Tactics

This forum is dedicated to the original version of Player Manager

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tactics

Postby durban » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:27 am

Does anyone have any ADF disks with selections of Tactics for PM on?

Also, I am right in thinking there is no way of specifying whether you have the ball or not in a certain quadrant is there?

Ie you place your players regardless of whether you or you opponent has the ball.

Also is there anything that people do more often then not with tactics? Anything clever or funky that they like to do?

Personally some of my favourites are for the fullbacks to overlap when the ball is in the corners, obviously dangerous when you lose the ball there, but this is balanced by ensuring the number 4 drops back to form an extra centre back, and 5/6 are pushed out a little wide (but not too much in case a long ball is hit over the top)
In that situation its most likely the wingers 7/11 will have the ball when attacking, so I also position them so that they pull back level with the penalty box when not in possesion, again in case the ball is lost they can add a second line of defence.

Another one I like is having the 9/10 sat just outside the edge of the box when the ball is on the wings by the halfway line, however have them cross over when the ball hits the centre so that 9/10 cross at about the penalty spot when a cross comes in. This seems to work really well when you hit diagonal crosses as one player is generally heading towards the near post and the other has dropped off ready for an overhit cross or a deflection. Can be awesome when implemented to perfection.

Also I like to have 8/4 switching around quite a bit, they are given roles. Its always good to have two similar tactics in your arsenal, and just having minor adjustments, particularly to the midfield. If you find one player is getting to much space you can switch the players around. Also I like to have one tactic where the 7/11 switch wings just in case you need to take advantage of a slow defender.

I love PM tactics, could do them for hours!!!!
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
alkis21

Re: Tactics

Postby alkis21 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:39 am

durban wrote:Does anyone have any ADF disks with selections of Tactics for PM on?

For God's sake Mark, you're embarrassing yourself.. you're supposed to be one of the oldest members!
There's a great site on the internet, http://www.ko-gathering.com , ever heard of it? It even has a downloads section.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:08 pm

Alkis I was aware of some tactics but was more after a discussion and a chance to exchange tactics with people to highlight issues and try and cross over ideas :)
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:47 pm

Does anyone have any ADF disks with selections of Tactics for PM on?

Download my tactics from the downloads section. My current one is M2MDeep.

Also, I am right in thinking there is no way of specifying whether you have the ball or not in a certain quadrant is there?

In standard Player Manager then it has no idea whether you have the ball. You have to design your tactics to balance the chance of you having possession and not. I basically say that if the ball is in the further three zones, I assume I am attacking and I have possession. The converse applies in my back three zones.

Ie you place your players regardless of whether you or you opponent has the ball.

Yes. One of the best things about self-designed tactics is you can have things like ALWAYS one deep defender or ALWAYS one deep forward, wherever the ball is. A lot of the weakness of standard tactics is that your players bunch in the middle of the field and the men at the front can't catch the long balls or say the defender is too far forward and you get caught 1v1.

One major difference of both using PM tactics is that you will probably always have both a deep striker and sweeper. So you almost never get 1v1 with the keeper. But it also means you get very very good at taking on and beating defenders 1v1. This is why, as I have tried to explain for the last 3 years, I was performing way below potential at the time I started the KOA. I could not finish 1v1 as I'd never had the practice. But I was awesome at dribbling against defenders in, and on the edge of, the box. Now I am able to finish 1v1, I have a more complete range of attacking.

Also is there anything that people do more often then not with tactics? Anything clever or funky that they like to do?

One tip, use the lines function. It draws lines between where your players were and are (you'll see what I mean) so you can trace their movement around the field. I try never to a) let the lines cross, b) have any player running more than one box of distance per adjacent zone.

Personally some of my favourites are for the fullbacks to overlap when the ball is in the corners, obviously dangerous when you lose the ball there, but this is balanced by ensuring the number 4 drops back to form an extra centre back, and 5/6 are pushed out a little wide (but not too much in case a long ball is hit over the top)

This would not work well (overlapping fullbacks). Problem is that the full backs probably can't run fast enough to get where you want them to - possession changes hands too quickly in Ko2 as well, so it's not like real football. They would be up and down the left wing every 2 secs and always somewhere in between where you actually want them. Also full backs are typically players with lower shooting so they won't be able to deliver quality crosses, lobs or diagonal near post shots.

In that situation its most likely the wingers 7/11 will have the ball when attacking, so I also position them so that they pull back level with the penalty box when not in possesion, again in case the ball is lost they can add a second line of defence.

Sounds very confused. Best to give players clearer, simpler functions. There is still plenty of opportunity for subtlety elsewhere.

