WOW! Never realised the game was still loved!

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

WOW! Never realised the game was still loved!

Postby Steve1977 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:39 pm

I decided to get my Amiga out of my parents loft and move it into my new house. :) Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was looking into how to get games off the net and onto CD... and then put them in a suitable format so I can play them on the Amiga.
On the way I encountered a rather heated debate between Dino Dini and some magazine guy who had a dodgy haircut. Couldnt believe they were arguing over two games from a classic era!
Imagine my suprise then when I find this website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE! I remember first getting the Amiga Batpack and a few weeks after that only getting Kenny Daglishs's soccer match. A few weeks, months? (cant remember) I got Kick Off. This was the bee's knees. It just seemed so right. Got Kick Off Extra Time and if my memory serves me correctly it was this game whcih introduced after touch.

I was seriously addicted to Player Manager, infact I continued to play it until Championship Manager came about. Even up until CM4 though I longed for the days of watching my team play just like in PM.

Loved Kick Off 2 though and I never really thought of the "bugs" as bugs. Just seemed to endear the game further.

Imagine my suprise even more when I see that people are doing their very own world cups! God, Id love to go to one of these and pit my wits, even though i havent played it in years.

I have a few questions if you dont mind folks:

Is PBD short for Penalty Box Dribble? and it was given to the computer to enable them to score easily. But in some cases it was on the normal version of KO2 so the ball stuck to your feet?

Why did Dino Dini and Steve Screech split up? just a falling out of friends? Creative differences?

Why was Player Manager 2 never released. When I saw the features that was meant to have when i was younger i couldnt sleep i was that excited!

In another post someone posted the video files of the previous world cups and peoples goals.
Could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! upload them again. Im waiting to get my discs back from a friend who i sold them to...thankfully im still his friend and he also has my Zipstick.

Cheers

Steve
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:59 pm

Welcome aboard! :)[/quote]
World Cup 2015 Bronze Cup/Steve Screech Cup Winner

aka "The Kick Off 2 Hustler" and officially the best Portuguese Kick Off player living in Ireland.
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:02 pm

Steve, welcome to the forums. The site was hacked yesterday and we moved to new servers. The videos will soon be up again as well as most downloads. Stay tuned. If you wish to attend any tournaments, visit the tournaments section in the forum.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:50 pm

Yes the ADF images etc will be uploaded first thing this evening when I get home.

Welcome to the site, its a good place and obviously if you enjoy ko2 that much we often have get togethers for fun and competetive games so if you are local to any of them you are always invited to join!

8pm tonight there will be lots of downloads in the download section and tournament videos of course!

M
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:54 pm

excellent stuff Durban! Cant wait to see them!!!!
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:19 pm

Trust me, was gonna do them last night but its gonna take about 90 mins to upload them all (there are some huge movie files, 10 meg a go and about 20 of them!) so decided as no-one really downloads these much I would leave em till today!

Typical, along comes someone who wants them 10 mins later :lol: :)

Sorry about this mate, they will be there by 8pm I promise!

M
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:28 pm

no worries, I'l be busy tonight doing the music editing for a Flash animation movie later on.
Could you or anyone shed light on the other questions? It seems to me that there are very few places which make you feel right at home on the net...but this is definetly one of them. Thanks guys.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:15 pm

ok PBD = Penalty Box Dribble.

As for the reasons behind this its still sort of in discussion but as you said yes it was in early KO2 versions and believed to be there to help out the cpu in the box.

The famous Oracle (cracked) version displayed PBD whereas the real 1.4e retail version did not.

You are best looking this over in older posts, we have discussed it a zillion times :)

Again Steve and Dino is just a personal issue. Don't really want to go into it as I we don't know the full story. Bascially it was more Anco and Dino that had the misunderstandings. Steve stayed with Anco and as such the two were working for different people and perhaps didn't keep in touch. Not really much to tell on this.

Again I think PM2 wasn't released due to the above circumstances. There was a good discussion on here a while ago but I never got involved. There was a PM2 on PC I think, but this was a long time later. To put it bluntly...Dino owned the Code to KO2, Anco owned the rights to the name or something. So Dino couldn't release anything using the ko2 name and anco didn't have the code to relase an update or anything.

Erm, the videos will be there tonight. I think there are about 20 in all. There are definietly this years Final, Semi and quarters there. Also 2001 final, 2002 semi and final matches.

All the best.

M
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:09 pm

Excellent stuff, thanks for clarifying my questions too.
You know, I never realised there was a kick off 2002! Iv looked on gamespot.com and theres no review. I type it into Gameplay and it doesent come up with anything.
Reading that online magazine and it got 90%. Oh how I long for the Amiga era to return. When games were FUN to play. From reading peoples opinions it appears that the magazines which did review KO2002 were probably comparing it to Fifa, Pro Evo etc. These games try and replicate a real life game what with their 3d match display etc. It seems that EVERY game, well nearly every game is striving to make a game realistic and so when these games are reviewed, its "is this game realistic looking?" has it pushed the boundaries further?" is the lighting realistic?"
Right at the bottom of the list is... "is the game fun to play?"
When reviewing Kick Off 2002 they spotted that it didnt have believable textures, fancy 2d graphics and then realised it was an evolved version of the game from all those years ago so they instantly dismissed it. The thing is though...whilst graphics and sound improve with time and peoples perceptions change. Theres ONE thing which never disappears and thats PLAYABILITY. If Kick Off 2002 had this in abundance like the original games then its a winner for me and shame on all the people that dissed it. (reviewers etc.)
It seemed that in Kick Off and Kick Off 2 there were infinite ways to score, each and every player was individual. Even if it wasnt the game makes you believe it. To be honest, I didnt used to play myself in Player Manager cause i was so engrossed in watching my players perform.
Im gonna search out Kick Off 2002 though...is it best played with a controller or keyboard? or even joystick?
I remember the Kick Off advert... "easy to play, difficult to master"
Now with some games its.. "difficult to memorise controls... but once you'v worked out that you can score from a certain angle the game is piss easy, but hey, at least with have the rights to all the teams"
Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:20 pm

So Steve where abouts in the world are you, England I assume ??
NewEly - He is here sometimes...................
http://www.wayoftherodent.com
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:20 pm

hehehe, Ace posting here Steve.

Ko2002 is, off course, best played with an arcade stick. Like the Greek Stick. Dunno who knows best where to obtain one.
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:31 pm

I live in Cradley Heath, West Midlands. Nr, Birmingham. Absolutely love to take part in a tournament. Just putting the pieces in place at the moment to get all my beloved games back off the net and onto the trusty amiga once more. Nothing has rivalled it for playable games, games with real addictivness and the quantity of those games since it went.
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:58 pm

Hey Steve :) you made it here then ;) I see you`ve met some regulars already hehe
Welcome indeed!! W. Midlands :) your nicely placed for tornaments!!
( trying to think of others around that area ) but can`t ! :lol:

anyway.. anything you need help with/on don`t hesitate to ask..

:D