Fresh start, need some help

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

InTercepto
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Fresh start, need some help

Postby InTercepto » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:13 pm

Hey guys. I was really surprised when I got to this website and saw how many people still play kick off games today. That was one of my favorite games ever, and I still gave best memories from those days when my friends and I were playing tournaments and spending day after day mastering the game... oh, we were really good at it.
Well, I am reactivating again and playing it on winuae... the only problem is that I tried playing with joypad and keyboard and it sucks. I want really to buy digital joystick... but I am wondering if the http://www.vesalia.de/e_competitionusb.htm?slc=us produced for PC (USB version) is good for it, can it work with Winuae?
What about Kick off online version... do you guys play with each other, and is there any delay?
User avatar
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Posts: 2727
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby Tripod » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:25 am

Welcome!

Of course you can't play KO2 without a proper joystick. Our forum members were mostly disappointed by the new Comp Pro as you can read in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13189

It's certainly better than no joystick (or a Quickshot). But most people switch to a proper Amiga stick and use an adaptor to play on the PC. Our Wiki has the information you need: http://ko-gathering.com/wiki/index.php?title=Joysticks
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
User avatar
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!
Posts: 6197
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby gdh82 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:35 am

InTercepto wrote:That was one of my favorite games ever, and I still gave best memories from those days when my friends and I were playing tournaments and spending day after day mastering the game...


Hi InTercepto,

Sounds like you'll be very at home here - the great game lives on in these parts! 8)

I share Alex's opinion on the Comp Pro USB even though it enabled me to get back into KO2 again on winuae after a long, long break. :) Many of us pick up an amiga/joysticks off ebay or freecycle - you just can't beat the real thing! :)

Although I find there is a delay with the online game, there's a group of guys who are regulars and knowing far more about these things, manage to tweak the settings to keep it to a miniumum. To find useful links about this and lots of other KO2 stuff, do check out the red link in my signature....

Where are you from btw ? The KOA has active players all over europe! The best way to enjoy KO2 is to attend a KOA tourney (or even host your own!) 8)

Welcome to the forum and seeya around....
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Posts: 2919
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:30 pm

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby Steve1977 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi Intercepto, always good to have another new guy come around these parts.

Kick Off 2 is superb aint it? Quick, fast paced and plenty of excitement - like all football games are meant to be!
___________________________________________________________________
World Cup 2010 - 8th Place
UK Champs 2011 - Runner Up
UK Champs 2010 - Winner
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
InTercepto
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby InTercepto » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:30 pm

Thanks for your replies. I am so excited to get back to the game.
Tripod... I'll check on that thread, but I think I will start with the competition pro for now and maybe buy additional joystick with adapter later on. Wiki was of great help, I read almost everything. Some of you guys are really good.
Gdh...I am from Croatia(Europe) but I am working in USA/Los Angeles for last year. I suppose none of people over here play soccer games, they have their own football (boring :) ) I hope in few years to visit some tournaments, who knows... once I get proper training. :D
Steve ... yes, Kick off is one of the most intuitive games I ever played... you just don't have time to think about what to do you just do it based on some inner intuition. Maybe I would not call it a soccer simulator since it is more arcade version, but nevertheless it is amazing game, and it is what every game should be... expirience like going on roller coaster ride.

For now I am playing with keyboard, but I can only score 1-2 goals per game. :?
User avatar
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!
Posts: 6197
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby gdh82 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:00 am

InTercepto wrote: Kick off is one of the most intuitive games I ever played... you just don't have time to think about what to do you just do it based on some inner intuition. Maybe I would not call it a soccer simulator since it is more arcade version, but nevertheless it is amazing game, and it is what every game should be... expirience like going on roller coaster ride.


I completely agree that KO2 is like arcade footy too - fast and furious - with a depth of gameplay that keeps us coming back for more after all this time! 8)

Funny you should mention LA as a english guy working there commented on my KO2 YouTube site a while back and he sounded keen to play again too. Btw, if it isn't a dumb question, so KO2 and the amiga was big in Croatia back in the day ?
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
InTercepto
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby InTercepto » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:46 pm

gdh82 wrote:I completely agree that KO2 is like arcade footy too - fast and furious - with a depth of gameplay that keeps us coming back for more after all this time! 8)

Funny you should mention LA as a english guy working there commented on my KO2 YouTube site a while back and he sounded keen to play again too. Btw, if it isn't a dumb question, so KO2 and the amiga was big in Croatia back in the day ?


Ha... that would be great ... to get in contact with people from Europe over here and do a tournament. I am sure a lot guys of my age came to work here. I saw on youtube the comment that guy left so I will be contacting him after my vacations.
As for the KO2 in Croatia, I suppose a lot people played it. In my gang (around 1990) there has been around 6 of us playing KO2 for few years on friends Amiga.. My friend that lived like 50m was the only one that had amiga at that time. Later on I got Atari ST and play Final Whistle for a long time. But, eventually we grown up and everybody went on his own way, we were not playing any more... actually two of my friends played Goal! but I was always a fan of KO2, ah they were losers in KO2 so that's probably the reason they played Goal! :)
How are things in Italy, how often do you have tournaments? You are from Italy if I am right?
User avatar
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!
Posts: 6197
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby gdh82 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:08 pm

InTercepto wrote:As for the KO2 in Croatia, I suppose a lot people played it. In my gang (around 1990) there has been around 6 of us playing KO2 for few years on friends Amiga.. My friend that lived like 50m was the only one that had amiga at that time. Later on I got Atari ST and play Final Whistle for a long time. But, eventually we grown up and everybody went on his own way, we were not playing any more... actually two of my friends played Goal! but I was always a fan of KO2, ah they were losers in KO2 so that's probably the reason they played Goal! :)


Hehe. Likewise I used to play with my bro (who moved on to Goal too!) and a mate across the road, Simon K. Many years later I find this site and rediscover the great game too !

The youtube video was by Gianni - KOA Rank #1 - he's from Milan, Italy. I'm from Birmingham, England where KOBRA was born! Numbers of players wise, I gather England, Germany and Italy are the biggest KOA countries, although Greece must be up there too.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
User avatar
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Posts: 2727
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby Tripod » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:29 am

Probably every "serious" KO2 player felt the same with Goal! Was quite exicting at first, new graphics and sounds, but after a few sessions we had to go back to KO2, the gameplay is just much better.

I re-discovered the game and this website after buying Kick Off 2002, created by Steve Screech who had worked with Dino Dini on KO2. My old KO2 pal and I got into that (with him on a gamepad and me on the keyboard at first!) but then we switched back to the original on WinUAE. In the new version the advertising boards pointed to this website and people were organising a World Cup in Holland and I had always wondered how good other players really are. And I was beaten heavily. But I picked up the essential tricks and improved upon my performance in later years.

You can find quite a few World Cup games as downloadable avis or even on Youtube and see what the best can do. Though don't be fooled, I know a few people had the same feeling as I did when watching the videos first and thinking "sure, I can play like that". But it's a different story when you actually have to play against the top players.

I wouldn't mind trying online play again - the last time I did, it was laggy and that's deadly with KO2. A real shame. Well, I'm booked for the next World Cup in Athens in November so I can finally get to play (lose) again!
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
InTercepto
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby InTercepto » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:07 am

Hey guys.... after a long time on vacations I am back. Just wanted to thank you all for your help.
I got the new Competition Pro this week... came from Germany, it's funny there is no place in US to buy it. Well, it feels kind of strange to use joystick again... I expected to score a goals with ease, but it seams that I have a long way to go. Maybe I forgot how to play with joystick or forgot how to play KO2, but I am training. I was playing against the computer yesterday and scored 3 goals in game, but it was so hard. Well, after almost 15 years, maybe that's normal.
Is there any video to see how are U guys playing against computer?
User avatar
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Concord,NC, USA
Contact:

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby Stainy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:52 am

InTercepto wrote:Hey guys.... after a long time on vacations I am back. Just wanted to thank you all for your help.
I got the new Competition Pro this week... came from Germany, it's funny there is no place in US to buy it. Well, it feels kind of strange to use joystick again... I expected to score a goals with ease, but it seams that I have a long way to go. Maybe I forgot how to play with joystick or forgot how to play KO2, but I am training. I was playing against the computer yesterday and scored 3 goals in game, but it was so hard. Well, after almost 15 years, maybe that's normal.
Is there any video to see how are U guys playing against computer?


Welcome InTercepto :) glad you came back... :) That joystiock isn`t great :( but if thats the best you can do at the moment... then stick with it... best thing is to get a regular joystick of choice and get one of those adaptors that are on the wiki.

gdh is your best guy for training.. I forget where the thread is for training and vids etc...

:)
Image
Robert Swift
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16336
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 12:00 am

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby Robert Swift » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:18 am

InTercepto I think I remember a guy called Ivan Condor (?) with a gang of KO2 players in Croatia. Are you connected with them in any way?
InTercepto
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Fresh start, need some help

Postby InTercepto » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:45 pm

Stainy wrote:Welcome InTercepto :) glad you came back... :) That joystiock isn`t great :( but if thats the best you can do at the moment... then stick with it... best thing is to get a regular joystick of choice and get one of those adaptors that are on the wiki.

gdh is your best guy for training.. I forget where the thread is for training and vids etc...

:)

Hey. Mine joystick is not so bad, it's way better than keyboard. It was a little bit hard to move stick at the beginning but now it's easier after hours of using it. So you are saying that old Compet Pro is so much better that the new one... but you can't get old one any more, and I suppose on ebay everyone is already used so it's a gamble to buy it if you don't know in what condition it is?
For now I'll stick to this one till I get better and maybe find some company to play with. :D

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests