Online Ranksystem

Talk about on-line Kick Off

Moderator: Moderators

Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Online Ranksystem

Postby Danne » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:48 am

It would be intresting to make a ranksystem online.

People report their results which automatically is calculated according to a rankformula similar to the offline rank.

Does anyone have knowledge how to do this?
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:54 am

it was already done by Durban, i wonder why KOANET is closed :cry:
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:56 am

TheFoxSoft wrote:it was already done by Durban, i wonder why KOANET is closed :cry:

Shouldnt we be able to have a similar thing but located on http://www.ko-gathering.com ?

Maybe durban can help out?
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:37 pm

It is a good idea, but since we just have 6-7 "addicted" online players for now, maybe it is too early to think about it. Maybe it would gather more people, maybe some wouldn't like it.
I still believe more people would love playing online with us if they tried it. If we have a basis of 155 regular players, we can think about setting up such a system. But for now, I don't think the online activity is big enough to "deserve" such an elaborate system.
Offline players, you can give us your point of view about this, too :)
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:12 pm

Here's my totally subjective and untrustworthy ranking of the most regular online players based on observation: (UPDATED 19/07/07)

1) Danne
2) Filmour (filippos)
3) Noodlebug
4) Nikos
5) Rayge (but I have not played him yet with his joystick)
6) Mannix (now has a joystick and is much improved!)
7) Loul

We could invent an elaborate system taking into account ping rates and lag, but I'm pretty sure it would come out with pretty much the same order!
Last edited by Noodlebug on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------
Newbie for 11 years
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:39 pm

At the end of the day, so long as it's a fair system, the best player will always be on top.
Calimero
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Calimero » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:48 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:At the end of the day, so long as it's a fair system, the best player will always be on top.

And what if you start playing very late in the evening?
Then the best player will be on top at the beginning of the next day.

(sorry, couldn't resist replying to your cliché remark ;))
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:03 pm

And most likely at the end of that day too. :wink:
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:20 pm

Actually it's true hehe, we started playing at 6pm yesterday, and the two last players stopped this morning at 5am :) I personnally gave up at 3am. Intensive training.
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:55 pm

Its great to see you putting loads of effort into this Rayge, you are a true star!

I tried to get things moving and then the baton was passed on to Danne who got Gianni to take part and now that baton is with you. Gotta say Im impressed mate and like yourself, id love to see online Kick Off up there with SWOS.

When I was speaking to Redhair he was saying that what we need is a VPS - Virtual Private Server. Apparently they only cost a few Euro's per month.

I did look into getting one but all the ones in UK are too expensive. If you found one, id have no qualms with making a donation and id also play online more often then as well.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:10 pm

Thanks for that and for your comments. I really do nothing big :p I just play. Btw, Danne seems to be ready to give it a boost, too.

A special server... it's a bit off-topic, but it's a good thing to think about. We never have more than 2 games sessions running at the same time, I don't think it's worth it for now.

If online kick off becomes a true success, we might think about it, but for now, not enough people are involved, or their involvment isn't as positive as it should be.
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:17 pm

Rayge wrote:A special server... it's a bit off-topic, but it's a good thing to think about. We never have more than 2 games sessions running at the same time, I don't think it's worth it for now.

If online kick off becomes a true success, we might think about it.
Unfortunately online Kick Off won't become a big success untill someone establishes a server that's up to the task. I've played with 40ms pings and to me it just feels slightlky wrong.

If we had servers were we were getting less than 20ms, then I'd definately play and I'd definately pay.
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:05 pm

The ping mostly depends on the server location, not on the game it is dedicated to. It's just the same thing for sensible soccer online... this server is an excellent one.
We all miss a few more things online, like quick controls or one timer shoots (we miss them offline too btw :P), but the control is still excellent.
I personnally play for fun, not to win or be the best, and I wouldn't care if my level was lower on internet compared to offline (strangely it's not the case).

Just come and try it with us, you'll see if you are satisfied with the servers we use. It's easy: come, test it , like it or not, stay or leave :D

Well anyways it's off-topic ahah, there's another thread to talk about these little things, and we've already talked about it a lot recently !