Throw In 0.85 - DOWNLOAD here!

This forum is dedicated to the new football game Active Soccer (and Throw In) by TheFoxSoft.

Moderators: TheFoxSoft, Moderators, TheFoxSoft, Moderators

TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:53 am

Ely wrote:I see you replied to Spyros about the slow menus. So just for reference I am using a very old Gfx Card (GF4 Ti4600 128Mb), thought I'd mention it in case it helps you at all. It's an odd one though given the nature if the menus.

Oh one other thing which although very small and not really a problem to
me. When I installed the game the installer put the last Dir I'd used for something else as the place it was going to install it. I think maybe you need to add something in the code to make it put something like C:\ThrowIn otherwise some people might miss this. As I say for most people it's not something to worry about but if it's an easy fix it just adds to the quality of the thing.

Keep up the great work though :)

good idea about the c:\ThrowIn directory.
However i hope you enojyed the ingame match

Gianluca
snader
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby snader » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:29 pm

TheFoxSoft wrote:
snader wrote:
TheFoxSoft wrote:it's so strange Arsenall is working to me.
It was probably also caused by the key alterations in the game, because I just reinstalled and it works fine now.
MikeDomingues
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby MikeDomingues » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Hey Gianluca !

Very nice work !
Here's some constructive criticism:

-The goalkeepers while sometimes they do some very nice saves, most of the times they let everything in. Most of the games I play end like 6-6 because of them.

-In the easy control mode (very nice addition by the way) things get a little bit chaotic.

-The AI even at it's lowest level is unbeatable (even with the easy control mode). I think you should make add more levels of dificulty.

-The already mentioned painfully slow menus. I'd suggest you to recode the menus from scratch as just speeding up the things a bit isn't going to be enough for most users.

Overall you have a pretty solid and enjoyable game there and I must say it's faithful to KO 2, but if you get to fix the issues above, I'm sure you'll have one hell of a game. :)
filippodb
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Location: Supposed to be in Rome (but usually in Venice - Italy)

Postby filippodb » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:00 am

I Just want to let you know that today Throw in broke the wall of 4000 downloads :shock: :shock:

An average of 600 downloads/daily and with an impressive record of 1,476 downloads only on Sunday!!
I'm wondering if somebody put a link on some important website around the web. Anyway Good Work! :D
rapTor_sonofsuns

Postby rapTor_sonofsuns » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:13 am

filippodb wrote:I Just want to let you know that today Throw in broke the wall of 4000 downloads :shock: :shock:

An average of 600 downloads/daily and with an impressive record of 1,476 downloads only on Sunday!!
I'm wondering if somebody put a link on some important website around the web. Anyway Good Work! :D

i did some advertisement among friends and gamer groups in facebook :lol: but i think this huge numbers are from sensible soccer community
i learned playing kick off , before learning how to read and how to write.. birthdate : 19.07.1984
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:06 am

filippodb wrote:I Just want to let you know that today Throw in broke the wall of 4000 downloads :shock: :shock:

great results so far, i didn't even post in important websites!
filippodb
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Location: Supposed to be in Rome (but usually in Venice - Italy)

Postby filippodb » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:19 am

I'm investigating, sensible community helped a lot but I see only 1,232 readers on SWOS forum and on SS.DE was quite ignored (50 readers)

On italian and english KO forum we had more than 600 reader (so 1200+ readers from the whole KO community)

An overall of 2500 thread readers from retrosoccer communities and "readers" are not exactly downloaders, so someone had hotlinked thegame in some incredible popular website, I bet in some PES or FIFA forum :shock:
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:41 am

if found this link
http://clpblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/thr ... emake.html

but i doubt i get 3000 downloads from there
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:45 am

This one also.

http://www.sensibleita.com/index.php?op ... 19&id=4144

but only 16 reads so far. :)
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby John Wilson » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:54 am

Great work Gianluca!

Here's a brief review my Throw In experience so far:

What I really like:
  • The graphical style of the players. They really are like a 3D representation of Kick Off's original players. Other games (e.g KO2002) try to make the players too realistic and the end result is not convincing - there's no way you could make a properly proportioned human perform the skills shown by 'Kick Off Man' (KO-mo Sapiens??).
  • The Ace control system - again, very close to Kick Off
  • The automatic replays and highlights at the end of the game - nice touch!
  • The crowd noise - I know some have criticised this but it sounds convincing to me.
  • I'm not sure if it's coincidence but the keepers appear to tip the ball around the post when making a diving save. Much better than Fisher's efforts who tends to parry the ball back to oncoming attackers.

