Online League sign-up

Talk about on-line Kick Off

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Noodlebug

Online League sign-up

Postby Noodlebug » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:28 am

I was reading the May tournament thread and I don't see why we cannot start an online league as soon as we get a decent number of people committed. So I hereby invite anyone interested to sign up here! We'll start it after the UK Championships (if we have more than 4 or 5 participants by then).

Please also post what times you are MOST available and what times you are NEVER available - certain fixtures may turn out to be difficult to arrange if not impossible! If you want to post MSN/ICQ etc contact details for ease of arranging fixtures, feel free.

I suppose matches can be played at any time in any sequence until everyone has played each other once. We can rustle up a fixture list if people want some sort of structure to arranging games, but the precise timing of each game must be down to the two players concerned, and if you want to skip a fixture, or just play whichever fixture is immediately convenient, that's fine too. If someone falls too far behind with their fixtures we can vote to expel them from the league and expunge their results!

Obviously all games must be completed, either player should be able to void/replay a game affected by lag and results must be confirmed by both players (or the losing player) - alternatively we could arrange an independent arbiter to watch each match if people are going to be awkward! I guess normal CV settings/rules apply, whatever those are.

Any suggestions or discussion on format, rules etc is welcome, at the minute I'm working on the basis "lets just see how it goes..."

I can currently make myself available for a specific match any time (including daytimes!) other than 1500-2000 GMT weekdays - but that might change in July if I get a job I'm after!

Anyone signing up isn't committing to that many games - if we get 12 people that's 11 games each. And arranging a suitable time to play each given opponent in turn shouldn't be that arduous! We'll see how it goes.
-----------------------------
Newbie for 12 years
Silver Cup runner up 2017
Bronze Cup and Best Defence runner up 2018
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:52 pm

Count me in, from 9pm UK time any night is good for me.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:45 pm

me too, i m usually online around 9-10pm gmt, you can find on the irc chatroom, type !kickoff to know when i m online (i have set up a little script to arrange my matches )
alternatively, we can use the forum personal messages to work on it ^^

I'm also ready to help people to set up emulators, using fair servers with a decent ping for both players (btw, posting your location in this thread might help) , being referree if needed, and helping for the whole organization :)
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Re: Online League sign-up

Postby Danne » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:14 pm

Noodlebug wrote:I was reading the May tournament thread and I don't see why we cannot start an online league as soon as we get a decent number of people committed. So I hereby invite anyone interested to sign up here! We'll start it after the UK Championships (if we have more than 4 or 5 participants by then).

Please also post what times you are MOST available and what times you are NEVER available - certain fixtures may turn out to be difficult to arrange if not impossible! If you want to post MSN/ICQ etc contact details for ease of arranging fixtures, feel free.

I suppose matches can be played at any time in any sequence until everyone has played each other once. We can rustle up a fixture list if people want some sort of structure to arranging games, but the precise timing of each game must be down to the two players concerned, and if you want to skip a fixture, or just play whichever fixture is immediately convenient, that's fine too. If someone falls too far behind with their fixtures we can vote to expel them from the league and expunge their results!

Obviously all games must be completed, either player should be able to void/replay a game affected by lag and results must be confirmed by both players (or the losing player) - alternatively we could arrange an independent arbiter to watch each match if people are going to be awkward! I guess normal CV settings/rules apply, whatever those are.

Any suggestions or discussion on format, rules etc is welcome, at the minute I'm working on the basis "lets just see how it goes..."

I can currently make myself available for a specific match any time (including daytimes!) other than 1500-2000 GMT weekdays - but that might change in July if I get a job I'm after!

Anyone signing up isn't committing to that many games - if we get 12 people that's 11 games each. And arranging a suitable time to play each given opponent in turn shouldn't be that arduous! We'll see how it goes.

Is this a one evening/week torunament?

The summertime is hectic and cant participae if this is a weekly thing.
Noodlebug

Re: Online League sign-up

Postby Noodlebug » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:36 pm

Danne wrote:
Is this a one evening/week torunament?

The summertime is hectic and cant participae if this is a weekly thing.

The timescale is flexible, theoretically you could play all your fixtures at once if you can get hold of everyone. Or just as and when you're available. No problem going a week or two without playing any fixtures as long as you catch up!

How long it lasts will depend on how many people and how quickly the slowest person gets through their fixture list.
Newbie for 12 years
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:33 pm

This thread is still active !

We just need a few more people to come and play online kick off with us !!

Give it a try, when you have the time, and if you like it, then join us :)
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:53 am

My research at the UK Championships shows most of the top players will not come online to play because

a) they don't need to, they have tournaments every other week
b) it messes up their timing, they have to get used to an almost imperceptible but significant difference in joystick response time.

There may be some truth in this, as it took me a while to start playing to my usual standard (there may have been other factors in play), but I think some of my later results (particularly in the warm-down tournament) show that any timing issues can be overcome with spirit and determination by players who are good enough! (I know Gianluca is also happy to play online games).

There was interest in at least trying out the online game from the German contingent and the KOBRA bunch so there may be scope for occasional one off tournaments.

However, I do not think there is sufficient interest, will or desire for a substantial ongoing league.
Newbie for 12 years
Loul
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Loul » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:09 am

Noodlebug wrote:There was interest in at least trying out the online game from the German contingent and the KOBRA bunch so there may be scope for occasional one off tournaments.

However, I do not think there is sufficient interest, will or desire for a substantial ongoing league.

Anyway I don't really see the point to set up a league.
Even if you feel different, you can take pleasure playing kick off for other purposes than only beating your opponent.

In that perspective friendlies shouldn't be sacrified to some sort of league.

Still organising online tournaments is definitely a good idea considering it's a very good way to play fiercely against other experimented players from every countries without the time and money needed for traveling.

In fact the word league relates to many back to season long competitions.

This is far different from a "cup" spirit.
I think it's far more reasonnable and desirable to focus on some kind of exceptionnal saturday or sunday afternoon competitions that could please everybody.
Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges. (T. Pratchett)