KO2CV - 1.04

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: KO2CV - 1.04

Postby gdh82 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:37 am

I'm not sure who came up with the suggestion but I think what Steve is trying to achieve is good thing. Like Kostas said its about freedom of choice. I doubt we'd ever consider an option where one player chooses PBD for both?

I really hope this discussion stays constructive and doesn't descend like others have. This wouldn't be good for the KOA of course. Everyone has their preferences but I'm sure we can be respectful of eaach other position.

It seems from the posts so far that most are not against the idea in principle but the implementation of it. I too agree that the implementation of it could be 'smoother'. My suggestion wouldn't be push these choices to the options screen, but to change the layout of how they are currently displayed. Imho it would be best if all three choices could be shown at once in whatever default position is agreed for a tournament. By default again the DONE button would be highlighted so single press would take you straight into the game. Each player, however, would have the choice to press up so change the yes/no preferences as he wished. This should be easy and take a couple of seconds only. It would be much the same as using the screen to set your starting tactic. You could change it if you wanted to or simply skip through this screen otherwise.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:44 am

gdh82 wrote:It seems from the posts so far that most are not against the idea in principle but the implementation of it.

Yes, at least in my case that is what it's about. Whether your suggestion is implemented or mine (or a third one that Steve can think of), that would be fine by me.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Kostas O

Postby Kostas O » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 am

Don't worry Garry, i started this talk to help find the best way for all to implement all this freedom.

alkis21 wrote:With these options off by default, the team selection screen will be like in KO2CV1.03. If you turn them on, it will be like KO2CV1.04. I think this would be the best solution because forcing this selection in the beginning of every game for the off chance that some weird people in the future will want to play a mixed game doesn't seem right to me. In fact, I can't think of anyone who would want his players to slide and not his opponent's.

I don't think i can come up with a better idea. It is nice to have these options but not by default.

alkis21 wrote:Kostas O wrote:
And now that i mentioned it, can't you toggle the PBD during the game any more? One could like changing or even using a different setting for different attacking styles.

#9 and 0 are free.
And i can tell you that having all tactics on a button is nice but not that great. I use balanced and using shift isn't much of a problem. Of course it is fine this way if the # keys are free but i could live without it if they could be used for something else.

alkis21 wrote:I've never met anyone who changed his PDB control mid-game on purpose, in fact I believe it was more of a problem because it was too easy to press 5 by mistake. I think losing that feature in favor of the one-press tactics is a step forward.

I haven't either but i wouldn't be surprised if someone did. If i had a dedicated button on my joystick i know i would try to.
Please Steve put it back on the keyboard. #0 is the obvious choice.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:41 pm

I'll put some more time into it and come up with something even more user-friendly.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:46 pm

Much appreciated. :P Let's make it less cumbersome and more cambersome! (see what I did there?)

cambersome
Function: adjective

1 : expressive of awe <cambersome tribute>
2 a : inspiring awe <a cambersome task>
b : terrific, extraordinary <had a cambersome time>
— camber·some·ly adverb
— camber·some·ness noun
goalkeeper

Postby goalkeeper » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:27 pm

alkis21 wrote: that some weird people in the future will want to play a mixed game doesn't seem right to me. In fact, I can't think of anyone who would want his players to slide and not his opponent's.

me, sorry i´m weird!
Why:
for example Cornelius and me
Statistic: 10 victories me, 2 Cornelius; goal difference at my 10 victories about 2
so if we could get the goaldifference down to 1(0) because my players slide and his not, i would agree if Cornelius ask, because it are not the victories or defeats that stay in my mind. It are these great close games that stay forever in my mind!
Sorry, sounds for me like big fun, but i know i´m the last dreaming weird Kickoff romanticer.
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 pm

I don't get it. Are we saying that I can now play with my players exhibiting default KO2 slide behaviour while my opponent can choose to have his players not sliding?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:I don't get it. Are we saying that I can now play with my players exhibiting default KO2 slide behaviour while my opponent can choose to have his players not sliding?

This is correct. Each player gets to use their preferred control setting.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Oliver St

Postby Oliver St » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:46 am

Steve Camber wrote:
Bounty Bob wrote:I don't get it. Are we saying that I can now play with my players exhibiting default KO2 slide behaviour while my opponent can choose to have his players not sliding?

This is correct. Each player gets to use their preferred control setting.

I am absolutely against this new option with due respect to Steve's work. Finally it will be a clear advantage for lower skilled players that have more issues with the slide bug. Those players should rather try to get a hang of it by improving their own gameplay and timing instead of asking for a technical solution. What's next? A button that prevents you from missing the target? Extended PBD all over the pitch? If we continue that way we could play Microprose Soccer aswell one day.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:11 am

Oliver, your post is either two years late or one day late (April Fool's). :)

Discussions on the sliding bugs have been going on for ages. This is just a feature in the new competition version, and as with every other feature it is not obligatory for any tournament organizer to use.
Oliver St

Postby Oliver St » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:34 pm

alkis21 wrote:Discussions on the sliding bugs have been going on for ages.

I know and i have always been against it.

alkis21 wrote: This is just a feature in the new competition version, and as with every other feature it is not obligatory for any tournament organizer to use.

I am aware of that, too. I just want to make it clear that we won't use this feature in the world cup and I won't discuss or negotiate about it. End of story.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:48 pm

It is within your rights as a co-organizer of the world cup to decide on what rules will be fixed and what will be voted on (if any). And I know that when the time comes, you will find a more polite way of declaring it to your guests.
goalkeeper

Postby goalkeeper » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:44 pm

O.K. i don´t want to do this public before we talked in an inner circle about that, but here are my thoughts to this:

1) My theory is that we are all old enough to talk eachother before a match in a respectfull way, so
2) both player can agree if they like a match where everybody play the settings he likes
3) if they can´t agree eachother they must play the settings the organizers told, from my site it´s your view auto/unintended on

I hope for fairness, so(example with me for off and Oliver for on)
a) if you say "no", i don´t start a fight and take it as a man

(example with Oliver and Garry)
b) if you would meet Garry in your last groupmatch and your ass is already safe for the gold group, would it be soooooo hard for you to give him the fun to play what he likes?

Guys find together and let´s be all happy :roll: