Making a sports game

This forum is dedicated to the new football game Active Soccer (and Throw In) by TheFoxSoft.

Moderators: TheFoxSoft, Moderators

Fred187
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:16 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Making a sports game

Postby Fred187 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:00 pm

Was just wanting some advice from FoxSoft; I've been wanting to make a 3D rugby game for a while, and jus wanted to know what you used to get this game started (did you bild it from scratch, or use a game engine)? Also, is anyone else interested in making a rugby game? (My coding skills are limited).
TheFoxSoft
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4210
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Re: Making a sports game

Postby TheFoxSoft » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:58 pm

Fred187 wrote:Was just wanting some advice from FoxSoft; I've been wanting to make a 3D rugby game for a while, and jus wanted to know what you used to get this game started (did you bild it from scratch, or use a game engine)? Also, is anyone else interested in making a rugby game? (My coding skills are limited).


i'm using Blitz3D is an easy tool for developing games. I recommend it especially for beginners
Fred187
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:16 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Postby Fred187 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:54 pm

I think I fancy the Ogre engine (seeing as it's free). I'll need to touch up on my C++ skills first. Cheers, anyway.
User avatar
jesper
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!
Posts: 1814
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:19 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Postby jesper » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:16 pm

You don't need to go through the pain of using C++. Ogre have several bindings to alternative languages:
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Al ... _Languages

I think Fox did a really clever choice of using Blitz3D. He had playable version of Throw In out in no time.

I know the scale is very different, but if you compare with World of Football that project is still vaporware more that 2 and a half year after its initial announcement. WoF started out using Ogre but at some point to switched to their own engine using C++ and Direct3D. Not sure about their current status, but so far we have only seen screenshots and a few prerendered animations. Very nice screenshots, but still...
You cannot avoid the Google [Bot]
User avatar
Menace
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!
Posts: 1304
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:45 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Postby Menace » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:44 am

jesper wrote:but so far we have only seen screenshots and a few prerendered animations. Very nice screenshots, but still...


Sorry, I gotta call you on this - you're wrong.. We've had an in-game movie on our site for almost a year now. WOF can hardly be classified as vapour ware when we're still actively working on it - I don't update the WOF forum here very often but if you follow events at our blog and our forum you would know that a new movie is coming up soon showcasing our intelligent camera.
Dennis Hansen - http://protomenace.wordpress.com
Creative Director - http://www.bigbitegames.com

'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea' Eric Cantona
Fred187
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:16 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Postby Fred187 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:11 pm

From the look of it, Blitz is solid, it's mainly just a case of me not wanting to spend money on a project which I intend to release for free. This is all hugely distant, however; I first need to fully teach myself a programming language (I think I'll do C++, simply due to the fact that it is so diverse, and widely used), when I'm adept at using that, then I'll seriously consider which engine to use, but we're talking years here (unless programming turns out to be really esy, or I turn out to be a genius, neither of which are hugely likely). Anyway, cheers for the advice.
User avatar
elyorch
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Spain, Bilbao

Re: Making a sports game

Postby elyorch » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:17 pm

TheFoxSoft wrote:
Fred187 wrote:Was just wanting some advice from FoxSoft; I've been wanting to make a 3D rugby game for a while, and jus wanted to know what you used to get this game started (did you bild it from scratch, or use a game engine)? Also, is anyone else interested in making a rugby game? (My coding skills are limited).


i'm using Blitz3D is an easy tool for developing games. I recommend it especially for beginners


FoxSoft, what did you now about programming before making this game with Blitz3D? I'm making a Football Manager remake in C (just text mode), and I'd love to do an arcade football game later, but I don't know if I'll be capable of...
Matchday 2 & Spectrum forever!
TheFoxSoft
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4210
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Postby TheFoxSoft » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:41 pm

i started to program since i was 10 y.o. or something about :)
User avatar
elyorch
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Spain, Bilbao

Postby elyorch » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:46 pm

TheFoxSoft wrote:i started to program since i was 10 y.o. or something about :)


Thanks, then I will not be able... :(


:wink: :wink:
Matchday 2 & Spectrum forever!
TheFoxSoft
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4210
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Postby TheFoxSoft » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:05 pm

elyorch wrote:
TheFoxSoft wrote:i started to program since i was 10 y.o. or something about :)


Thanks, then I will not be able... :(


Blitz3D is really easy, give it a try
User avatar
elyorch
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Spain, Bilbao

Postby elyorch » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:17 pm

TheFoxSoft wrote:
elyorch wrote:
TheFoxSoft wrote:i started to program since i was 10 y.o. or something about :)


Thanks, then I will not be able... :(


Blitz3D is really easy, give it a try


I'll give it a try, sure, sometime... What languages did you now before programming with Blitz?
Matchday 2 & Spectrum forever!
User avatar
snader
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The Netherlands

Postby snader » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:33 am

TheFoxSoft wrote:i started to program since i was 10 y.o. or something about :)
Me too, on my MSX 8-bit computer. But time has always been my problem. Blitz is pretty good for these kind of games by the way; and pretty good fun because you can have quick results. Blitz3D is also frequently used to try out concepts and gameplay before the idea is integrated in a new game (i've heard).
User avatar
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sweden

Postby Danne » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:56 am

Is expensive games like FIFA 2007 programmed with the same language and tools as Throw In and Kick Off 2002?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests