Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.2.1 Released 03-04-08

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby John Wilson » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:01 pm

I've just posted FW-CV 0.0.2 @ http://www.jonw.f2s.com/KO2

...no additional features at this stage, just a fix for the flick bug that Gianni found - once again thanks for the feedback, Gianni.
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:41 pm

John Wilson wrote:I've just posted FW-CV 0.0.2 @ http://www.jonw.f2s.com/KO2

...no additional features at this stage, just a fix for the flick bug that Gianni found - once again thanks for the feedback, Gianni.

You're welcome! And thank you again for your work!
I'm burning the amiga disk right now... :wink:
My favorite KO2 is Kickoff2 1MB (1.6) with over heads kicks (Scissor Kicks) but, if I remember well, without flicks.
If I can ask you, I've seen that you disabled che 68020 cache so now it is possible to load FW with A1200s: please, it is hard for you to make the same thing with KO2 Extended Version 1.6? So I could play with it on my A1200...
And, seeing that we were on the subject, do you think it is possible to add the same feature you added in FWCV like the Scissor kick selection? can you add the selection for both the players in KO2Extended Version 1.6 as you did for FWCV?
In practice, may you try to make the KO2 EVOLUTION 1.6?
I'm already looking towards the new kickoff2 title screen...ImageImageImage
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:04 pm

good, the bug is gone! :)
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby John Wilson » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:56 am

Torchiador wrote:My favorite KO2 is Kickoff2 1MB (1.6) with over heads kicks (Scissor Kicks) but, if I remember well, without flicks.
If I can ask you, I've seen that you disabled che 68020 cache so now it is possible to load FW with A1200s: please, it is hard for you to make the same thing with KO2 Extended Version 1.6? So I could play with it on my A1200...

...it would certainly be interesting for me (and I'm sure for Steve too) to see the differences between 1.4, 1.6 and FW so it's definitely worth looking into this. The 68020 cache, and scissor kick mods would be easy. The tricky bit is getting a 'clean crack' ...I'll most likely look at this after the next FW-CV release.
Davetoast
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby Davetoast » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:35 pm

Wow, nice one Camber for telling me about this and nice one John for doing it.

It's been that long since I've played it now that I can't really remember anything serious that needs sorting. Perhaps you can sort a few bugs in CS:S for me though?

I think the option to remove overheads and flicks is questionable as these are part of the game and you simply have to learn how not to do them by accident. Also, putting filth in there is completely wrong for me as it simply never was, in any version. Having said that, if it encourages PBDers to have a go then all well and good. I don't think they'll be having a go for very long though as manipulating the keeper with traps and direction changes hardly works in FW. Goals need to flow into the net, preferably on the end of a flowing move. But the FW keeper isn't as impossible as people think, he's just different. I find it every bit as easy to score against him as KO2ers find scoring against their keeper and I find their keeper just as frustrating as KO2ers find the FW keeper.

A=B seems like a boon at first but then, when I think about it, one of the pleasures of the game was learning the stats of the players and who's good at what and who's bad at what. If Maradona were to fare just as well in being tackled by Beckenbauer as he would in being tackled by Santamaria, that would detract from it for me.

Speaking of which, would it be possible to integrate The Giants Of Europe teams into the game? And how about the Winning Tactics being integrated? That would save an awful lot of messing about.
Final Whistle Crusader and President of The FWA.
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:42 pm

Davetoast wrote:A=B seems like a boon at first but then, when I think about it, one of the pleasures of the game was learning the stats of the players and who's good at what and who's bad at what. If Maradona were to fare just as well in being tackled by Beckenbauer as he would in being tackled by Santamaria, that would detract from it for me.

What does the difference in player stats have to do with A=B?
Davetoast
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby Davetoast » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:51 pm

They are part of the equation that decides who wins the ball, IIRC. So resilience, size and tackle stats would come into play for defenders in a clash with a forward who's resilience, size and flair play a part. That's the way I'd always thought it works anyways.

So Nat Lofthouse or Gurd Muller always fared better in being block tackled than Gary Lineker or Raymond Kopa.
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby John Wilson » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:10 pm

Davetoast wrote:Perhaps you can sort a few bugs in CS:S for me though?

:lol: - an unstable Source game, never!! I gave up with valve after a miserable time getting HL2: Episode I working. A shame as HL/HL2 are incredible games.

Davetoast wrote:A=B seems like a boon at first but then, when I think about it, one of the pleasures of the game was learning the stats of the players and who's good at what and who's bad at what. If Maradona were to fare just as well in being tackled by Beckenbauer as he would in being tackled by Santamaria, that would detract from it for me.

...thanks for the feedback Toast.

The stats are still there and fully intact.
As I understand it (although Camber is more of an expert on this) without the A=B option ALL Team A players are always given an additional boost of morale - I assume Dino was implementing a home advantage. With Camber's mod there is no difference in additional morale, giving a level playing field for two players.

Davetoast wrote:Also, putting filth in there is completely wrong for me as it simply never was, in any version.

I was seriously in two minds about this - after all, the FW keepers would never have been playtested against filthy PBDers and it may give them an even bigger advantage than in KO2. But, as you say, it's simply there to encourage more people to play the game.
Davetoast
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby Davetoast » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:27 pm

John Wilson wrote: :lol: - an unstable Source game, never!! I gave up with valve after a miserable time getting HL2: Episode I working. A shame as HL/HL2 are incredible games.

You need a PC as opposed to an Amiga. :wink:

As I understand it (although Camber is more of an expert on this) without the A=B option ALL Team A players are always given an additional boost of morale - I assume Dino was implementing a home advantage. With Camber's mod there is no difference in additional morale, giving a level playing field for two players.

Seems my memory is a bit rusty! this being the case, A=B sounds good as that home/away difference is too pronounced.

I was seriously in two minds about this - after all, the FW keepers would never have been playtested against filthy PBDers and it may give them an even bigger advantage than in KO2. But, as you say, it's simply there to encourage more people to play the game.

Yep, it'll certainly be interesting to see whether the keeper can be manipulated with filth. My guess would be not so much.

Cheers.
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby John Wilson » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:08 pm

I've just posted FW-CV 0.0.3 @ http://www.jonw.f2s.com/KO2

Changes are:
  • Fixed that stupid 'Stuck in PBD Selection' bug when selecting a computer only game (thanks for the feedback Filipo).
  • Added Camber's fix for aftertouch for 2nd/3rd/4th PIP
  • Torchio Tactics! As suggested by Gianni I've put an option in to stop your team switching to their defensive formation when you kick or head the ball. This was most noticeable when trying to play a long through ball and when I tried it, even on corners.
    When testing this I was really surprised at how much easier it is to move the ball forward, especially up the wings with 4-2-4.

It is independently selectable for each team.

...enjoy :)
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:34 pm

Excellent work!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
lolafg
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby lolafg » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:00 pm

:shock: Great !!!

ps: Didn't you say that you would work in the 2.1 version ?
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.0.3 Released 07-02-08

Postby John Wilson » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:52 pm

lolafg wrote:ps: Didn't you say that you would work in the 2.1 version ?

...this is a definite possibility. I have done some work on this and there only appears to be 32 bytes of extra code - the only concern I have is if there are any new 'cracker traps'.

Do you know what the bug fixes are in 2.1?