was on my Amiga 500) I have no idea what I have to do to make it work. If anyone can help me out I should be very thankful.

A few words to myself: My name is Josh (33), coming from southern Germany. I've played KO2 for years with a good friend of mine (we had a list on which we noticed every single result - at the end we have had over 2.000 Matches - unfortunately he won :lol: ). Anyway, as soon as I get it working I really want to get in touch with him again (he moved and we lost contact) and recommend him your genious site to download KO2 and get a Joystick and pretend it was 1990 again :mrgreen: ...

If I get it started, who knows - maybe I see you guys in one of the competitions :lol:

Thanks for your help!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: Help with Joystick

Postby gdh82 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:51 pm

Welcome to the KOA, Josh. :)

I know when I use WinUAE I have to make sure that the joystick is all plugged in first. If I plug it in later, the emulator doesn't know its there. It's not something easy like that, is it? If not, I'm sure one of the guys with more expertise than me should be able to help.

Btw Germany is a great place to be a KO2 fan, and of course the World Cup is happening there in October! 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Josh
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Josh » Thu May 20, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi gdh82!

Thanks for your quick reply. In the meantime I got it going :D ... First game with the Stick lost 0:4 :oops: . I got a bit rusty I'm afraid :lol: . But I have another problem: When I play with the stick I always used the right button to shoot. Now the right button doesn't do anything at all - to shoot with the left one is working but it is very uncomfortable.

My question: Is there a difference between the two buttons and is there a way to set them in a way that I can shoot with the right one? Or is my right button maybe damaged?

Anyway it's a lot of fun to play KO2 again!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Both buttons are supposed to serve the same function mate so I am afraid your right button is broken.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Josh
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Josh » Thu May 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi Alkis,

thanks for your answer! Damn it, I got the Stick newly only today...

Well then there's no other way to return it and wait another few days to get back to KO2... Anyway, thanks for your help!
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu May 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Welcome aboard Josh. Looking forward to seeing you in Dusseldorf in October. :)
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Thu May 20, 2010 9:58 pm

alkis21 wrote:Both buttons are supposed to serve the same function mate so I am afraid your right button is broken.

It sounds like a modern USB joystick, if it's like my USB CompPro, then the firebuttons are all separate.
To get round this, in WinUAE, go to the "input" section and change the "Input Source" of "Button 0" and "Button 1" so that they both say "Joy2 Fire/Mouse 2 Left Button".
Both main buttons can then be used in KO2 :)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
goalkeeper

Postby goalkeeper » Fri May 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Sorry can´t help with the joystick!

Damn girl-friend, if she would stay away one day longer, you had come to Langenfeld(between Düsseldorf and Cologne) today :)
If you like to surprise her with a spontaneous trip, i can offer you a guest room with double bed!
here you can speak german: http://www.kickoff2.com

Welcome Josh, have a nice time again with KO2!
Josh
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Josh » Sat May 22, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi guys,

first of all, thanks for the warm welcome on the board.

@ Steve: Whoooohoooo - you were right! It works with the manual set-up! Thank you very much! Thank god I was too lazy to sent it back yet :D

As soon as I have a little training, I'm going to try the online version - is there a link which gives some help for getting the game online (as I'm quite dumb with all this stuff, I would be very thankful for any hint).

@ goalkeeper: Thanks for the invitation, but my car broke yesterday :cryo: ... If I'm really getting sucked into the game like in 1993 I actually might come to the great competition in October.