Pbd vs NoPbd

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pbd vs NoPbd

Postby manicx » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:18 pm

Steve Camber wrote:but I've found it suits my style of play

Yes, mine too. Never get into the penalty box and lob to death.
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:22 pm

manicx wrote:
Steve Camber wrote:but I've found it suits my style of play

Yes, mine too. Never get into the penalty box and lob to death.

like a boss!!
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:59 pm

The Dagh's video is very nice. and he was even very neutral in his words.
I'm a natural NOPBD player, like Steve. I played for 14 years NOPBD because I was one of the very few players playing with the best ever kick off verson: the 1MB Extended Version with overhead kicks.

Dagh didn't mentioned an important thing (but he said that with a shot video it is impossible to tell everything.) Anyway a thing I would have mentioned is that the PBD behaviour can be corrupted by the proximity of the defender: in fact if attacker and defender are running very near each other (shoulder to shoulder) the PBD is lost and the behaviour of the ball become NOPBD because of the defender's interference action range. So even if you are PBD and try to perform a PBD turn in the box, you are going to lose the ball 100% guaranteed.
Of course a NOPBD player hasn't such interference as it affects just the PBD behaviour. Although the proximity interference is always present.
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:19 pm

In the video Dagh didn't mentione also that Gianluca (NOPBD Player) won 3 world cups before the 2 of Spyros.
To say that NOPBD has his merits. As I always said, with PDB you can score a more variety of goals but it is less precise. In a tournament where nerves have a significant weight, to make mistakes due to PBD can mean the difference between to win and to lose. With NOPBD you have less solutions but they are more consistent. it is more difficult to fall in a mistaken move in the box when you are playing NOBPD.
Apart the most effective aftertouch (as rightly said by Dagh) the other advantage to use NOPBD is that in a PBD run, the ball reduces the distance between itself and the defender that is following the attacker, so, although they are running at (almost) the same speed, the defender can be able to steal the ball. In NOPBD the defender that is following the attacker at (almost) the same speed, he has never the room to reach the ball.
To avoid to be reached by the defender, PBD player must continuously to adjust the run, every time with the risk to lose the ball in a mistaken turn.

Anyway, to perform a great goal with PBD is really gratifying.
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:59 pm

PBD has also another big advantage that no one mentioned before: collisions.
When the players is running having the ball exactly below the body he will win 100% of the collisions between defender and attacker.
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:27 pm

TheFoxSoft wrote:PBD has also another big advantage that no one mentioned before: collisions.
When the players is running having the ball exactly below the body he will win 100% of the collisions between defender and attacker.

never knew that
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:31 pm

PBD is filth, basically :)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:01 am

Steve Camber wrote:PBD is filth, basically :)

Agree. Despicable filth :D

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO.
thor

Postby thor » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Torchiador wrote:So even if you are PBD and try to perform a PBD turn in the box, you are going to lose the ball 100% guaranteed.

This happens to me sometimes when I try to make a quick 180-270+shoot in "one move", and I end up fouling the defender instead. I wonder if the result would be different with trapfix enabled?
Fred/Typical
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:16 am

TheFoxSoft wrote:PBD has also another big advantage that no one mentioned before: collisions.

Put in these terms it could seem that the PBD players should win all the collisions. Thing that doesn't happen to my eyes.
You should explain that in kick off every single pixel is divided in 16384 sub pixels in which it is possible to define the precise position of the ball and the player on THE SUB PIXEL. That said, it would be understandable that it is very rare that ball and player have exactly the same position, even more, makeing it to match to the precise moment of the collision with the opponent. That explains that 99,99% you are going to have a collision with Cox, a couple of prayers and few patches in the pocket and some ice are surely welcome.
Talking about things never mentioned before: do you know that also NOPBD players have got PBD? for 0,5 seconds, every time that it is performed a stop and go. every time you stop the ball, once you move again you have 0,5 second of pure, crystalline, delicious PBD madness. In which it is possible to apply what you mentioned about collisions. So that kind of VERY rare behaviour occurs to NOPBD players too. Just to say that that "big advantage" doesn't belong exclusively to PBD players.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:18 am

Its 65536x65536 sub pixels.
That's 4294967296, not 16384 :)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:19 am

yes but you should trap the ball in order to achieve the same result
And it is really difficult to trap the ball with NOPBD in penalty box area in competitive matches.
My idea is not changed since 10 years ago, PBD players have a big advantage and the most likely scenario was a future with every player playing with PBD ON.
10 years later (now 2015) this happened.
During my last world cup I was really annoyed to concede goals that 80% of them I just could have not be able to score with PBD OFF.
In all honesty

Torchiador wrote:

Put in these terms it could seem that the PBD players should win all the collisions. Thing that doesn't happen to my eyes.
You should explain that in kick off every single pixel is divided in 16384 sub pixels in which it is possible to define the precise position of the ball and the player on THE SUB PIXEL. That said, it would be understandable that it is very rare that ball and player have exactly the same position, even more, makeing it to match to the precise moment of the collision with the opponent. That explains that 99,99% you are going to have a collision with Cox, a couple of prayers and few patches in the pocket and some ice are surely welcome.
Talking about things never mentioned before: do you know that also NOPBD players have got PBD? for 0,5 seconds, every time that it is performed a stop and go. every time you stop the ball, once you move again you have 0,5 second of pure, crystalline, delicious PBD madness. In which it is possible to apply what you mentioned about collisions. So that kind of VERY rare behaviour occurs to NOPBD players too. Just to say that that "big advantage" doesn't belong exclusively to PBD players.