Profiles on Left / Right side of Postings - You decide

Kick Off Association talk + website Updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profiles on Left / Right side of Postings - You decide

Postby durban » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:42 pm

An issue was raised that some people preferred the 'Old' Forum layout for posts with the Posters Profile listed on the left hand side of the post.

Some people prefer the 'New' Version where the profile is on the Right side of the posts.

We have now enabled the option so that the 'default' is the new version, but users can select their choice from their 'User Control Panel' situated near the top of the page if you are logged in.

To change the format, go to the User Control Panel and select the Board Preferences tab.

Within this tab there is an option to select 'My Board Style'.

If you prefer the OLD format of the KOA then please select SemiGreenLeft

If you prefer the NEW format of the KOA then please select SemiGreen

Should you become aware of any issues using SemiGreenLeft please inform me immediately and I will investigate the issue asap.

Kind regards,

Mark
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Thowra
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Re: Profiles on Left / Right side of Postings - You decide

Postby Thowra » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:53 pm

this is getting complicated. Can't it be left by default?? Then people can move right if they can work out how to do it??
Latin American travel: http://www.thowra.com
Digital Equine: http://www.digitalequine.co.uk
WC 2005 Official Photographer
WC 2006 Co-Organiser
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:01 pm

Thank you Mark, that was probably the only thing I didn't like about the new look and I'm glad I was given the option to change it. As for everything else, I reckon it's just a matter of getting used to it. It definitely looks better and more functional.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:08 pm

Ah leave it right by default... they can move it left if they can figure out how to do it! :mrgreen:
GingerPete
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby GingerPete » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:16 pm

It should be left by default, its what new members are familar with.
so from a UI perspective on the left, also while your at it make the grey colours white, make the page so it filsl the screen width and take off the silly shadow of the ko gathering words, get rid of the report post ! button, or move it make it less obvious.

Actaully why not just bring back the..... (i stopped myself :P )

Also I may be going mad. but something is up with the focus after you click post or reply, you have to then click in the text box again before typing, which is a little annoying. (Bit like me really)
(check the tab index or something and make the text box the lowest number)
SimonB
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby SimonB » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:03 am

Thanks Durbs!
Birmingham 2011 World Cup: 15th best player :)
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:24 am

Thanks Simon/Alkis, its nice just to get a 'thank you' for a change, obviously with me being a full time forum admin who knows PHP, SQL, PHPBB3 and CSS Scripting inside out (trained in a big University you know) you would think I could make all these changes in seconds....I dunno whats stopping me to be honest.....oh hold on its coz I'm a Mainframe Programmer who knows f**k all about those things!

Pete,

1) Not sure what you mean by the Shadow on the KO text? Can you elaborate, if you mean the logo then thats changing soon I beleive.

2) Most 'New' Members will probably not mind the pics being left or right. The 'new' breed of forums (and most PHPBB3 templates) have the text on the left and the posters details on the Right, thus new people may actually prefer it that way! Its not like we made a choice to make it the other way around, thats just how it is set up accross 90% of phpbb3 boards and I had to amend the code and CSS to create an 'alternative' method for the KOA. Contrary to the belief of, seemingly, the majority of people on this board making configuration changes to the Board is NOT just a quick fix and most of these changes need to be tested offline (one quick line of code can cause other pages to stop working completely!) I have already amended the default for new users to be 'left' as it seems most of the old users want this, personally I don't agree but I am going with the vocal majority.

3) Not sure about the 'report post' button, not noticed it myself.

4) I appreciate your comments are tongue in cheek but if you have any serious concerns or improvements then I am happy to try and implement them if enough people are with the idea.
If we created a KOA Forum with 'everyones' ideas then imagine the mess!
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:34 am

durban wrote:Thanks Simon/Alkis, its nice just to get a 'thank you' for a change, obviously with me being a full time forum admin who knows PHP, SQL, PHPBB3 and CSS Scripting inside out (trained in a big University you know) you would think I could make all these changes in seconds....I dunno whats stopping me to be honest.....oh hold on its coz I'm a Mainframe Programmer who knows f**k all about those things!

:)

We do love you Mark (naigw for myself - but I can't talk about the others).

Tbh, in you position I wouldn't have cared and done anything about this trivial (profiles on left/right) issue.
Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:51 am

Done! Thanks for that Durbs, make it perfect :)
NewEly - He is here sometimes...................
http://www.wayoftherodent.com
jesper
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby jesper » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:52 pm

This is a radical fascist rightwing turn and I don't like it. When new KO2 rules are proposed they are normally tested in minor tournaments and if most people like them they eventually become the default. What makes avatar placement different?

Thanks for updating the board though! :)
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:42 pm

jesper wrote:This is a radical fascist rightwing turn and I don't like it. When new KO2 rules are proposed they are normally tested in minor tournaments and if most people like them they eventually become the default. What makes avatar placement different?

Thanks for updating the board though! :)

:lol: Welcome back mate :)
JamesHBeard
The guru!
The guru!

Postby JamesHBeard » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:51 am

jesper wrote:This is a radical fascist rightwing turn and I don't like it. When new KO2 rules are proposed they are normally tested in minor tournaments and if most people like them they eventually become the default. What makes avatar placement different?

Shall we test that the new BAN feature works on this posters account ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WC - QF 2001,2002, SilverCup Winner 2006, Best Defence 2006
UKC - Winner 2005
Newent 2008 Championship Winner

Hi ! My name is James and I have been KO2 free since 8th March 2009.
Robert

Postby Robert » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:46 am

Trying to reduce number of stickies/announcements so I have stopped this from being a 'Global' and kept as announcement in Website forum only.