My current Player Manager team

This forum is dedicated to the original version of Player Manager

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

alkis21

My current Player Manager team

Postby alkis21 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Ever since StingRay from the English Amiga Board made a hard disk install patch, I've been playing a lot of Player Manager. I keep records of my team for every season, so I thought I'd share the starting lineup with you:

So what do you think? I confess that there is small amount of cheating involved: as I always play 'as a team' and that's not an option unless my Player Manager is on the field, whenever he gets too old I use a Hex Editor to 'reset' his age at 18. But that's the only stat I change, and I don't even touch the other players.

Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Re: My current Player Manager team

Postby Danne » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:01 pm

Great Team Alkis!

I wish I had stored the teams which I once had.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:50 am

I thought I'd post my progress, so here are the stats of my current team:

As you can see, I'm constantly flirting with the 200 goals / year (11.11 avg) but I've only managed to make it once. I also managed to not concede any goals at all last season for the second time.
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:54 am

Nice..

I have four binders with stats and game stats from all my years - uptil 2184 :)
3 saves per season as well... but I don`t cheat.. I manage now.. although I know I can insert a player manager at any time.
Shame we can`t up the skill level of the other teams a bit!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Stainy wrote:I have four binders with stats and game stats from all my years - uptil 2184 :)

I remember you mentioning in the past, that is awesome. How about scanning some random pages for us?

3 saves per season as well... but I don`t cheat.. I manage now.. although I know I can insert a player manager at any time.

I admit I do cheat... just enough to help me keep playing as a team for eternity. I really wish I didn't have to, I wish Steve would implement a better transfer system and the option to choose any player as a PM... but I never reload after a bad result or an injury for instance.

Shame we can`t up the skill level of the other teams a bit!

So true. Imagine if we could replace the regular teams with those of Return to Europe...
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Playing the RTE teams? man that would be awesome, and very hard at the same time... I could see lots of sackings!
Unless I had a player manager back in my team!
Robert

Postby Robert » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:58 am

I can see that you retrain your players in order to balance their stats (who wants anyone with under 100 shooting after all) but be careful, if you leave people out of position their value is reduced and they get poor MORALE. As we subsequently discovered, morale is a very important semi-hidden variable that enables Player A to push Player B over. I think you should be pushing for higher Tackling on your defenders and higher Shooting score on your forwards. Anyone with 160 shooting can produce a straight shot or cross but 180+ means shooting through opposition keepers. You seem to value a high passing stat. Again, it's useful in PM but not as useful if the teams are transferred to KO2. Although I guess this is not the aim for you - but it would be nice for us to have a PM vs PM friendly don't you think?
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:49 am

Robert Swift wrote:I can see that you retrain your players in order to balance their stats (who wants anyone with under 100 shooting after all) but be careful, if you leave people out of position their value is reduced and they get poor MORALE.

I try to find the golden medium. Just like real football, it is very difficult to keep everyone happy. In your opinion, what does "out of position" mean? Is it just a question of whether the player is a defender or midfielder or is it more complex than that, for instance whether you play him left or right or too far front? I tend to believe it's the latter because some players are never happy.

I think you should be pushing for higher Tackling on your defenders and higher Shooting score on your forwards.

That is the general idea. Although finding expensive defenders is really hard; sometimes I resort to buying midfielders with an adequate tackling skill and retraining them, especially as wing backs.

You seem to value a high passing stat. Again, it's useful in PM but not as useful if the teams are transferred to KO2.

Yes, passing is very important in PM and you can score some very interesting goals with the right players.

but it would be nice for us to have a PM vs PM friendly don't you think?

Sure!
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:48 am

alkis21 wrote:Image

I would have expected a higher aggression value for Alkis Polyrakis. ;)
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Robert

Postby Robert » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:19 pm

Also, a lower Stamina :lol:
Billy Minof
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Billy Minof » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:41 am

Great teams lads....I remember some of them names.

Danne wrote:Great Team Alkis!

I wish I had stored the teams which I once had.

Me too. :( I even have a 3.5 inch floppy drive on my Pc which I could have used to get it. :oops:
"To be the Man, you gotta beat the Man"
Maragenie
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Maragenie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Great side Alkis, truly wonderful team. How did you manage to get your player 200/200 pace and stamina? (Hex?)

I'd kill to have Maragenie 10 leading out my side each game. :/
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:19 am

Maragenie wrote:Great side Alkis, truly wonderful team. How did you manage to get your player 200/200 pace and stamina? (Hex?)

I'd kill to have Maragenie 10 leading out my side each game. :/

Nah, as I said in my first post I never edit a player's stats, only my PM's age so that I can keep playing him. Of course that makes him better and better every year so don't look at him, he's the only fake player of my team.