What I'd like to see in future versions:
  • I know you are tackling the slow menu issue but what I'd like is to be able to navigate using the joystick so there's no need to switch between joystick and mouse.
  • Ace control method: As I've said it's a very good representation of the KO2 control system. However it doesn't seem quite as 'crisp', particularly when dribbling. It's more noticable from the 'top-down' view where it is some times tricky to trap the ball or perform quick turns. Sorry I can't be more specific - I'll have a go in practice mode and see if I can come up with more detail.

Overall it's a fantastic effort - it puts some software that gets boxed up and sold to shame.
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:22 am

MikeDomingues wrote:Hey Gianluca !

Very nice work !
Here's some constructive criticism:

-The goalkeepers while sometimes they do some very nice saves, most of the times they let everything in. Most of the games I play end like 6-6 because of them.

-In the easy control mode (very nice addition by the way) things get a little bit chaotic.

-The AI even at it's lowest level is unbeatable (even with the easy control mode). I think you should make add more levels of dificulty.

-The already mentioned painfully slow menus. I'd suggest you to recode the menus from scratch as just speeding up the things a bit isn't going to be enough for most users.

Overall you have a pretty solid and enjoyable game there and I must say it's faithful to KO 2, but if you get to fix the issues above, I'm sure you'll have one hell of a game. :)

Thanks for your comments Mike.
I know what you mean about CPU unbeatable, of course it's a matter of taste. I personally don't find the game difficult but of course programmer's opinion doesn't count. In the next few days the version 0.86 will have CPU more "forgiving" on shooting and you will not conceed the same goal twice.
About menu i have no speed problems but i guess i must thank my good GFX card. I'll rework on menu from scratch soon or late.

thanks for your feedback
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:30 am

Concerning the menus, the speed problems can be divided in two parts:
- Screen update speed. In my lowly ATI 9600XT, with the resolution set to 1024x768x32, you can clearly see the jerkiness in the movement of the mouse pointer. Changing this to 16bits color depth made a big difference, but still, it's just menus! :)
- Responsiveness when making choices: When you click for example the "Continue" button in the CL mode, you have to wait for a few seconds (say 10-15) for the interface to do something (i.e. display the next page with the fixtures). This delay, coupled with the fact that there is no interface feedback on what goes on, makes it feel sluggish.
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:06 pm

John Wilson wrote:What I really like:
  • The graphical style of the players. They really are like a 3D representation of Kick Off's original players. Other games (e.g KO2002) try to make the players too realistic and the end result is not convincing - there's no way you could make a properly proportioned human perform the skills shown by 'Kick Off Man' (KO-mo Sapiens??).

As I already told in other post i think Danne did a professional job better than some professional games

John Wilson wrote:
  • The Ace control system - again, very close to Kick Off

• I know it's not a perfect copy of KO2 but i think i never played a game with such similar ball control

John Wilson wrote:
  • The crowd noise - I know some have criticised this but it sounds convincing to me.

• Again, thanks Danne
    I don't think people criticized it, i think they wanted just modding the sounds.

John Wilson wrote:
  • I'm not sure if it's coincidence but the keepers appear to tip the ball around the post when making a diving save. Much better than Fisher's efforts who tends to parry the ball back to oncoming attackers.

• it's not a coincidence, glad you spot it 8)

John Wilson wrote:What I'd like to see in future versions:
    • I know you are tackling the slow menu issue but what I'd like is to be able to navigate using the joystick so there's no need to switch between joystick and mouse.

it is doable

John Wilson wrote:
  • Ace control method: As I've said it's a very good representation of the KO2 control system. However it doesn't seem quite as 'crisp', particularly when dribbling. It's more noticable from the 'top-down' view where it is some times tricky to trap the ball or perform quick turns. Sorry I can't be more specific - I'll have a go in practice mode and see if I can come up with more detail.

• Overall it's a fantastic effort - it puts some software that gets boxed up and sold to shame.

i don't understand what you mean exactly
    Thanks for your kind words