Forget all your preconceived notions of KO2 online...

Talk about on-line Kick Off

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!
Posts: 6197
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Birmingham, England

Postby gdh82 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:59 pm

Thanks Stainy :)

Unable to play right now but will take you up on that v. soon!
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
TheFoxSoft
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4208
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Postby TheFoxSoft » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:26 pm

I'm really interested to play some online games.
Unfortunately i couldn't play until next week.
See you soon online!
User avatar
Redhair
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby Redhair » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:I tried out my adapter and it just didn't work, only 1 or two positions on either stick would register. I got it from the fleamarket at sensiblesoccer.de.

Upon opening it and looking at the diagram that came with the driver instructions, I noticed that the parallel port end was wired with no similarity to the diagram. Both 9 pin plugs were fine but not the parallel port. I guess the person that made this one must have had a few too many beers. Anyway, a bit of soldering action later and it now works... Kinda.

When I load Kick Off the fire button doesn't function. Fair enough you say, my soldering is shoddy. But no. If I load MAME it works a treat, in fact I just scored 350,000+ on Mr. Do! and this fits comfortably into my top 5 scores from the old days, so no problems with anything there.

The stick also works fine in the control panel with all 4 directions and the fire button registering. But the main reason for the adapter was KO2, so I'm a bit :( at the moment. If I swap controls to keyboard I can start a game, then swap back to the stick and I can run around the field no problem, I just can't trap, pass or shoot. Needless to say, this makes Kick Off a bit tricky :D.

If I use my PC controller, the button that registers as button 1 in the control panel is the button that works in Kick Off. It's the same button 1 that shows up and registers for the Amiga stick.

Any ideas anyone? :?


Your words hurt me really, thoses adaptors are not made by a drunk man. No, he made tousands (no joke) of these adaptors and he is very professional with it, no one of the SWOS community has ever reported a problem with the hardware! If this is true, you are the first where this happend. If online gaming or offline events on SensibleSoccer.de, all adaptors we are using, are made by him and it always worked perfect.

There are a lot of different types of adaptors and wirings, every kind needs a special setting in the driver. So: which settings do you use?

Did you know BTW, that you are able to edit the joystick-mapping in the driver of PPJoy? I really assume the problems were the settings, not the wiring... But you didn't ask, you only judge. This is sad and will give us a negative image (maybe because of SWOS). You was also able to contact us, before you make negative advertisement against our shop. I'm sure, there was a better solution than this way. You really don't know, how supportive we are in our community.
Image
User avatar
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Concord,NC, USA
Contact:

Postby Stainy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:52 pm

Redhair wrote:
Bounty Bob wrote:I tried out my adapter and it just didn't work, only 1 or two positions on either stick would register. I got it from the fleamarket at sensiblesoccer.de.

Upon opening it and looking at the diagram that came with the driver instructions, I noticed that the parallel port end was wired with no similarity to the diagram. Both 9 pin plugs were fine but not the parallel port. I guess the person that made this one must have had a few too many beers. Anyway, a bit of soldering action later and it now works... Kinda.

When I load Kick Off the fire button doesn't function. Fair enough you say, my soldering is shoddy. But no. If I load MAME it works a treat, in fact I just scored 350,000+ on Mr. Do! and this fits comfortably into my top 5 scores from the old days, so no problems with anything there.

The stick also works fine in the control panel with all 4 directions and the fire button registering. But the main reason for the adapter was KO2, so I'm a bit :( at the moment. If I swap controls to keyboard I can start a game, then swap back to the stick and I can run around the field no problem, I just can't trap, pass or shoot. Needless to say, this makes Kick Off a bit tricky :D.

If I use my PC controller, the button that registers as button 1 in the control panel is the button that works in Kick Off. It's the same button 1 that shows up and registers for the Amiga stick.

Any ideas anyone? :?


Your words hurt me really, thoses adaptors are not made by a drunk man. No, he made tousands (no joke) of these adaptors and he is very professional with it, no one of the SWOS community has ever reported a problem with the hardware! If this is true, you are the first where this happend. If online gaming or offline events on SensibleSoccer.de, all adaptors we are using, are made by him and it always worked perfect.

There are a lot of different types of adaptors and wirings, every kind needs a special setting in the driver. So: which settings do you use?

Did you know BTW, that you are able to edit the joystick-mapping in the driver of PPJoy? I really assume the problems were the settings, not the wiring... But you didn't ask, you only judge. This is sad and will give us a negative image (maybe because of SWOS). You was also able to contact us, before you make negative advertisement against our shop. I'm sure, there was a better solution than this way. You really don't know, how supportive we are in our community.



uh oh Bobby!!
Image
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Posts: 2919
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:30 pm

Postby Steve1977 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:03 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:I tried out my adapter and it just didn't work, only 1 or two positions on either stick would register. I got it from the fleamarket at sensiblesoccer.de.

