Is there any way to make more 500k+ players appear?

This forum is dedicated to the original version of Player Manager

Moderator: Moderators

Bursk
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Is there any way to make more 500k+ players appear?

Postby Bursk » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:27 pm

It's always exciting to start a new season and see what world-class players are available to buy. It's then very dissapointing to find that there'll be maybe one or two, or possibly none! :shock:

Is there anything I can do, be it a certain way of configuring UAE (maybe more RAM would mean more players?) or a hex edit of my data disk, to make more high-quality players available for transfer?
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:07 pm

More RAM will certainly do nothing for what you want, and neither will a change in the WinUAE configuration. You might succeed in altering the data of your currently available players with a Hex Editor, but not the ones of the new transfers that will appear each season. Basically, all you can do is resign, reload and start a new season again and again until you see a player you like.
We hope that our hacker Steve Camber will pick up Player Manager some day and do any change we want him to do. Currently, he's only working on Kick Off 2.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:55 pm

What Alkis said.

Play with a hex editor on the ADF for now. Making more high quality players available for transfer sounds like a simple change, so expect that to make an appearance once work on PM begins.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
Bursk
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Bursk » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:47 am

Oooh, thank you both for your help. I look forward to the enhanced version of PM.

One question I do have, is whether or not you'll be using the CAPS ipf version as a basis to work from (if such a thing is possible). When using the adf version I've found a number of bugs, including some of my players scoring 15 goals in a match according to the match summary screen, and the more serious problem of penalty shootouts being ruined if I sub a player who would've otherwise taken a penalty.

I never ran into any of these bugs when I played PM on my Amiga back in the day (I had a bought, original disk), nor when using the ipf version, so does this mean the adf version is cracked and buggy?
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:08 am

I`ve played more than 200 seasons with my original team that I started with in 1990 and I used an original copy of PM.. and both those bugs are there I`m afraid.. the sub and 15 goals :(

Anco eh ? :lol: :lol:
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:25 am

These bugs are surely fixable. The penalty shootout problem sounds familiar, I'm sure that's in KO2 as well!
--
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Bursk
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Bursk » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:46 pm

I don't doubt what you're saying, Stainy, but I can honestly say that I never, ever ran into either of those problems when I played PM on my Amiga. And I played a lot of PM.

Also, when I use the CAPS ipf version, I don't have the problem. If I use e.g. this version - http://www.ko-gathering.com/downloads/a ... r_1.2e.zip
I get the 15 goals problem on a frequent basis and the penalty problem every game.

If they can be easily fixed, it doesn't matter anyway.

Thanks again for the help.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:39 pm

How many versions of PM are there out there? We've not had a PM version war (yet!) so it would be good to find out before choosing an ADF/IPF to begin analysing.
--

alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:47 pm

The penalty shootout problem Bursk is talking about does not appear in Kick Off 2, Steve!
Bursk, while you're waiting would you settle for a Player Manager version with the Kick Off 2 Normal pitch instead of the Kick Off 1 one? Because that one is ready. :)
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Bursk
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Bursk » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:01 pm

alkis21 wrote:The penalty shootout problem Bursk is talking about does not appear in Kick Off 2, Steve!
Bursk, while you're waiting would you settle for a Player Manager version with the Kick Off 2 Normal pitch instead of the Kick Off 1 one? Because that one is ready. :)

Yeah, I tried that a while ago and liked it a lot. I can't remember whether I experienced the penalty bug in that version.

The reason why I say I never had the penalty or 15 goals by a player who didn't score bugs when I played on my Amiga, and why I am certain of this, is because it came as a huge surprise to play the adf version and find these problems with it.

Like I said, the ipf version doesn't exibit these problems, so it's just like the version I used to play on my Amiga. My disk had a dark blue label with (I think) white letters saying 'Player Manager', but I realise this probably means very little.
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:26 pm

Not enough 500k+ players at the start of the season?

Simply reload the save you just made at the end of the previous season, then start the season again, until you are satisfied!
Bursk
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Bursk » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:09 am

I just tried the Kick Off 2 pitch version of PM, and the loadsa goals bug is present in that version, too. Another bug I've noticed that isn't in the ipf version is that the 'we have a lot of spare cash and suggest you use it...' screen is messed up. The 's' in suggest appears at a weird location on the screen. As I said, this is another bug that doesn't seem to be in the CAPS ipf version.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:57 am

alkis21 wrote:The penalty shootout problem Bursk is talking about does not appear in Kick Off 2, Steve!

I'm sure I've come across this in KO2. The last time was probably a long time ago on Atari ST vs James. Usually in a lengthy penalty shootout after an injury/red card, a player won't come up to take the next kick, and the game gets stuck. Maybe it's all fixed already in 1.4e anyway :)
--