Another one I like is having the 9/10 sat just outside the edge of the box when the ball is on the wings by the halfway line, however have them cross over when the ball hits the centre so that 9/10 cross at about the penalty spot when a cross comes in. This seems to work really well when you hit diagonal crosses as one player is generally heading towards the near post and the other has dropped off ready for an overhit cross or a deflection. Can be awesome when implemented to perfection.

Just leave them in the penalty box all the time! That way they don't run so far - there is a theory this drains Stamina. Then again, speed may just be due to time spent on the pitch.

Also I like to have 8/4 switching around quite a bit, they are given roles. Its always good to have two similar tactics in your arsenal, and just having minor adjustments, particularly to the midfield. If you find one player is getting to much space you can switch the players around. Also I like to have one tactic where the 7/11 switch wings just in case you need to take advantage of a slow defender.

All very confused! Just have one version of your tactic and fine-tune it. If you keep 4 alternative versions, then you will basically be fucked as every slight change you make must be implemented 4 times. Think of it as document control. I have a tactic called Spurs*14. That's the 14th iteration. The previous 13 included some disastrous experiments but also some key changes. Best thing is to make Durban*1 and then each change, make a new number, ie Durban*2. One change per version. I remember I got all the way up to Spurs*8 and I was still using Spurs*4 vs James. Enables you to back-track and see which changes didn't help.

I have already done them for a lifetime. Bring yours round and test them against mine. A good thing is to break every 2 hours and give you 20 mins on Player Manager to edit slightly and the continue playing.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:57 pm

Robert many thanks for the excellent red replies!

Firstly, I thought (and I think Dino confirmed this) that stamina runs out regardless of whether your players are standing still all match or running like Chickens. I seem to recall suggesting that you should make #10 stand in the same position for all tactics meaning he would be really fresh whenever he got the ball, but this was then denied saying that its the time he is on the pitch (and how many times he gets injured) that affects stamina.

Secondly, the reason I like overlapping fullbacks is that it adds a brillian aspect to the game. I also use the lines to show where the player is running, its an excellent tool. However back to the overlap. Most of the time when attacking the Full backs don't overlap as there isn't time for them to catch up, so it gives you an option to pull the ball back into space for the rushing Full Back to run into the box.
However you can also hold the ball up on the edge of the box and wait. The defender comes for you, your full back runs past and is clear to put in a good cross or a Mr Diiiig type shot (PM teams are a must for this, I always try and have a good full back with pace/stamina and shooting ability!)

I will try out your tactics this weekend, thanks :)

another question tho, no offence. Do you build tactics to explot weaknesses? Or do you build them for good solid play?

I have always liked wingers, so my tactics are meant to be solid at the back but have lots of wide potential. I don't like keeping a striker up front as when I play the PC or my Mate I don't want to score lots of goals, I just want solid play with lots of outlets to put in crosses or make driving runs from midfield. I never design a tactic that allows me to get Barber free or to try and keep a man in the box even when the ball is in my own half etc.

I also like creating diamond formations. Usually I will bring one of the wingers into the middle to act as a link man to the two strikers and put the number 8 out on the wing. the 4 sits a bit deeper but the 6 pushes up and 2/3 play a little more inside than usual to give support to midfield as its basically lost a central midfielder. This allows lots of opportunity for 1-2's (which I love to do) as #10 can pick up the ball, the number 7 (link man) will then push up to attack and can receive the ball from #10, then the #10 will break into the box and the #7 can play a quick pass back which splits that last 2 defenders into pieces. When it works its fking brilliant.

Another good routine is for the #10 or #9 to take a pass in the middle and roll it back to the #7 (or #8 if 424) and again as soon as the pass is released the #10 will break for the box, the #8 or #7 then does a FW chip over the defender who regularly chases the ball instead of marking the man, leaving the #10 in on goal.

Tactics are excellent :)

Finally tho Rob, I agree with what you say about positioning regardless of the ball, but the only quadrant where I am basically defending more than anything else is when the ball is in my own box. Even when its by the corner flag I still like to have a bit of attacking emphasis so I can break quickly and with meaning :)

I will try and bring some tactics (but like I said they are all on WINUAE so will need to try and convert them somehow, maybe email to Camber and he can burn them to real disk!)

Thanks for your advice as I guess you are the Oracle of KO2 Tactics.
Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:11 pm

Nah mate, I am not the Oracle, I use original PM disks.
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:42 am

durban wrote:Does anyone have any ADF disks with selections of Tactics for PM on?

I love the PM tactics as well...

yes you really can do them for hours........

Strange that there are no similar tactcs system in newer games (or is there?) . The possabilities to make you own tactics in PM is great.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:27 pm

Danne check out the Tactics in the download section here.

M2MDeep is an excellent tactic, although I would prefer the number 10 not to be so deep in a friendly match :)