Upon opening it and looking at the diagram that came with the driver instructions, I noticed that the parallel port end was wired with no similarity to the diagram. Both 9 pin plugs were fine but not the parallel port. I guess the person that made this one must have had a few too many beers. Anyway, a bit of soldering action later and it now works... Kinda.

When I load Kick Off the fire button doesn't function. Fair enough you say, my soldering is shoddy. But no. If I load MAME it works a treat, in fact I just scored 350,000+ on Mr. Do! and this fits comfortably into my top 5 scores from the old days, so no problems with anything there.

The stick also works fine in the control panel with all 4 directions and the fire button registering. But the main reason for the adapter was KO2, so I'm a bit :( at the moment. If I swap controls to keyboard I can start a game, then swap back to the stick and I can run around the field no problem, I just can't trap, pass or shoot. Needless to say, this makes Kick Off a bit tricky :D.

If I use my PC controller, the button that registers as button 1 in the control panel is the button that works in Kick Off. It's the same button 1 that shows up and registers for the Amiga stick.

Any ideas anyone? :?


Im sorry to hear this mate, I'l make sure Redhair reads this but... (EDIT: Looks like he already has). When I received mine, I couldnt get it to work, but Redhair gave me instructions and it now works like a dream.

Did you receive a CD with the Adaptor? If so, install everything that came with it and then configure it via control panel

Control Panel > Parralel Port Joystics > (then you should see this:

Image
User avatar
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:16 pm

Postby Bounty Bob » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:45 pm

Steve, it showed exactly what you show in your screen shot. When I went to mapping, it wouldn't recognise all of the directions.

Redhair. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone but the simple fact is that my adapter was wired incorrectly. The supplied instructions were excellent and when looking at the wiring diagrams, it was clear that the connections on the parallel port were different to how mine was wired. Having some experience with a soldering iron, there was no need to contact anyone as that would have just been so much slower than correcting the problem myself. In fact the only reason I ordered an adapter and didn't make one myself was because I just couldn't be arsed and for the sake of a few quid it wasn't worth me bothering.

It certainly wasn't any kind of mapping problem. When I initially tried to map the stick, it would only register movement up and left. No right, no down and no fire button. The second stick had a similar problem but with different directions being registered. The only way I could get the mapping to work was after wiring the connector as in the supplied diagrams.

The quip about beer was meant to be light hearted and not to imply that drunk people make these :roll:. I haven't said anything unkind about the shop, all I've said is that mine was wired wrongly and this is a fact whether or not anyone cares to believe it. All I have done is stated a simple fact, I haven't slagged anyone off or told anyone to avoid.

Anyway...

Everything works fine with MAME and with a C64 emulator. I can even play Kick Off on WinFellow without any problems. I downloaded the latest stand alone version of WinUAE but the fire button still doesn't work within the emulator. I tried both Kick Off and Sensible Soccer with the same result. Is there some kind of setting within the emulator configuration that might fix this?

My PC gamepad works within the emu and on the control pane, the button I press when playing Kick Off shows as button 1. When I test my Amiga stick in the control panel, the button also registers as button 1. Win UAE refuses to acknowledge it though.

Very weird. :cry:
User avatar
Redhair
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby Redhair » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:57 am

Bounty Bob wrote:Steve, it showed exactly what you show in your screen shot. When I went to mapping, it wouldn't recognise all of the directions.

Redhair. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone but the simple fact is that my adapter was wired incorrectly. The supplied instructions were excellent and when looking at the wiring diagrams, it was clear that the connections on the parallel port were different to how mine was wired. Having some experience with a soldering iron, there was no need to contact anyone as that would have just been so much slower than correcting the problem myself. In fact the only reason I ordered an adapter and didn't make one myself was because I just couldn't be arsed and for the sake of a few quid it wasn't worth me bothering.

It certainly wasn't any kind of mapping problem. When I initially tried to map the stick, it would only register movement up and left. No right, no down and no fire button. The second stick had a similar problem but with different directions being registered. The only way I could get the mapping to work was after wiring the connector as in the supplied diagrams.

The quip about beer was meant to be light hearted and not to imply that drunk people make these :roll:. I haven't said anything unkind about the shop, all I've said is that mine was wired wrongly and this is a fact whether or not anyone cares to believe it. All I have done is stated a simple fact, I haven't slagged anyone off or told anyone to avoid.


Sorry to say that, but you are misinformed...
and I know now, why... http://www.ko-gathering.com/wiki/index. ... t_adaptors

The type of adaptor you ordered is Linux0802!! And the wiring was in fact(!) correct (as all adaptors are tested before they go to post), but your settings are wrong. Anyway, it's too late as you changed the wiring.

Read the description text on http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/quick/?p=p ... rt-Adaptor (check on bottom: "Type Designation: Linux0802")

It's only in german yet, but please check out this PDF: http://www.retrokick.de/docs/Linux0802_de.pdf - This were the right settings, anything different was wrong.

You were overhasty, as your allegation with the beer... This words were too much and make me angry, I really need to defend our SWOS community, we are neither stupid nor alcoholics!! And we go in for quality. Respect!
Image
User avatar
alkis21
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15011
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Postby alkis21 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:11 am

Let's make it clear hear that Mark's comment (true or false) was directed to a single individual, not the entire SWOS community.
Was your comment against Filippo the other day directed to the entire KOA community?
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Image
User avatar
Redhair
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby Redhair » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:24 am

alkis21 wrote:Let's make it clear hear that Mark's comment (true or false) was directed to a single individual, not the entire SWOS community.
Was your comment against Filippo the other day directed to the entire KOA community?


Of course not. But where are the reasons for such words of Mark? He did either contact me nor checked out which adaptor he bought. But he judged that the wiring is not correct, but this is not true. The words with beer etc. were not necessary and an insult not only for the man who is creating these adaptors, it is also an insult to me, because I'm managing the shop. So, if Mark makes negative advertisement against our shop, where all SWOS players bought their adaptors and where they are happy about it, it feels like Mark has no respect to us. This is the problem!

In case of Fillipo it's another story. I dislike stealing of contents without asking or any credits at all. But this has nothing to do with Kick Off, btw, his site is not only about Kick Off, it's also about Sensible Soccer.
Last edited by Redhair on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
alkis21
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15011
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Postby alkis21 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:29 am

Fair enough...
Let's wait for Mark's response.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Image
User avatar
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:16 pm

Postby Bounty Bob » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:34 am

I was only being light hearted too. Not once have I said I was pissed off or held any grudge against anyone. Will you please shut up about the beer. IT WAS A JOKE COMMENT!. I've already said that I don't seriously believe a drunk person to have made it. The soldering was far too neat for that to be the case.

Perhaps if that product description code was on the page with the list of products, any confusion could have been avoided. Confusion could also have been avoided with a small piece of paper in with the product stating what it was.

I don't know how you think I was misinformed from that link in our wiki as I've never seen it before in my life! As fas as I was concerned if it looks like an Amiga 4 player adapter and smells like an Amiga 4 player adapter, then it is an Amiga 4 player adapter :D.

If the adapter was indeed the Linux type and wired correctly then I apologise. However, you can indeed take two things under advisement.

1) Include a description with the product. This would avoid any confusion whatsoever. If there was a small piece of paper stating use Linux adapter setting on PPJoy, there would have been no confusion. We can see from Steve's post above that I'm not the only one to be confused. Fortunately, I had the ability to sort it out myself, so it wasn't a problem.
2) If you are going to sell a Linux type adapter, for crying out loud don't advertise it as 'An adaptor to connect 2 Amiga joysticks to a Windows PC '. As seen here http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/quick/?p= . Why would I expect an adapter bought for a windows PC to be a linux type set up?

In light of these revelations, while being big enough to apologising for the beer comment, I'd have to retract my glowing praise of the instructions as it turns out they are in fact very inadequate.
User avatar
Redhair
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby Redhair » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:50 am

The adaptor is type "Linux0802" (wiring), but this means nothing, as the driver is for Windows(!), so why should I write "Linux Adaptor"? This makes no sense, as "Amiga SWOS" works as a Windows program.

And what do you expect if a shop is named "Flea Market"? This is no professional shop, it's a private market place for our community, but we are selling quality, with free support.

If you don't need support, is it our fault?
Anyway, I will add tutorials to this shop.
Image
User avatar
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:16 pm

Postby Bounty Bob » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:04 pm

Redhair wrote:The adaptor is type "Linux0802" (wiring),
Then add that to the description on the list of products. Confusion will be avoided.

Redhair wrote:And what do you expect if a shop is named "Flea Market"? This is no professional shop, it's a private market place for our community, but we are selling quality, with free support.
I realise that, which is why I suggested including a single piece of paper rather than a glossy binded manual.

Redhair wrote:If you don't need support, is it our fault?
Did I in any way say it was your fault? Have I even once been critical of your support? I don't understand the point here.

I'm trying to help you avoid this kind of confusion in the future but you still seem to be very defensive. What happened to the old mantra that the customer is always right? :lol: (THAT WAS A JOKE)

I've apologised for my confusion and the very few people that read this forum will know that it's not entirely your fault. The very fact that you have read this and responded shows your customer commitment. I would thank you for that but you keep having a go at me and rather than admitting any short comings. At least I have apologised for my comments.

I have explained how my confusion arose and offered advice on how you can eliminate future confusion very simply. You can either listen to you customers and improve or carry on as you are. I don't really care either way.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest