The KO2CV Wish List: Revisited

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Re: The KO2CV Wish List: Revisited

Postby Steve Camber » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:11 pm

That would be very hard to get working reliably, there's a lot of stuff to store and restore.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:41 pm

thor wrote:Perhaps this is already possible and I have missed the option. Would it be possible to add a checkpoint feature (snapshot of the game-state) that can be returned to? For example, if I pause the game and press a key, a snapshot is created and then later I can pause again and jump back to that state? This would be useful for practicing certain situations over and over again. Not sure how much memory the game state (and if it is scattered or not) takes up, and how much memory is still available.

you can do this on UAE so maybe, just for corner/free kick practice, have a go on that?
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
thor

Postby thor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:12 pm

I think there is a quicksave/restore in UAE, yes?
Fred/Typical
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:29 am

I seem to remember that none other than Dagh used such a feature of UAE to see which approach on goal is most promising from certain positions. Try the forum search function.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:49 am

on UAE, hit F12 while paused where you want it saved, goto the 'miscellaneous' tab under 'host'... then use the save and load state buttons
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:51 am

is it possible to wish that the keeper staying on the pitch becomes a fix rather than an option that's not used in competitions?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:53 am

You are free to wish, although as it affects the vital ball-going-in-the-net ability it won't be a standard feature of any tournament any time soon.
Similarly I've not even tried to repair the dodgy holes in the side netting.
--
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Lee W

Postby Lee W » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:25 am

but pbd aids in exploiting that bug which is affecting the ball going in the net right? surely this just helps the top players and sticks it to the little man? top players are gonna score tons of goals anyway and beat us little guys, so how come there's an aid to help them score an exploit goal on top of that?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:23 pm

PBD is a special case, some of us grew up with PBD, some of us without it. It wouldn't be fair to force one group to play in an unnatural way, so this is a compromise.
Anyway, PBD is more about manoeuvering around the penalty box than the final shot into goal.

Both players are free to score the same types of goals. If you ban certain goal types, in general the stronger player will still win. Unless it's lobs. Nobody gets to ban lobs at all, ever.. ok?
--

Lee W

Postby Lee W » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:34 pm

no one is saying ban a goal, i'm just sayin fix the keeper sitting in the stands so it's not exploiting a bug all the time... how can that be a bad thing? the goal can still be scored, but at least gives the defending team a FAIR chance

I bring this up because it's clear the scene needs more players, but this will put new players off coming to competitions n stuff once they see the 50th exploit goal go past them.
the top players surely don't NEED to use this do they?? that's what i can't get my head around, why is the little guy being stamped on here? I don't mind losing 20-0, but losing 1-0 to a goal that's arrived from using a bug is wrong imo
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:52 pm

I would vote FOR the removal of the Keeper-bug anytime. I find that bug to be the absolutely most stupid bug ever, and I just can't accept it as making any sense none what so ever.
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Agreed, it sucks, which is why I had to fix it.
I'd happily make that one permanent if only to spare Dino any further embarrassment :)
Yet the wider KOA would have to be consulted and that's where the war begins. People have developed the skill to make the keeper do that, why punish them? etc etc etc
A better solution would be to remove the reward for hammering newbies, such as any goals over 5 more than the opponent do not count towards goal difference or best scorer trophy. Not sure how workable that would be, but I don't like trashing newbies just because others in my group are doing it and basically whoever was the biggest bastard gets to qualify for the next round.
--

Lee W

Postby Lee W » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:09 pm

i don't think anyone minds losing to tons of goals, if they're legit goals... it's just that one goal when the keeper is off the pitch.

as for punishing players who've developed the skill to make the keeper run off the pitch, i'm pretty sure they have many more skills to score many more kinds of goals... and it's not like that goal wouldn't be doable anymore, it'd just be saveable sometimes... I don't blame players for using the bug, but deep down i don't think anyone can argue that it's fair, especially to the noobs.

would it be possible to at least have it as optional if both players are in agreement until a more permanent solution is voted on?