This forum is dedicated to the original version of Player Manager

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Cowboy
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Difficulty in Starting New Game

Postby Cowboy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:53 pm

Dear All,

Hoping some of you won't mind helping me out here, although I appreciate that my problem is simliar to the last guys.

I've downloaded WINUAE 1.5.2. I'm new to Emulators but pretty good with PC's. I would love to play PM as I spent years playing it as a kid, and am willing to swap the shouts of my mothers "Get off that dammed computer" to a similar thing from my wife :D

I've DL the version of PM recommened on the other thread (where you click on "telecharger") and am suffering the same issues when having waited the 20 mins for the new game to initialise it won't accept the "blank" disk generated by WINUAE (named pmsave).

I've kept it simple, "ejected" the PM ROM from DF0 and replaced it with the pmsave afd image, but I can't get past the screen.

Having read through the previous thread.......is it the version of WINUAE and if so can someone direct me to an older version?? I'm only really interested in playing KO2 and PM.

I had the same problem with the v1.11....european teams?? Can it be true?

Grateful for any help you can give me (Just browsed the hex editor thread......can't wait to play with that!!)

Many Thanks

Cowboy

P.S. Was anyone elses dreams shattered when they found out that PM2 wasn't an improved mamagement sim using the KO2 engine?? :P
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Re: Difficulty in Starting New Game

Postby Stainy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:22 pm

P.S. Was anyone elses dreams shattered when they found out that PM2 wasn't an improved mamagement sim using the KO2 engine?? :P

You mean this ???

ImageImage
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:08 am

Cowboy wrote:I would love to play PM as I spent years playing it as a kid, and am willing to swap the shouts of my mothers "Get off that dammed computer" to a similar thing from my wife :D

I can't help I'm afraid - hope someone else here can - but that line really cracked me up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:29 pm

I've kept it simple, "ejected" the PM ROM from DF0 and replaced it with the pmsave afd image, but I can't get past the screen

Ok... so you`ve pressed F12... gone to your floppy drives.. ejected the pm.adf ? ... now click on `create standard disk` give it a name ... and hit save..
Look up to DF0 and hit thew browse button [..] <--- and find your disk you`ve just created... click on `open` and you`ve `virtually inserted the save disk..
Click on `ok` to go back to the emulation..

Well.. before all this you get to the point in Player Manager where it`s asking for a save disk.. so when you go back to the emulation... your save disk is virtually in DF0.. and you click whatever you need to click ( can`t remember ) to save.

Your starting a new game ?

Let me know how you get on..
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:31 pm

See how I solved the problem for Jim in the previous thread and download the same file. If you can load it and play it with no problems, I'll make one for you too.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Cowboy
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Cowboy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:13 pm

Stainy wrote:
Ok... so you`ve pressed F12... gone to your floppy drives.. ejected the pm.adf ? ... now click on `create standard disk` give it a name ... and hit save..
Look up to DF0 and hit thew browse button [..] <--- and find your disk you`ve just created... click on `open` and you`ve `virtually inserted the save disk..
Click on `ok` to go back to the emulation..

Well.. before all this you get to the point in Player Manager where it`s asking for a save disk.. so when you go back to the emulation... your save disk is virtually in DF0.. and you click whatever you need to click ( can`t remember ) to save.

Your starting a new game ?

Let me know how you get on..

Stainy, I've done all that cheers mate, and same problem. the .adf file exists, and its mounted onto the DF0: drive, but when clicking OK at the botom of the screen(the emulated PM screen), it waits a while and then loads the same screen "Please insert a formatted disk into drive A"

I've even tried zipping up the .adf file to see if that will make a difference, no luck (n.b. Hertford?? You're just down the road from me LOL)

alkis21 wrote:See how I solved the problem for Jim in the previous thread and download the same file. If you can load it and play it with no problems, I'll make one for you too.

Alkis, The Burnley file that you have posted does work, and I can use the save state facility no problems. I appreciate you willing to make a file for me, but I'd really like to get to the bottom of this one. I just can't work it out.

This is exactly what I've done......

WINUAE 1.5.2 .............. (Has anyone tried starting a new PM game using this version??)

