Is there any way to edit the database in PM?

This forum is dedicated to the original version of Player Manager

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

magnificus
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Is there any way to edit the database in PM?

Postby magnificus » Thu May 26, 2005 3:36 pm

I would like to make "my own spanish game" so I have to modify the names database. Is there any way to do it?

8)
filippodb
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Location: Supposed to be in Rome (but usually in Venice - Italy)

Postby filippodb » Thu May 26, 2005 4:27 pm

well vag, alkis and steve camber are expert on this kind of editing, you can take a look also at the kick off guide to translate kick off games on wikickoff here:

http://www.kickoffworld.net/wiki/index.php?title=Text
magnificus
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby magnificus » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:07 pm

I tried with HexEditor to replace the original surnames for Spanish surnames (followed by a . as it's originally written) and save the file.

Then I start Winuae, make a new league and when I go to the transfer list or to see my squad, and the screen becomes blurred.

Anyone knows why is this happening? In the editor, I have occupied the same space it was written before.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:25 am

At a guess..

The hex editor you are using displays "." for characters it can't properly display.

Each name must end with a ZERO byte. If you are putting in a dot "." character at the end of names then that may look the same to you in the hex editor, but the amiga will get very confused as it is not ZERO.

If this is the case then replace occurences of "2E" with "00" in the hex column.

I hope that fixes it!!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
magnificus
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby magnificus » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:46 am

Great! Thanks. It worked perfectly.
I think that if I want to translate the texts, I have to substitute the spanish text fitting in the original one, right?

Now I'm thinking on translating the whole game. Anyone interested?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:44 pm

Yes, go crazy with the rest of the text! Just try to avoid exceeding the existing text size limit :)
--
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

magnificus
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby magnificus » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:31 pm

Yes, I've just seen what you mean. The results on my first try were not as I was expect to be. All the phrases aren't where they supposed to be.

I'll keep on trying. 8)
fritez
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby fritez » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:53 pm

magnificus wrote:I tried with HexEditor to replace the original surnames for Spanish surnames (followed by a . as it's originally written) and save the file.

Then I start Winuae, make a new league and when I go to the transfer list or to see my squad, and the screen becomes blurred.

Anyone knows why is this happening? In the editor, I have occupied the same space it was written before.

hey how can u edit the names and in what game??
fritez
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby fritez » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:13 am

magnificus wrote:I tried with HexEditor to replace the original surnames for Spanish surnames (followed by a . as it's originally written) and save the file.

do you know if anyone have an updated version of KO or GOAL! to download??
magnificus
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby magnificus » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:28 am

I edit the names in player manager replacing the original for spanish ones. I have only done this with the names, because when I tried to substitute the other text or phrases, the whole game became unreadable.
fritez
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby fritez » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:09 pm

magnificus wrote:I edit the names in player manager replacing the original for spanish ones. I have only done this with the names, because when I tried to substitute the other text or phrases, the whole game became unreadable.

So u have edited the player and team names to the latest update, with english language??
Vag

Postby Vag » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:07 pm

Steve Camber wrote:Just try to avoid exceeding the existing text size limit :)

In fact, there is a way to exceed the limits. Generally, it depends on the game but in most cases you will need to find pointers. These are values that point to the beginning of a text string. If you move the text inside the rom, you have to change the pointer value accordingly. I found pointers in Kick off 2 (not by calculating them though, by experience), so it may be possible to do it in Player manager as well.

If you really want to do hack Player Manager, you better read my tutorial about Kick off 2 rom hacking, it will help you.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:40 pm

In KO2 the pointers to the text strings get calculated at run time, so you can change the position of the separating 0 bytes (i.e. use long/shorter words), as long as the overall text string table doesnt grow and overflow into areas where it doesnt belong ;)
--