Discussion about bugfixes and enhancements for upcoming World Cups

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Re: Discussion about bugfixes and enhancements for upcoming World Cups

Postby Steve Camber » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:59 pm

Just throwing some facts in. I like facts!

Wikipedia to the rescue - "A software bug is an error, flaw, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways"

According to the work of John Wilson on Final Whistle, the keepers stop lobs better due to a fix in one number in the calculations. There's a 3 instead of a 4. It's that change which is currently in the KO2CV options menu "FW Lob Keepers". So, you could call that a bugfix by Dino. Or you could call it a refinement of sorts. It depends what he was thinking at the time.
Yet, as we know, in football we see long range goals.
So, are lobs bugs? Maybe.. or maybe not.

One thing we don't see in real life is keepers running off the pitch mid game. Surely under the "behave in unintended ways" section.
We also in real life don't see players turn 180 degrees in mid-air. Probably under the "behave in unintended ways" section unless Dino thought it was cool.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:12 pm

-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Steve Camber wrote: So, you could call that a bugfix by Dino. Or you could call it a refinement of sorts. It depends what he was thinking at the time.

What I know is this: In my talk with Dino he did not refer to lobs going in as a bug. A silly thing/feature/whatever, but not a bug.

The goalie behind the line is defo a bug and would've been removed if noticed prior to release.
The People's Lockout!
www.yearnlydom.rocks
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:27 pm

lobs do not create a 99.9% success rate goal, 180 degree headers also, yeah, both are silly, but so are a lot of other aspects of kick off 2, like their speed, like the keeper being so dense he does the benny hill run in the box, like wingers and fullbacks starting on the wrong side of the pitch then swapping once play starts... ... they are the things we find silly, amusing and fun about the game... the keeper running off is a bug and if exploited correctly it leads to an almost certain goal... please stop comparing it with other 'traits' of the game, it isn't fair to compare them, they are totally different things.

the only other bug i can think of to compare it with is the player coming back on after a red card... it's cheating the opposition out of a fair contest. That bug was fixed and very rightly so, not explained away like 'i see it as him wearing a fake beard and sneaking back on' ... There should be 11 players on the pitch until someone is sent off (and taking throw ins and corners ofc before they get mentioned)

Do you guys really feel the need to have no keeper in the opponents net to score a goal? I personally feel like I should have my keeper in the net to give him and me a slight chance at least.
Last edited by Lee W on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:04 pm

I just see a goalkeeper that goes to take his water bottle for a while in an unfavorable moment of the match.
It add a sense of realism to my eyes. You cannot see the water battle because it his hidden behind the post.
Just a wrong timing, but the realism is all in his own.
Danny D
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Danny D » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:17 pm

Lee W wrote:the keeper running off is a bug and if exploited correctly it leads to an almost certain goal... please stop comparing it with other 'traits' of the game, it isn't fair to compare them, they are totally different things.

This statement I like.

We need to compare like with like. A bug is a bug.
A lob is not a bug.
"We are now on the threshold of a newer movement, with a newer hope and a new inspiration."
James Larkin
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Danny D wrote:
Lee W wrote:the keeper running off is a bug and if exploited correctly it leads to an almost certain goal... please stop comparing it with other 'traits' of the game, it isn't fair to compare them, they are totally different things.

This statement I like.

We need to compare like with like. A bug is a bug.
A lob is not a bug.

I second (or third) this.
The People's Lockout!
www.yearnlydom.rocks
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:14 pm

I agree too. lob is not a bug. It is a shot actually.
It is the behaviour of the goalkeeper that is bugged and let to enter lobs.
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:56 pm

I will not go into the debate but if you ask me I would have maintained the original gameplay with Team A > Team B and home choose PBD ON / OFF for tournaments. I would have played with the original KO2

About the definition of a bug: a bug is something that leads to an unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways.
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:38 pm

Thanks Gianluca,
Following you definition of bug: what it is unexpected to happen if the goalkeeper has a perfect positioning on the trajectory, standing on the white line? It is unexpected the block of the ball or it is unexpected he lets to enter the ball 18 times in a 10 minutes match?
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:42 pm

I think the latter
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Lee W wrote:Do you guys really feel the need to have no keeper in the opponents net to score a goal? I personally feel like I should have my keeper in the net to give him and me a slight chance at least.

lobs can be saved and defended... keeper off the pitch is uncontrollable so i ask again, do you really feel the need to have the keeper off the pitch to get the ball in the net?

Also, watch Jorn's video above... it happens... not as much as in ko2 sure (altho MOST lobs are saved or missed), but matches irl don't usually end up 15-12 either... i challenge anyone to show me a video of a goalie running off the pitch 'to take a drink' while someone puts the ball in an empty net.. this is getting sad now to be honest, lobs aren't comparable to the keeper off the pitch bug in any way, it's just that you don't like them, passionately it seems, i get that, they are silly and are less skilful than some of the goals you guys are capable of... but they are fair and within game 'parameters' if ya like... ...yet you defend, equally as, if not more, passionately, a goal that is most certainly a bug that enables a player to score with virtually 100% success rate because there's no keeper in the net...
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:48 pm

Lee, start up a vote. See what proportion of players would like to stop the goalie leaving the pitch. If its high enough (whatever level that is) it could become the default. Test the water at least :)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)