Re-noob

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Yoda
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re-noob

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:10 pm

Have been playing PM again for a few years on and off and am disappointed that UPM fell by the wayside. Now have been trawling the forums today to get back into KO2 through WinUAE. Despite being a KO2 legend in my bedroom in the KO2 heydey I have been fascinated by the amount of stuff posted here that I didn't know or didn't do, particularly in the "Everything....." thread. I do have a few questions:

1 - Is it worth me persevering with keyboard control? Does anyone have spare joystick paraphernalia to lend/sell?

2 - Are there any KOAers in the Northants/Beds/Cambs area?

3 - I haven't read anything on KOA about importing PM teams into KO2. I'm sure this was possible, but I can't remeber how to do it? Is it frowned upon in tournaments?

Think thats it for now. Hope to get time to practice.

Cheers
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: Re-noob

Postby gdh82 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:20 pm

Yoda wrote:1 - Is it worth me persevering with keyboard control? Does anyone have spare joystick paraphernalia to lend/sell?

2 - Are there any KOAers in the Northants/Beds/Cambs area?

3 - I haven't read anything on KOA about importing PM teams into KO2. I'm sure this was possible, but I can't remeber how to do it? Is it frowned upon in tournaments?

The KO2 force is clearly strong in you, Yoda, returning to the great game after all these years! :) 8) Welcome back!

1 - Drop the keyboard plans! If you can't get hold of a joystick via us lot, then there's always ebay. Getting yourself along to a local tourney could also help in this department.

2 - Active KOA Players (by country) Maybe Ely needs some KO2 re-activation in Bedford? ;)

3 - I don't know how to do it either but importing teams is possible. The ground rules for any tourney insist on international teams. You may know that within KO2CV there are 8 tactics available, although there is talk of developing some new KOA approved tactics!
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:17 pm

From a general point of view, I don't think keyboard is so well-suited for Kick Off because you often want to do "rolling" changes of direction and also instant up-to-down (or vice-versa) changes. This is hard to do on a keyboard.

On a more subjective note, if you used a joystick when gaming a lot as a young one, a joystick will probably always feel the most natural way for you.

Modern PC joysticks are good for flight simulators, but bad for the kind of arcade-like control used in Amiga games.

To get a "retro" joystick, there are two reasonable options (when you play on a PC using WinUAE). The first one is to buy this one:

http://www.vesalia.de/e_competitionusb.htm

It's a remake of the most popular Amiga joystick. It comes with a USB connector so that it fits a PC. The quality of this remade joystick is reputedly not quite as good as it was back then, but it's a simple and cheap but big step towards "the real thing" (compared to using keyboard or a joypad).

The second option is to get two things: a real Amiga joystick, and an adapter so that it can be used on a PC.

To get an adapter, look in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14847

To get a real Amiga joystick, look on Ebay. I have seen practically all popular models from back then for offer there. They usually cost around 5-8 Euro.
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Hey Yoda.. nice to see you here :)

I`ll be quick... I`m in Hertford... infact there`s a couple of us in Hertford... kinda near where you were looking at :)

Hope to see you soon in a tornament!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:36 pm

Stainy wrote:Hey Yoda.. nice to see you here :)

I`ll be quick... I`m in Hertford... infact there`s a couple of us in Hertford... kinda near where you were looking at :)

Be great to hear of more regular KO2 tourney action down your way again....

Yoda, Stainy and Bounty Bob.... may a fourth be with you! :D
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Sid was hassling me earlier today about playing again.
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Stainy wrote:Hey Yoda.. nice to see you here :)

Nearish, from what he said I assume he's in Rushden near Wellinborough, rather than the Rushden that's considerably nearer to us. May be wrong though.

And that's assuming that his location listed as Rushden is real and not some Jedi mind trick intended to fool us.
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:Sid was hassling me earlier today about playing again.

And I was hassling you the week previous :)
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:45 pm

Stainy wrote:
Bounty Bob wrote:Sid was hassling me earlier today about playing again.

And I was hassling you the week previous :)

So you were. :D
Yoda
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:00 pm

Nearish, from what he said I assume he's in Rushden near Wellinborough, rather than the Rushden that's considerably nearer to us. May be wrong though.

Indeed, Rushden near Wellingborough.

1 - Good, I'll blame the control method for my crapness then. :lol: Last night, I was Holland and lost 4-0 to Sweden a couple of times. Did manage a 1-1 draw with the Scots though. I found I couldn't change tactics in the team screen before the match using the keyboard. At the moment I'm pretty skint so I'll be after the cheapest joystick options, though KO2 was a joystick wrecker for me previously so maybe a sturdy option will be cheaper in the long run. EUR18 + p&p for the USb one linked to is more than I hoped to pay so I might scour ebay and take a chance on a 2nd hand one. I had a great Cheetah joystick in th 90s, but when that died the subsequent Cheetahs weren't the same, so flitted across various brands and types though never being fulfilled.

If the tourneys are done with an Amiga, I'll guess I'll have to get an Amiga one eventually anyway. Can't sponge of everyone else forever - student days are over.

2 - Looks like there are a few well within an hours drive but I haven't got an Amiga any more so I don't think I'll be hosting a tourney myself, but I should be able to come along if it fits in with family commitments. :roll: If anyone sets one up, please keep me in mind. Cheers.

3 - I guessed it wouldn't be possible for tourneys, but I'd like to set up my own little league of PM teams to practice with. Maybe I need to go through the various screens in more details
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:02 pm

Importing Player Manager teams is pretty straight forward. Let me know if you have any questions.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:45 pm

Yoda wrote:If anyone sets one up, please keep me in mind. Cheers.
Don't forget to keep an eye on the tournaments forum as most are usually arranged there in advance. I'm sure you'll be welcomed by anyone that is taking the time to organise a gathering.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:
Yoda wrote:If anyone sets one up, please keep me in mind. Cheers.
Don't forget to keep an eye on the tournaments forum as most are usually arranged there in advance. I'm sure you'll be welcomed by anyone that is taking the time to organise a gathering.

What Bbob said! :)

Another way to quickly see what tourney's are coming up.... ko-gathering.com/tournaments which is usually in my signature anyway..

Hopefully I'll be hosting a KOBRA (Birmingham) tourney in mid August so if you want to be included in the email I'll be sending out, just drop me a pm :)