KO2CV - 0.85

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

KO2CV - 0.85

Postby Steve Camber » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:31 pm

http://www.camber.demon.co.uk/KO2CV

KO2CV085.zip

The main addition is an extension of the main menu system. Just select "Options" and you can then go on to the standard options screen, or enter the KO2CV options area which consists of multiple menu pages. Currently there are two, with page 1 being fundamental changes, and page 2 being silly (fun) changes. A lot of work has gone into creating the menu system, and it is now ready for the easy part - adding menu options. I've only spent a little time adding these options, so it's only the beginning.
By the next release an extra feature to reset all options to default will be available to undo all the changes and return the game to a tournament friendly state.

Changes:

- Team name, direction of play, and formation all displayed on pause screen. I'm always forgetting which way I'm playing after a game interruption!
- "Single Game" highlighted on start up. Just think of the combined time saved over the years.. seconds!!
- New KO2CV Options menu. Something to please everyone here.
- A=B / A>B selectable - For the crazy retro freaks.
- PBD Madness mode - A PBD lover's dream.
- Low/High gravity modes - Fill the ball with light helium or heavy lead. Hmm, maybe the keeper can score a lob now?
- Alternative number display - No real reason for this! Just found an alternative set of numbers in the font, alone and unused for all these years.
- Confirmation is required to quit when ESC is pressed during a game - No more accidental gameovers when fumbling for formation keys.
- When accidentally selecting International Friendly, just go to "Done" to avoid having to select teams and start a match - I'm always falling for this one.

Please report any bugs, or give suggestions for new options.
Last edited by Steve Camber on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
Il_Maestro

Re: KO2CV - 0.85

Postby Il_Maestro » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:42 pm

Steve Camber wrote:- Confirmation is required to quit when ESC is pressed during a game - No more accidental gameovers when fumbling for formation keys.

brilliant! Great Camber :wink:
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:28 pm

All brilliant ideas. Lovely work as usual Steve - I can't wait to test it! Image
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:56 pm

I love you Steve Camber!

Will you be my dad?
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:26 pm

All this almost makes me forget that he lobs!
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:04 pm

Abyss wrote:All this almost makes me forget that he lobs!
He'd have to remove PBD to make me forget that! :lol:
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:26 am

Steve, can we think of any reason why we would not be using this in Manchester for UKC06? There's nothing contentious is there? All the settings we would use are selected by default, yes?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:40 am

Robert Swift wrote:Steve, can we think of any reason why we would not be using this in Manchester for UKC06? There's nothing contentious is there? All the settings we would use are selected by default, yes?

Naturally all the defaults are the desired settings for our competitions, and I expect we'll be using this one in Manchester.
--
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: KO2CV - 0.85

Postby gdh82 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:38 pm

Fantastic work, Steve - most impressed! The extra menus will increase the scope of future changes/settings tremendously.

Have to admit I was, however, slightly dubious about the 'fun' options when I read about them. Whereas the the low gravity game is completely wacky, forever waiting for the ball to the drop, the high gravity game is suprisingly enjoyable! Its like playing a super soggy pitch (just how I like it :D). I love the way the ball isn't always running away (I know, I'm Mr Low-Skill-Can-Only-Play-On-A-Soggy-Pitch compared to some of you guys), but this option actually forces more of a passing game!!!

Steve Camber wrote:- Team name, direction of play, and formation all displayed on pause screen. I'm always forgetting which way I'm playing after a game interruption!

I completely agree about forgetting which way I'm playing - this happens to me all the time (how dare the kids bother me when I'm playing KO2 :lol: ). Is it at all possible to include some kind of in-game indicator so you don't have to pause the game ? I'm not thinking of the coloured arrows which could be distracting. I even wondered if the score could be displayed vertically instead of horizontally, with the top score for the team kicking down ? How possible is this, Steve ? (If you know what I mean?)

Steve Camber wrote:- "Single Game" highlighted on start up. Just think of the combined time saved over the years.. seconds!!
- Confirmation is required to quit when ESC is pressed during a game - No more accidental gameovers when fumbling for formation keys.
- When accidentally selecting International Friendly, just go to "Done" to avoid having to select teams and start a match - I'm always falling for this one.

Good to see these changes too - small details but add to the user-friendliness of the game. Cheers.

Another little detail but a minor irritation for me. Its great having the multi-speed replays but I often press the speed button once too often when changing the speed from normal to very-slow, and end cycling through the various speeds numerous times! I wondered if you could include some kind of on-screen indicator to show which speed I was on? Something simple like '.' or '*' after the word "REPLAY" and the more '*' the slower the speed ? Bit like a dvd player. Just a thought...

Anyway, haven't tried out all the changes yet but thanks again for the new update - always great to see the latest incarnation of KO2 :D
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback Garry!

Interesting idea about repositioning the scores. It's simple enough to do but this may well be too much of a visual change for many of us. Personally, I think a quick tap of the pause key while the ball is out of play should be enough, but if there is sufficient backing for your suggestion it could happen.

I haven't played a low or high gravity game yet, only a quick kickabout to check they both worked... and of course was horrified to see lobs go hardly any distance! If you think the gravity values need tweaking, just say. For now I just halved the gravity for light, and doubled it for high.

Some visual feedback on the replay speed is already planned. So many changes, so little time ;)

Oh, and get yourself to the next UK champs in Manchester!
http://www.ko-gathering.com/phpbb2/view ... hp?t=12213
--

filippodb
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Location: Supposed to be in Rome (but usually in Venice - Italy)

Postby filippodb » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:59 pm

the high gravity is incredible funny!! I kind 100% agree wirth gdh82, I always loved soggy, it gives more natural control over the ball on all the field, the higher gravity makes the ball even more close to player and make impossible stupid long shoot and lobs!!!!
Brilliant mode for those who love to play with the ball always on the ground (ie like real football and not like waterpolo :lol:)

It'll be perfect to play on handheld devices too! Also I want to ask on extra "handheld" device mode with: 75% speed, high gravity and *cough* PBD on, so it'll be possible to play more easily KO2 also on smartphone, PDAs and PSP, Gp2x in the future (and maybe gain more players....)

also I'll love to add the statistics on pause screen and maybe see the names of scorers and yellow/red cards :)
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:07 pm

FFS Camber give Filippo his 75% speed, he's been asking it ever since I met him (5 year ago)! :)
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:09 pm

filippodb wrote:also I'll love to add the statistics on pause screen and maybe see the names of scorers and yellow/red cards :)

Also planned, and soon to appear :)

75%.. dammit, ok!! I'm not promising anything, but I'll have a look :wink:
--