Dino Dini wants to make a new football game

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Oss117
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Dino Dini wants to make a new football game

Postby Oss117 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi all,

First of all, best wishes for this new year 2010 for everyone.

Just wanted to inform you about some discussions I had recently with Dino Dini. Here on his blog, you will find a mail I wrote to him, his answer and some comments he made on it. Later I wrote him an email to clarify my point of view.

Dino,

I just read you blog and understood the way you got my request. It seems that you have been a kind, let say, offended/upset by the way I made it. I'm sorry about that.

And I just wanted to clarify my thinking. I don't want to spoil you ! For me, redo a game like Kickoff in java is a time to time hobby and a way to have fun.

In a way, trying to redo what has been done by the master, you Dino Dini :), is a kind of game for me. Honestly, I am appreciative of game ideas and concepts, which in his time, I sincerely believe, were a little revolution of its kind. I could not complete my game, because, and you know it like me, coding, especially alone, is time consuming, and I have plenty other higher priority tasks to do.

Since years, I have followed all the stories about you, your KOA fans's relationship, the little war with this journalist about Kickoff and sensible soccer, your fight with wikipedia and so on and so on. I do not know you personally but I have the feeling to understand some traits of you.

So, I completely agree that you do not want to share your 'source code' if you are living from games and expecting create new games. I understand that.

Moreover, if you decide to create a new football game, I will support you in this task. When I say I will support, of course it does not means I will spent all my time to do it, but sometimes to help you, yes, why not. It would be so funny, if one day, I could play on current console games a game like Kickoff with my children. /-)

Well, Dino, I just wanted you to know that I remain a fan for what you had managed to do at the time. I do not blame you for having answered negatively and I wish you good luck for the future.

If one time you are interested, I can even gives you the work I made for trying to redo a java open kickoff.

Hope we will still stay in touch by mail, twitter or facebook (waiting for your request! ;) ).

Do not forget that English (I'm french) is not my mother tongue and It's always harder to express precisely his way of thinking in an other language.

Cheers

But the point here is that Dino Dini wants to make a football game :D and needs to know how many people support him in his project.

So If any of you reading this think helping Dino get a new football game developed and published sounds like a good idea, sign up on Dino Dini facebook fan page

Tell him on his wall that you are coming from KOA and on behalf of SebOnAir :wink:
Oss117
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re: Dino Dini wants to make a new football game

Postby Oss117 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:00 pm

Any reactions ? who has already sign up ? :?:
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:46 pm

I can't find any enthusiasm for this project, sorry. :|
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Cheers for the links, Seb. Only had a quick skim but his plans for a new footy game sound sketchy to me ? Signed up DD's facebook page nevertheless to see what he's up to. :)

And on his blog the following 'talk' is posted. Although on the long side (55mins!) from the first 10mins I've watched it's got some interesting KO history. 8)

http://dinodini.wordpress.com/category/ ... velopment/
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:45 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:I can't find any enthusiasm for this project, sorry. :|

Mark, you can't find any enthusiasm for your own fixture software! :lol: (Any chance I can have the source code? hehe :D

Great news that Dino is making a new game! He can come across as a bit aloof but then again so can a lot of people...appreciate History has occured with him and the KOA but I wish everyone would let bygones be bygones...imagine Dino turning upto tournaments!
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Steve1977 wrote:Mark, you can't find any enthusiasm for your own fixture software! :lol: (Any chance I can have the source code? hehe :D
What you talking about? I'm very proud of my fixture software and love it immensely. And, no.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:02 pm

The thing is, Dino has been talking about making a new football game ever since we first found him (circa 2002). I'll show some enthusiasm when I see it.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
jesper
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby jesper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Hubert, you should really get in touch with Steve Camber if you haven't already. He knows the ko2 assembly code more intimately than Dino by now I suppose! He might share some knowledge. Right Steve? :)

Anyone knows how is the KO2PC project is going by the way? Who is working on the C++ side?
You cannot avoid the Google [Bot]
Oss117
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Oss117 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:44 am

jesper wrote:Hubert, you should really get in touch with Steve Camber if you haven't already. He knows the ko2 assembly code more intimately than Dino by now I suppose! He might share some knowledge. Right Steve? :)

Anyone knows how is the KO2PC project is going by the way? Who is working on the C++ side?

You are right Jesper, I will get in touch closer with Steve. I am sure he knows better ko2 assembly code than Dini. 8)

BTW just to show you the open kickoff project current status, I made it available online using java webstart.

Don't expect to much of this demo. I have restarted to port what was done by the past using now the well known java library Slick which is based on the famous LWGL (Lightweight Java Game Library)

The project is now available on Google code here
The source code is under GPLv3 and will be uploaded during the weekend. I am just finishing to do some cleaning :mrgreen:

Here is some information about keys during practice game
ARROWS for moving player
KEY S Apply force to the ball for dribbling
KEY D Apply force to the ball for shooting
KEY X Scanner toggle Zoom
KEY C Switch Visible
KEY F6 Center To Player/Ball
KEY F7 Show FPS
KEY M Sound On/Off
KEY F12 Toggle Windowed/Fullscreen (must try)
KEY ESCAPE Exit

Remark. When the ball hit the edge of the pitch, you must escape and reenter practice to reset ball position at center. sorry about that.

The next step of the project is to compute internal physics like it works inside ko2 (Thanks Steve for helping me)
Slowly but surely I will try to be close as possible of the original ko2 and this forum is for me an invaluable source of information in this task. Thanks all for your help.

The webstart is hosted here but will move soon to a dedicated place.

Hope it works for everybody, java jre6 is needed.
Suggestions and comments are welcome
Oss117
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Oss117 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:56 am

Someone made an attempt?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:21 am

Oss117 wrote:Someone made an attempt?

I can't get it working - I'm not familiar with Java which doesnt help!

The webstart downloads ok, Java 6 pops up, I give permissions when prompted... but nothing seems to happen after that. Maybe someone else has more luck!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Oss117
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Oss117 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:15 am

Pay attention to have the latest jre6 ;) but principally it should works !
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:52 am

I've already got JRE 6 Update 17 installed. The java 6 box pops up and then nothing!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net