KO2 PC project

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

baccardi
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re: KO2 PC project

Postby baccardi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:27 pm

wouldn't it be easer just to write our own protocol for ko2 multiplayer and implement it instead of hacking some programs?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:34 pm

baccardi wrote:wouldn't it be easer just to write our own protocol for ko2 multiplayer and implement it instead of hacking some programs?

That what I was thinking. I never considered the Kaillera option!
Ideally we want to be heading towards that time in the future when we get 10 vs 10 multiplayer!!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Steve Camber wrote:
baccardi wrote:wouldn't it be easer just to write our own protocol for ko2 multiplayer and implement it instead of hacking some programs?

Ideally we want to be heading towards that time in the future when we get 10 vs 10 multiplayer!!

Good, unnecessary complications are off the table then!
baccardi
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby baccardi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Steve, how could i use the function in KO2 for CPU vs CPU? And, should i use directx for simple drawings, because at the moment i'm using windows gdi.
jesper
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby jesper » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:59 pm

dnielsen wrote:
Steve Camber wrote:

Good, unnecessary complications are off the table then!

Unless a game networking wizard comes along I'm pretty sure that interfacing with an existing library is less complicated than doing the network code from scratch. As I said earlier no hacking is necessary, interfacing should be straight forward. It seems a good starting point, at least if early network play is a priority.
You cannot avoid the Google [Bot]
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:43 pm

baccardi wrote:And, should i use directx for simple drawings, because at the moment i'm using windows gdi.
Depends what you're doing. GDI would be ok for things that aren't time critical, but you wouldn't want to be using it for game display stuff! I had a look at the menu example that you posted and it looks pretty good. For functional menus GDI would be ok but if you, or the team, want to do anything fancy in the future, then DirectX would be the way.

Have you done any DirectX stuff? Have a look for D3DXSprite, which will get you going with the 2D stuff. If you've not used much DirectX, I can help out with setup and samples. Once you've done the setup, it's pretty straightforward.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:51 am

DirectX is the way to go in the long term. That's what I've used in KO2PC so far.
--
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Abyss

Postby Abyss » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:19 pm

OK, DirectX then... problem is I know nothing about it (God bless wrappers and libraries like SDL and especially Allegro for helping me avoid it). Wouldn't something like OpenGL make the project more accessible and potentially target more platforms?

But, if DirectX is Steve's choice, then that's it!

So, any pointers on learning DirectX? Do I need a Visual Studio 6 - based environment or a GCC + SDK solution is enough? Don't make me battle Google results to find proper resources! :)
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:26 pm

Abyss wrote:OK, DirectX then... problem is I know nothing about it (God bless wrappers and libraries like SDL and especially Allegro for helping me avoid it). Wouldn't something like OpenGL make the project more accessible and potentially target more platforms?

So, any pointers on learning DirectX? Do I need a Visual Studio 6 - based environment or a GCC + SDK solution is enough? Don't make me battle Google results to find proper resources! :)

Grab example code, that's the best way! VS6 is probably easiest.
--

Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:43 pm

Abyss wrote:OK, DirectX then... problem is I know nothing about it (God bless wrappers and libraries like SDL and especially Allegro for helping me avoid it). Wouldn't something like OpenGL make the project more accessible and potentially target more platforms?

Do you know OpenGL? If so, then DIrectX will be simple, there are some differences but nothing too major. A little Google search for directx tutorials should wield many results.

VS6 is a great place to start. I actually use VS.net 2003 but the code is directly portable, then only difference is the project format. I'm sure there must be a GCC solution, which should be fine too.
samo79
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby samo79 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:19 pm

Use OpenGL instead, it may help for future porting on AmigaOS 3.x and 4.x and maybe Mac 8)
Le mele a volte possono essere devastate dal colpo feroce di una tempesta, ma il tenero fascio del sole potrà sempre far sviluppare dei nuovi frutti
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:53 am

At a low level surely both DirectX and OpenGL can be supported.
--

Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:16 pm

Shouldn't pose too much of a problem to support both. Not really necessary though if it will never be ported and stay PC only.