How to score in KO, beginners section

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:24 am

There's a lot of bugs isn't there!! Come on Camber sort them out ;)
NewEly - He is here sometimes...................
http://www.wayoftherodent.com
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:30 am

Well, I disagree with the (no efficient defense) part for almost every goal described above expect the penalty kicks. Only those who are fond of making excuses convince themselves that some goals are impossible to defend. You can defend against every single move in Kick Off.

I had made a simple tutorial with KO replays years ago. I think it's time I updated it and made a video out of it.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:34 am

Vasilis (VKafiris) was joking in that post, trying to prove that all goals more or less come from bugs or vulnerabilities or idiosyncracies in the game AI and thus there's no reason to complain for a specific goal as "taking advantage of a bug".

The KO2 practice mode can be very effective in trying these goals.

Nikos goals (or Camber goals or Simon goals or whatever) are a diagonal "half lob". Getting the timing right is quite tricky. I'm sure Steve Camber will write the "Art and Zen of Lobbing" when he gets the time and explain everything.

No5 I think refers to a diagonal pass towards the gap between the two central defenders. If the defending player is not cautious, player control will switch leaving the attacker with a goal opportunity.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:45 am

Oh I get it, that must have been during that period when Nikos was trying to ban every Kick Off goal but his. :lol:
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:04 am

Haakon wrote:Oh, so Simon and Camber does that too. I did'nt play them in the WC.
But really, they don't look like the ordinary lobs...

I guess they don't look like ordinary lobs because the pulling-back of the stick is instantaneous and thus the ball has less height. In fact, it has exactly the height that it beyond the reach of the keeper's hands, but the AI dictates to him that he can reach it and thus he doesn't jump! :)
uncle_colin

Re: How to score in KO, beginners section

Postby uncle_colin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:09 am

Haakon wrote:
[i]1. BLC (no efficient defense)

Wonka scored 8 of these in my only match against him. The other two were lobs.
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:20 am

I'm officially useless, but I'll try and help nonetheless. Practice mode is quite useful to attempt some stuff.

Ok, idea #1: Get the goalie to leave his posts. On his line, the goalie can save a lot of shots. However, while he's running out (and before he actually gets to the ball), he's vulnerable. So a typical KO2 goal is to trap the ball (which wastes valauble time, but is easier for beginners, I believe) in the "sweet spot" pretty much in the middle between the edge of the box and the penalty spot. This will draw the keeper out and thus give you a good scoring chance. Trapping makes this easier because you then have more control over what you're doing next. A standard variation is to take a step to one side and then shoot it straight into the net. Another is to take a couple more steps and shoot it diagonally into the net. I'll draw up a diagram if you need it. :) In fact, alone vs the goalie it's really quite simple then to just walk the ball into the net if you like. Drawing the goalie out can work in a number of ways. Try, for example, to just run into the area diagonallyand as the keeper is coming out, to simply shoot. This works better if you leave the ball a bit of room - so "tap it" and leave it running ahead, give the ball just a bit of space, you'll catch up with it again. The keeper will save it at times, but you'll get the right idea: If the keeper is on the move, he's more vulnerable.

idea #2: The opposite. If the keeper thinks he can catch the ball on his line, he'll adjust himself accordingly and just stay there. Be there before him and you'll score. This is obvious with headers after diagonal crosses. So find the right spot for a diagonal cross that the keeper can save at the far post - and be there with your striker in the middle of the goal mouth first - whether you then shoot or head it straight ahead, it's rather seldom that the keeper can still save it. It doesn't need to be a cross - if you can intercept a shot towards the far corner (needs a bit of luck/possibly skill, don't aks me) it'll have the same effect.

idea #3: Lobs. :) The art of lobbing has a simple goal - it needs the right height so the useless keeper can't save it. The sweet spot as far as I can tell is not right below the bar (he will jump up to save that), but just over his head. Theoretically, you can lob from straight on (perpendicular), from the diagonal or even near the corner (parallel), though that'll need a bit of aftertouch. Of course, using aftertouch means there are theoretically lots of places to lob from, but you'll have to get it just right and some players (like Barrett and Scott) who can't really shoot straight will need a lot of luck to get it right. This is really a question of timing. Personally, again, I find I have better control if I manage to trap the ball first. This goes especially for the shorter diagonal lobs from just outside the area.

idea #4: Exploit the goalie's weakness on the Barrett side (the goalie's right as seen from his point of view). Basically, try the following - run into the box diagonally from that side (preferably not with Barrett himself, but even he'll do the trick) and shoot when you reach the six yard box, not sooner. Try it a few times and you'll see what I mean. And generally shots into that corner of the goal have betetr chances of going in than from the other side - though the latter is certainly not impossible.

idea #5: A curled shot into the goal from near the goal line. As seen on the big screen. :) This shot is troublesome for the keeper, especially if it is very low (will go beneath him) or fairly high (will go above flying Fischer, something Spyros can do but I cannot), or if it curls just into the near corner or of course, if the goalie is even behind his goal. For that latter, he'll have to believe the ball is running too far and will end up as a goal kick. Similar to what I said towards the end of #1 you can practice giving the ball some space, tapping it ahead and waiting a fraction of a second to chase it (not the usual "tap, tap, tap"). You should be able to see how the goalie ends up in his net and if you then manage any curled shot before the ball runs out for a goal kick, it's pretty much a certain goal.

Try those and then return for more ideas.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:13 am

alkis21 wrote: I think it's time I updated it and made a video out of it.

Great idea Alkis. I know of a good deal of these goals, but the execution of them is harder to learn when just reading about them. Your tutorial has been very helpful to me, but a video would be a definate help. A very important factor is not only the execution of the goal itself, but also how you play up to it; the moves you do to get in the correct position.
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:08 pm

Great thread you've started, Haakon! :) Thanks to those who have responded so far (esp Tripod!) and look forward to other players coming forward with more tips too! 8) With a few more insights I'll link to this from the 'Improve Your KO2 Skills' thread too.

alkis21 wrote:I had made a simple tutorial with KO replays years ago. I think it's time I updated it and made a video out of it.

Yes please, Alkis! :D
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!