Bridging the Autoslide Divide in the UK ?

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Bridging the Autoslide Divide in the UK ?

Postby gdh82 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:07 pm

Me, Ste and Si had a chat on the way home from Newent about the apparent ‘split’ emerging within the UK KO2 scene.

It feels as if invites to our tournies are hardly acknowledged let alone taken up, whereas we only get to hear about their ‘exclusive’ tournies after the event. I’m not saying I wanted to and could have attended Waynie’s and Bbob’s recent tourney’s (I didn't and couldn’t) but it just doesn’t seem the KOA way, that’s all.

Its seems that tournament settings seem to be an obstacle to certain players even attending an event ?

One fairly obvious suggestion to overcome this is to have different home and away settings. At NEWENT/KOBRA/KOOHL tourney we could play without autoslides etc whereas for a KORA/HEATHROW/HERTFORD tournies we could play with them on ? Alternatively the ‘travelling’ team could decide the settings so to add to the incentive for travelling ? I say all this with the longer term future in mind, say next year.

What do others think about this or other suggestions ? As I’ve said repeatedly before I still maintain that we have so much more in common that what divides us. I’m particulary interested to hear the views of Stainy, Waynie, Sid as well as Bbob.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Re: Bridging the Autoslide Divide in the UK ?

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:11 pm

Why should anyone have to play in a way that pisses them off? I've said it before, if everyone wants to play with autoslides off, then I'm 100% happy not to attend. I don't want to have the settings dictated by my views and everyone else to have a less enjoyable tournament.
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:21 pm

I suggest that there is an easy answer to this.

In the old days, some people wanted to play with PBD and others without. We made it selectable for each player.

Nowadays, some people want to play with Autoslides and others without. I say we make it selectable for each player.
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Robert Swift wrote:I suggest that there is an easy answer to this.

In the old days, some people wanted to play with PBD and others without. We made it selectable for each player.

Nowadays, some people want to play with Autoslides and others without. I say we make it selectable for each player.

Fucking A!! yes.. thats the best thing you`ve said all week !!

BBob, how`d you feel about that ?
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:53 pm

I was going to post this on Sunday but it seems more appropiate to put it here:

Another way of getting round this issue is to play each person an equal amount of time. So it's either x2 or x4 (or if you'r feeling crazy a x8)

Lets say we play a x2...for the first half we play with Autoslides on and the second half we play with Autoslides off.

Would any of the people (who would otherwise not attend a tournament) attend a tournament with such a rule in place?

Just seems a shame that people attended many tournaments with them off but now they seem to be an issue and it affects tournaments (hence why I havent hosted in ages) - just when I'm starting to win a few games as well hehe
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:08 pm

Stainy wrote:

Fucking A!! yes.. thats the best thing you`ve said all week !!

BBob, how`d you feel about that ?

It depends what Swift is suggesting. If he's suggesting that I pick what my opponents players do, then it's a great idea. If he's suggesting that I pick what my players do, then why would I want to make them slide when my opponents aren't? That would be a major disadvantage.
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:13 pm

The difference is that people could have spent 10+ years playing with a control method. Nobody spent 10+ years playing without autoslides, so who are we catering to?

What annoys me more than auto slides is players that can't kick straight. We've got rid of the aggression stat and made our players stay on their feet, can we now get rid of the stat that dictates whether or not they kick straight? Just think of the possibilities, every pass will go exactly where you want it to, no more Barrett fuck ups. How awesome would that be? After that, we can get rid of the stat that affects whether or not the keeper catches the ball. Sometimes it bounces off of him and it's annoying. Imagine how pure Kick Off would be if the keeper never fucked up. Awesome.
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:15 pm

Steve1977 wrote:I was going to post this on Sunday but it seems more appropiate to put it here:

Another way of getting round this issue is to play each person an equal amount of time. So it's either x2 or x4 (or if you'r feeling crazy a x8)

Lets say we play a x2...for the first half we play with Autoslides on and the second half we play with Autoslides off.

Would any of the people (who would otherwise not attend a tournament) attend a tournament with such a rule in place?

Just seems a shame that people attended many tournaments with them off but now they seem to be an issue and it affects tournaments (hence why I havent hosted in ages) - just when I'm starting to win a few games as well hehe
Steve, the only player that isn't coming to the tournaments because of the settings is me. Who else from round here has ventured up to the midlands regularly and would have their attendance affected? Host away my friend. :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:49 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:If anyone wants to come to mine for a tournament with world cup settings, they're more than welcome. Pick a Wednesday between now and the 8th November and I'll sort it out.

That's so good to hear, Mark, and definately in the spirit of the KOA! :) :) :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:55 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:What annoys me more than auto slides is players that can't kick straight. We've got rid of the aggression stat and made our players stay on their feet, can we now get rid of the stat that dictates whether or not they kick straight? Just think of the possibilities, every pass will go exactly where you want it to, no more Barrett fuck ups. How awesome would that be? After that, we can get rid of the stat that affects whether or not the keeper catches the ball. Sometimes it bounces off of him and it's annoying. Imagine how pure Kick Off would be if the keeper never fucked up. Awesome.

Stop trying to change the game engine bob! ;)

It's the bugs which are dropping one by one. We've all had to put up with them for 10+ years but their days are numbered.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:01 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:I've said it before, if everyone wants to play with autoslides off, then I'm 100% happy not to attend.

Just be clear - are you saying there are no circumstances when you would be willing to play with autoslides off ? I ask this because you seemed to indicate that if it weren't for your recent holiday plans, you would have been willing to come to the Newent tourney that John H attended despite the lack of autoslides?

Bounty Bob wrote:I don't want to have the settings dictated by my views and everyone else to have a less enjoyable tournament.

Would it make any difference to you knowing that although you were playing the one tourney without your preferred settings, you would know that the return tourney would be exactly as you like it ?

Alternatively, there's Steve's suggestion of changing the settings within a single tourney, so an equal number of rounds per setting ?

You can see we're just trying to come up with ideas that appeals to everyone... :)

PS Very interesting idea about standardising/maximising the shooting attribute of all players btw but that's a subject for another thread I reckon.

alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:14 pm

gdh82 wrote:PS Very interesting idea about standardising/maximising the shooting attribute of all players btw but that's a subject for another thread I reckon.

He was being sarcastic for crying out loud...
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:18 pm

alkis21 wrote:He was being sarcastic for crying out loud...

Well we know that but shhhhhhhhh! ;)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)