Using the A500 v1.3 ROM OCS 512kb chip with 512kb Slow RAM (Most Common)
PM 1990 ANCO Cracked by Oracle (DL from the previous thread link)
Created a "Standard Disk Image" renamed "pmsave.adf" - set to 100% compatabililty. 3.5" DD

Started PM, clicked on "New Game" waited the 20 mins for it to build the database. Changed the name of the manager, the name of the team, and clicked "Play as a Team"

Changed the names of a few of the teams in the divisions (just extensions really, Tottenham HOTSPUR, Manchester UNITED etc rather than just Manchester and Tottenham etc etc) Clicked "Done"

"Insert Formatted Dick into Drive A"
Pressed F12, ejected the PM from DF0: "inserted" the pmsave, made sure write protect is unckecked, clicked OK, and then the screen reloads itself, as the AMIGA would do if you hadn't inserted a formatted disk.

Banged head on wall........swore a bit............wrote reply to thread :shock:
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:42 pm

Damn!! Hitchin.. I lived there for 2 years!

Are you just interested in PM? or Kick off 2 as well... because there`s 2 of us in Hertford.. couple others close by that we get together for small tornaments from time to time... next one is next Wed :)

now back to your problem... I would say that PM is thinking the .adf isn`t formatted... but I`m almost 100% positive that I`ve done that.. made a disk and just started using it.. I have Winuae here at work... but no hardrive file to check that with..
I`ll do that when I get back... maybe give you a call and we can go over it on the phone maybe..
Cowboy
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Cowboy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:47 pm

Stainy wrote:Damn!! Hitchin.. I lived there for 2 years!

Are you just interested in PM? or Kick off 2 as well... because there`s 2 of us in Hertford.. couple others close by that we get together for small tornaments from time to time... next one is next Wed :)

now back to your problem... I would say that PM is thinking the .adf isn`t formatted... but I`m almost 100% positive that I`ve done that.. made a disk and just started using it.. I have Winuae here at work... but no hardrive file to check that with..
I`ll do that when I get back... maybe give you a call and we can go over it on the phone maybe..

Small world!!

Yes I love KO2, used to play it for ages so I'll have to get some practice in, although I'm sure you guys are all pretty damn good!! Will see about next Wednesday, I can imagine it already [Wife] "Computer games, at someones house, how OLD are you anyway?? Blah Blah"

Grateful for all your help....I assume the adf image is the same as if I was to DL Worbench and format one in there, if such a thing is still possibel??
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:41 pm

Cowboy wrote:Yes I love KO2, used to play it for ages so I'll have to get some practice in, although I'm sure you guys are all pretty damn good!! Will see about next Wednesday, I can imagine it already [Wife] "Computer games, at someones house, how OLD are you anyway?? Blah Blah"

Get off ya horse and play some KO2, Cowboy! :) Go for it! They're a relatively sane bunch and I'm sure you won't regret it, whatever the wife says! :lol:
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Try downloading an older version. The moment I discovered a WinUAE version that emulated my Amiga 1200 perfectly in every way, I never upgraded; I didn't see the need to. I'm using 0.8.22R3.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:19 am

alkis21 wrote:Try downloading an older version. The moment I discovered a WinUAE version that emulated my Amiga 1200 perfectly in every way, I never upgraded; I didn't see the need to. I'm using 0.8.22R3.

Man thats an old version... :shock: :lol:

The latest version works fine!
Cowboy
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Cowboy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:44 am

alkis21 wrote:Try downloading an older version. The moment I discovered a WinUAE version that emulated my Amiga 1200 perfectly in every way, I never upgraded; I didn't see the need to. I'm using 0.8.22R3.

The link for that version is out, I guess they don't host it anymore.

The oldest version that I can DL is 0.8.23........I'll let you know how it goes
Cowboy
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Cowboy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:03 pm

SUCCESS!!

Using the older version and creating a standard disk in exactly the same ay works fine. I was able to set up the game and then save state straight away and then import that directly into the newer version of WINUAE and it works fine, good to know if anyone else has the same problem.

Thank you all very much for your help. Some forums are crap with "newbies" so very much appreciated.

Stainy, we'll sort out some sort of KO2 thing!!

Now to see if I can hex edit my way to an 18 year old PM LOL

Last thing...........any way to get it to run full screen?? :D