Hello! ...am I the Greatest Player Manager???

This forum is dedicated to the original version of Player Manager

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Hello! ...am I the Greatest Player Manager???

Postby Sid » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:52 pm

Hi ladies & gentlemen,

I am one of the BIGGEST Player Manager fans EVER!
Back in the day when I was @ school, I had a team of all-stars, all WELL-OVER £1000k, often averaging £1500k, with a player over £2000k.
It took many many PM years to produce what was ultimately the best team in the world.

I haven't played it for years, so it would've been good to see what Alkis or Rob Swift would have done with my team (as I need practice to get back into it!)

The PS2 & PES3 have been laid to rest, and I have come back to my roots ...the Amiga has been dusted for the first time in 10 years!

Along the way here, I also hope to share in with my thoughts on the beautiful game, and learn from all the fanatics here too.

All the best,
Sid

p.s.
Are there any differences between a cracked version of the game and the original disk ???
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Nope sorry!!

Postby Stainy » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:59 pm

I am.. indeed the best and most dedicated Player Manager !!!!!
and I will prove it..!!

Here we have four folders!

These four folders comprise of this :-

and

Now for ever season there are two sheets. as you can see, one sheet records the scorers, teams played, the results, players bought and sold, whether the double was managed or not and hatricks.

The other sheet records all the stats of my team, at the beginning of every season I wrote these down, so I could look back and see how players improved with age. Also I could check on how fast players stats increased playing them in different roles. This stat sheet was split, the top half was my starting 13 and below other players not in the line up.
This sheet also recorded whether they were on transfer, request transfer or captain!

Now this is still my original team that I started when I first got the game, direct from Anco.. first time I loaded it.. this is the same team.. albeit a bit different ;)

I`m currently upto year 2159, thats 169 years, 338 sheets of infomation in four binders!! oh and there`s more!!

I adf`d all my save disks.. apart frmo the very beginning, there are three saves per season, with three seasons per disk! Thats my folder with them all in.. So, if I wanted I could load up any team, at any time and relive the great players I had in the past.. This also allows me to pit them against each other in KO2 or one of the data disks! ( can`t remember now )

So far, four binders, 50 disks or so.. ( all adf`d ) a whole lot of info!
I`m still carrying on every now and then, I load up my team, play a few games and put it down again!!

Give me the trophy now then :lol: :lol:
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:04 pm

Impressive.. very impressive indeed. Have you really had a more than 2000K player?? The most expensive one I had was just a bit above 1700K.
But have you managed this? :)

Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Cheat!

Postby Stainy » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:15 pm

But I play it how it was meant to be played
I don`t play it as the whole team and I don`t use the games flaws to my goalscoring advantage!! ie.. your corner flag man business! :twisted:

and :roll:

oh and one more :shock:
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:23 am

LOL @ Stainy. Thank you for sharing this with us, those four folders are most impressive, I must admit!
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:18 am

Impressive Stainy!!
I like your dedication. I used to do that when I was 12! hee hee
Might start it up again!

(your team isn't very impressive though... sorry mate)

I also play the game how it is meant to be played, PIP.

Alkis, very good feat... but u let in 5 goals!! ha ha LOL
Nah, its good, really.

It is SO easy scoring in Player Manager.
I have just started a new game, in the 3rd division, and I ALONE am averaging 5 goals per game (minimum is a hat-trick, most is 9 (remember its me the one player in position, not team)... then you got the goals I am setting up for my 3rd Div team mates...

THE greatest team
I have my data disk from all those years gone by... it has the "greatest team" on it ... (tho it may have evolved abit & aged, as I continued playing) ...BUT, when I go to load it up, it has "FILE ERROR"!
aaaargh!!
Havin said that, I have X-Copy III, and did "checkdisk+" on my original PM disk, which has some errors on it >> this could be the reason for the file errors, as it occasionally happens with a brand new disk formatted that I am using for the new game now in 2004. (?)
I have to keep trying to "load game".

THE greatest £2000k player
Yes, I have had a player over this. At the end of each season, I used to save my game, and when its new season look out for the BEST of the BEST 18yr old players in the transfer martket. If there wasn't a £1000k 18yr old, I'd reload... but this was ONLY when my team had reached those very high standards that I simply had to ensure it's continuity!

I am not trying to being confrontational at all, but I can without a doubt, say that the team I had was better than any team anybody has had on here.
Nearly every players stat was 200 or close, in all the attributes!
Hence why the £2000K price tag! I had one or two other players in the £1800k mark.

Sid
WC2011 #20th position
UKC2007 organiser
SimonB
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby SimonB » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:55 am

Sid wrote:Impressive Stainy!! I used to do that when I was 12!

How old does that make you feel Stainy?
Birmingham 2011 World Cup: 15th best player :)
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Silly sod!

Postby Stainy » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:52 am

Sid: thats not my current team... look at the date! it was a hundred player manager years ago!

ahhh old schmold! when he was 12, I was 18, so what! I was having more fun I reckon ;)
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:36 am

A couple of other things...

Players peak
I read somewhere that everybody thinks players in PM peak at 23years?
That is not correct. The peak is 27yrs... for good agile players.
I speak from experience, and my best players keep on improving their stats & attributes at 27, as well as their price tag continuing to inflate.
When at 28 it starts to come down.

How to get the best out of your players
...and this probably goes against anything that the KO massive do...
Play In Position!!
This has an obvious benefit = as you are not controlling the other players, they can show their own flair & skill on the pitch, making best use of their abilites.
By Playing as Team, you will play as your own style, this has an effect on the team. I have researched this well.
Players who are left alone will increase more in value than those that are human controlled.
That is ONE factor of how I got a £2000k player!

Sid
As I said... I AM the greatest Player Manager of all time...!
WC2011 #20th position
UKC2007 organiser
Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:09 pm

Sid, do you have a surviving copy of this team or not? If you don't, then you WERE the greatest player manager but it is now me :-)

If you have a list of the Player Stats I would be very interested to see. I must admit that the most expensive player I've created was 1704k.

By the way, I made the claim that players peak at 23. Now I understand what you are saying, and you will understand me when I say this. If you are balancing the needs of the whole team, then 23 is the average peak, as you have the 5 biggest skill advances and after that it's diminishing returns. Meanwhile you can get all abilities ie Pace to 200 at 23.

HOWEVER I fully accept that if you were basing your whole search criteria on maximising the development (and value) of a single key player, as I have done before, then YES, this player would probably peak at 27 as you'd get more skill advances while 'defending' Pace etc, ie not buying any players in years where the key player drops below all-200.

So I think we are both right.

Anyway, you seem to know what you are talking about. Drop me your email address in a PM and I will send you a spreadsheet of my 8 teams of 1000k+ players.
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:34 am

Rob... great to hear from you!

I have the disk >> does it work? sadly not yet! I can hope!!!

I WILL build my team up again.

Email me your teams to:
sid@xstyle.co.uk

Cheers.
WC2011 #20th position
UKC2007 organiser
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:49 am

One thing I forgot to say...
you also say the stats only change at the end of the season?
I know thats true, obviosuly...
but I have also had stats change mid-season just ONCE, on my old very frail Player Manager. A coupla points up... can't remember if it were the skill or the attributes though.

Has any1 else experienced this?
WC2011 #20th position
UKC2007 organiser
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:05 am

Hey guys, how you doin'? It's Sid here.
The database does not accept me as a user and its gone beserk!
Durban is hopefully sorting it out!! (w/o success so far)... I'd rather go back to using my original username & email.

I packed up my Amiga again last year, as I got married, moved house, and currently in the middle of redecorating! Busy Busy...

The Amiga has made its 2nd return! ... and my Player Manager data disk has "File Error" ... argh!!
I have to start again!!! But there is a problem... I only have a handful of disks, as I'm unsure whats happened to the rest of my collection;
I only have:
Wings, Supercars II, KO2, KO2 v1.6e, KO2 Final Whistle, Player Manager
(I put these in seperate portable boxes as they are the best discs to have!!)

Can anybody supply me with a copy of X-Copy 3?? I need to make a formatted disk to play Player Manager again!!

I played KO2 instead ... the goal scoring touch came back after a game or two..!

Anybody help please?
I will of course be happy to pay the postage.

Cheers,
Sid
WC2011 #20th position
UKC2007 organiser